[MOD] Incursor Cruiser (v0.9c)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Supj

Re: [MOD] Incursor Cruiser (v0.9b)

Postby Supj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

I got absolutely annihilated by an AI ship because my game didn't pause when I went to do some youtube stuff.. Forgot I had that option turned off. I'll start a new game. =C

Hmm.. I often find myself wishing that I had some sort of no-cost laser at the beginning, if only to make room for the Arc Beam, since it does no hull damage and therefore has no shield penetration. I could suggest a few changes to promote a smarter, more cost-efficient playstyle.

1. Reduce charge time on the Arc Beam by a couple seconds, making it less of a gamble to hold multiple systems down.

2. Dump the Long-Range Scanners augmentation in favor of an early sensors upgrade/Start with a slug crew member on top of the 2 Zoltan.. You could always start with LRS and lv.2 sensors, but that might be pushing it, right?

3. Increase the amount of shots fired by the SRAC to 6 so that it has some sort of advantage over a burst laser, later in the game. As it stands, burst lasers are capable of doing more damage at no cost.

(Might want to ignore the third one, I didn't factor in the charge time of the SRAC.. Gonna leave it there, just for thought.)

I feel like I have so much to say, and plenty of good ideas but I don't know how to say them.. Probably because it's really early here, I'll give myself some time.

Sorry if these seem like horrible ideas or are pulling the ship away from what you wanted it to be.
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Incursor Cruiser (v0.9c)

Postby Kieve » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 am

Some updates!
    Version 0.9c
  • Corrected sounds.xml filepath.
    -Weapon SFX should play properly now
  • Increased AMC damage to 3
    -Should help extend the Aurora's useful lifespan into later sectors
  • Decreased Bolide ion damage to 1
    -Technically still deals 2 Ion damage on shielded systems. 1 Ion as it passes through, 1 Ion to whatever it strikes.
    -A Bolide II variant will deal the full 2x2 damage, but require 2 power bars to use.
  • Removed "Long Range Scanners" upgrade from Archon
    -Replaced with lvl 2 Sensors. Good suggestion, Supj
  • Added proper Miniship image
    -...oops. :oops: Forgot about that, again.
Supj

Postby Supj » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I like it.

Gonna play again, soon.
Supj

Postby Supj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:42 am

Beat the game, second try!

I got really lucky, picked up a bunch of crew and managed to max out my weapons and shields by sector 6, but I guess my luck ran out, ended up taking a bunch of damage from a mantis ship and losing all my crew, apart from the 2 zoltan I started with.. Against all odds, I defeated the mothership.. Barely. Victory screen below, can kind of see my hull and stuff in the background.

Code: Select all

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8871/79805289.png

Awesome ship, please continue working on it in your spare time.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 am

Supj wrote:Beat the game, second try!

I got really lucky, picked up a bunch of crew and managed to max out my weapons and shields by sector 6, but I guess my luck ran out, ended up taking a bunch of damage from a mantis ship and losing all my crew, apart from the 2 zoltan I started with.. Against all odds, I defeated the mothership.. Barely. Victory screen below, can kind of see my hull and stuff in the background.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8871/79805289.png

Awesome ship, please continue working on it in your spare time.

Close one!
Glad you enjoy the ship. 'Bout the only thing left to do with it now I suppose is finish up the gibs.

As a side-note, if anyone wants to work on interior / room sprites, I would be happy to post the color palette and basic guidelines I've been using for Incursor stuff. The one thing I just can't seem to do is custom interior work, it's just too fiddly and frustrating for me to deal with properly.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm glad you used that beam idea I put on the Incursion page :)
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Kieve wrote:...The one thing I just can't seem to do is custom interior work, it's just too fiddly and frustrating for me to deal with properly.

...my God, he's actually human!
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

thashepherd wrote:
Kieve wrote:...The one thing I just can't seem to do is custom interior work, it's just too fiddly and frustrating for me to deal with properly.

...my God, he's actually human!

Shh! You'll ruin my rep! :shock:
Gwizz41

Postby Gwizz41 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 am

Great design! - it's very pleasing to the eye and looks nice but how to put the Default Title Soundtrack back?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Gwizz41 wrote:Great design! - it's very pleasing to the eye and looks nice but how to put the Default Title Soundtrack back?

It'll take a little bit of tweaking but it's not difficult if you know your way around a .ZIP file.
  • Rename the mod file from .FTL to .ZIP
  • Extract the files (You should get the DATA folder, as well as the IMG and AUDIO folders).
  • Go into "Data\sounds.xml.append" - you can open this with a simple text-editor like Notepad.
  • Comment out the music code with "<!--" like so:

<!--
    <music>
       <track>
          <name>title</name>
          <explore>bp_MUS_IncursorTitle.ogg</explore>
       </track>
    </music>
    -->

Or just erase it if you prefer.
  • Save the changes and zip everything back up (all three folders) such that you have "New_mod.zip\data|audio|img\" paths
  • Rename the .ZIP back to a .FTL file - for your own sanity, I'd also rename it to something you'll recognize and associate with the mod, like "KRS Incursor Cruiser v0.9-Silent.ftl"
    Then just run it through GMM and enjoy.

Also, guys please don't assume I know about various bugs. I'm working with a number of different files and it's not always obvious to me if something's goofed unless I erase my whole \resources\ and reinstall. Case in point, I just now discovered that the 0.9c Archon is offset incorrectly and jammed up in the top of the screen. Total derp moment for me (and fixed now).