Best possible ship

General discussion about the game.
whonichol

Best possible ship

Postby whonichol » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:07 am

I did a little searching and couldn't find a topic like this discussed. What would be the most perfect ship set up in vanilla Advanced Edition? I've been thinking a little about it and it seems the following would be unstoppable

2 Glaive Beams
Weapon Pre-igniter
Level 3 Hacking (so the Glaives can do their work)
Cloaking (So you can avoid any quick shots while Hacking is doing its work)
At least 40% evade (So no shots will land through Cloaking)
Defense Scrambler (So Hacking can get through, assuming you don't want to use the defense drone glitch)
I don't know, maybe Stealth Weapons?

Is there really anything else that you'd need or would be useful? Could there be a more effective theoretical set up?
Leylite

Re: Best possible ship

Postby Leylite » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Stealth Weapons does literally nothing for the setup described - beams don't subtract cloaking time even if fired in cloak; it's all other projectile weapons that do that.

Don't forget a Zoltan Shield, so that enemies can't board you, hack you or mind control you until your shield takes some damage.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Beams are not affected by cloak? That's news to me.
I think artillery doesn't affect cloak though.

But yeah other than that, it sounds like the best ship ever. Provided you have enough drone parts and replace Stealth Weapons with the Zoltan Shield as said in the post above.
Linkstore

Postby Linkstore » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:29 am

I disagree. Install CE and change the Glaives for Naginatas. With no shields it has a higher potential damage per shot, and on the off chand that an enemy can survive, the naginata charges faster.
PiratedChaos

Postby PiratedChaos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Good ship, but how are you gonna find the power for max weapons, max cloaking, and max hacking without weakening your own defenses?
Won on Hard: All ships! :D
Won on CE Hard: Kestrel A, Engi C, Federation B, Zoltan C, Slug A, Rock B
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Zolts?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:58 pm

I disagree. Install CE and change the Glaives for Naginatas. With no shields it has a higher potential damage per shot, and on the off chand that an enemy can survive, the naginata charges faster.

That's not a best possible vanilla ship layout. Otherwise I'd suggest we all use the Zoltan Flagship, where everything is in one room but powered by 8 Zoltan.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:24 am

Pre-igniter, twin Flak-2's and a Pike Beam for blowing stuff up.
Drone with 1 Defense 1 + 1 Overshield (overshields layer up while enemies are cloaked), hull repair in cargo, for not getting blown up.
Teleporter for maximizing loot. Sending boarders to blow up the mothership 3x missile is something pretty much everyone does right off the bat, although there's a good chance you'll destroy the mothership before the boarders even finish with this weapon loadout. Get them out before it blows up!
Mind Control for boarding assist / mind control defense. Which carefully chosen, trained, and positioned member of my crew can I afford to have turn? None!

Two more augments ... trike weapon reloaders? Is there ever a cap or does cooldown reduction always stack? Drone recovery arm is awfully nice since you'll never get caught out eyeing your drone supply and skimping on defense, but against the mothership you're past the point of caring about drone parts.

Of all the items on the list the pre-igniter + 2 Flak II's are the main bit. It's the double-barrel shotgun and BFG-9000 all rolled into one.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 pm

Obz3hL33t wrote:Of all the items on the list the pre-igniter + 2 Flak II's are the main bit. It's the double-barrel shotgun and BFG-9000 all rolled into one.

Yeah but like the BFG 9000, it doesn't kill everything in one shot and there's always that Baron or Hell Knight who didn't get the memo.
So best to have two Flak I's or BL II's (the equivalent of the Shotgun and Plasma Gun) to finish them off without wasting time preparing another shot with the big gun.

Then again, if you have two Weapon Reloaders and a skilled weapons operator, who knows how fast those Flak II's will recover? But then, how fast would the smaller guns be?
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:09 am

Without an igniter quad Flak-I's spray a pretty good argument. Except for availability I don't see why you'd mix F1's and BL2's -- one BL2 pushes your barrage timing to 12 anyway, so why not 4x BL2's?

The day I see a store with a shelf stocked full of BL2's or Flak guns ... bringing 4 of either of those to sector 8 should be an achievement, except no one would ever unlock it.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...