[MOD] Stations Job 1.21

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stargateprovider

Re: [MOD][WIP] Stations Job 0.g

Postby stargateprovider » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Update! I tried to improve balance in this one. A few stations have different equipment, the asteroid station is finished, but is still pretty hard to play with. Building systems is simpler now. You can get handbooks and blueprints from events. A blueprint can be used to build a single system. With a handbook you can build multiple.

Tell me what you think about the new stuff.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

0.g
- Created a basic in-game tutorial
- Reworked augments system
- Adjusted engine upgrade cost and made them unmannable on most stations
- Extended FTL charge time on certain enemy ships
- Finished Asteroid station
- Slightly improved balance
- Reduced file size
- Improved choices for empty beacons
- Added events
- Minor improvements and fixes
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Wattsy2

Postby Wattsy2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:33 am

Wow this mod looks great, really cool how it changes ftl so much. I'm trying it out and it's fun so far (good job on tutorial) have found a couple of bugs though. When you end up with a fourth augment even if you get rid of it the "swap augment" screen stays up and the only way to get rid of it is to restart ftl. Also most type c stations have this weird issue with room graphics where another copy of the room graphics is layered over the ship (might be other mod issues though I'm only running graphical mods). Apart from those couple of niggles good job keep developing this.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks a lot!

The room graphics issue might just occur because of another mod, although I can't think of a mod that could cause this. Haven't encountered this myself. The augment swap screen can't be fixed, because it's designed to stay visible until you jump to the next beacon if I recall correctly, but you can't jump in the mod so it stays until you restart.
Image Image
Wattsy2

Postby Wattsy2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:04 am

This is my current mod list, haven't got anything that affects floors doesn't happen without the station mod on

Also now that I've had a bit of time to play with it I have some actual gameplay feedback. First story mode doesn't give you enough time to level up and beat the flagship and isn't even really what this mod should be aiming it, I felt way like an actual station in infinite mode. I think you should focus more on infinite mode it made me feel like I was running a station (at least more than the story) but there were some niggles.

1. There isn't much trading, I thought this would be a major feature of the mod but theres almost none.
2. Blueprints and system parts feel kind of out of place, you can just buy the systems in the store so whats the point of buying a handbook,
Blueprint and parts when you can just use the store.
3. There isn't any way to become not new (stay with me here). Sometimes ships will ask you what dangerous places are in the sector and what type of minerals to mine there are but you can only pick "Sorry I'm new here". Maybe I'm missing something or you'll add that in later but yeah get on that.
4. You get to a certain point where battles are super easy (I ended up getting pre-ignitor and destroyed ships in a single volley) and there's not much point in playing, thats
why I've outlined the points above to create depth from tasks other than battles but if you also want to make battles more interesting you should maybe include a couple
of special Events that end up with you having to fight a really hard miniboss (sort of like the ghost ship one except that battle was still easy).
5. Again you get to a point in infinite mode (not even that far in like this happened after an hour) where you've figured out all the events and it gets boring. Again the stuff
above should help with that but I have a tip: make trading randomly generated instead of just a couple of hardcoded events, it will be way more interesting that way.
6. Just in general have more station stuff, At points I felt like I was just playing normal ftl except my ship had bad engines.

So there you go, some tips on where to go from here if you're not sure what to do.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Wattsy2 wrote:2. Blueprints and system parts feel kind of out of place, you can just buy the systems in the store so whats the point of buying a handbook, Blueprint and parts when you can just use the store.

My idea was to provide a cheaper alternative to the systems in the store.
Wattsy2 wrote:3. There isn't any way to become not new (stay with me here). Sometimes ships will ask you what dangerous places are in the sector and what type of minerals to mine there are but you can only pick "Sorry I'm new here". Maybe I'm missing something or you'll add that in later but yeah get on that.

There are special items, (mostly related to the map) that you can trade in those events.

I'll start working on improvements soon. Your tips were much appreciated!
Epsilon Carinae

Postby Epsilon Carinae » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Try disabling all mods and enabling one at a time.
My guess is that it will be sMPK and CrewD. Those two do not exactly work together when I use them.
I am an innocent ant in an unforgiving world.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 am

I love how the "distress beacon" has been changed to a flashing "OPEN" sign!
TheBoss

Postby TheBoss » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 pm

My problem is that every ship i fight runs away! Pls dont make them run away
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 pm

TheBoss wrote:My problem is that every ship i fight runs away! Pls dont make them run away

Can't be done.
The game does this to prevent stalemates where you can't defeat the enemy and they can't defeat you and you can't run away. Just gotta shoot them faster.
Ships take forever to run away when you have no fuel.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:11 am

stylesrj wrote:
TheBoss wrote:My problem is that every ship i fight runs away! Pls dont make them run away

Can't be done.
The game does this to prevent stalemates where you can't defeat the enemy and they can't defeat you and you can't run away. Just gotta shoot them faster.
Ships take forever to run away when you have no fuel.

Every ship has an escape timer, but you can increase the time it takes for them to escape, which is what I did for some ships. So some have the default escape timer - 80 seconds, some have 200, 500, and a few, including the final boss, up to 900.
Image Image