[SHIP] Airship Ready - Ship Idea/Development

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

[SHIP] Airship Ready - Ship Idea/Development

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Well... I saw this Red Alert 2/FTL mod, the Legionnaire:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27518

And I thought "Sure, the Allies are cool and all but what we need is the best unit ever from Red Alert 2 put into FTL.

You know what we're I'm talking about. A unit so awesome that the whole map has to know when one of them comes rolling out of the War Factory.

Not that one. The Floating Disc is gamebreakingly powerful but it's not awesome... not like:

And well here's my attempt at making it:

Yeah I'm terrible, but think about it... the Kirov is slow, tough and immune to fire (Helium mix optimal!) just like a Rockman. Why wouldn't the Soviets use a Rock Cruiser for the Kirov Starship?
Anyway, I need ideas on what it needs to be armed with? Regular and Ion Bombs that don't use any missiles (it's a Kirov! They never run out of bombs!) or should it have a Vulcan or something. I'm probably not going with custom sounds even though the signature bomb whistle would be good.

It'll definitely have 60HP and Rock Plating though. You ever tried shooting one down?

Seriously though, the Red Alert 2 Kirov is awesome and it needs to be in FTL!
Chrono Vortex

Re: [SHIP] Airship Ready - Ship Idea/Development

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks for adding the link to my ship! I think you should make a custom missile launcher that fires the Kirov bomb. If you want, I could extract the sound the Kirov makes when it drops a bomb and get it to you somehow.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:Thanks for adding the link to my ship! I think you should make a custom missile launcher that fires the Kirov bomb. If you want, I could extract the sound the Kirov makes when it drops a bomb and get it to you somehow.

That'll be awesome! I've had troubles adding custom sounds in the past. If you know the secret, that's great :)
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 am

In sounds.xml.append you type <[FILE NAME] volume="[SUITABLE VOLUME]">[FILE DESTINATION FROM AUDIO/WAVES]</[FILE NAME]>

Here's the sounds for the Kirov. I also took the liberty of extracting what I believe is the explosion animation for the Kirov bomb and I touched up your hull art a bit using my own if you're interested (sorry I didn't include the splice, it shouldn't be to hard to do again). By the way, I did finish the new Kirov-esque hull art for my Soviet ship and I'll be posting the full mod soon.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:25 am

In sounds.xml.append you type <[FILE NAME] volume="[SUITABLE VOLUME]">[FILE DESTINATION FROM AUDIO/WAVES]</[FILE NAME]>

That's the thing though. I've done custom sounds before. But somehow when trying to figure it out from my previous works, it doesn't work.

Then again, I did just change .mp3 to .ogg thinking it would work as intended. VLC certainly understood. But now I know that VLC knew it was originally an .mp3

Here's the sounds for the Kirov. I also took the liberty of extracting what I believe is the explosion animation for the Kirov bomb and I touched up your hull art a bit using my own if you're interested (sorry I didn't include the splice, it shouldn't be to hard to do again). By the way, I did finish the new Kirov-esque hull art for my Soviet ship and I'll be posting the full mod soon.

That sounds great. I tried to do the angry eyes and I thought I did a great job at one point, then I realised I made really tiny angry eyes, so I tried enlarging them. Very blurry and very messed up. So I realised I needed to enlarge them by scratch and well...
The teeth are just random and I couldn't rotate them as it would turn out very blurry. Pixels don't like diagonals very much.

Be sure to post your mod. In fact you could do a whole series of Red Alert 2 ships made into FTL.
Siege Cruiser, checking in!
Battle Cruiser on the alert!
Magnetron? The Ramming Cruiser idea has been done and TaxiService has a tugboat idea, so why not a ship with a Tractor Beam artillery? Maybe Yuri survived the dinosaur attack and went into the future. Be one with the Federation!
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:27 pm

stylesrj wrote:Then again, I did just change .mp3 to .ogg thinking it would work as intended. VLC certainly understood. But now I know that VLC knew it was originally an .mp3

Do you mean you just changed the extension and nothing else? I think it only works if you run it through a converter.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah I did that and that's why it didn't work. But now I know better and run sounds through a converter like VLC.
lordrockit

Postby lordrockit » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:41 am

if you give me the general idea of asthetic you want, i can just strait up make it for you, i have a ton of time on my hands that i could help you with this, also, i could probobly help with the ship image if you give me more images of the ship.
FTL lordrockit's weapon creator. Lordrockit- programer, 3d artist, gamer
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:54 am

Look up Kirov Airship on Google. You'll find plenty of images for it. It's basically just a big blimp with a shark face. But it's awesome.

I was also thinking that every time it arrived at a beacon after a jump, the entry sound would be "Kirov Reporting!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2UPb-yGG7s
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I was going to use this bomb launcher animation for my Soviet ship, but I figured I could just use the flak. Maybe you could get some use out of it.