FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Bonnie Lass

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 1:48 pm

Even with that 'silliness' aside, I think dummy weapons is preferable. You could have them take two power, have them be flak weapons that do the absolute minimum amount of damage, so it's like you're launching the cargo at the enemy's hull, haha.

Honestly I find it really hard to justify the amount the fleet catches up to you the way it currently works, you get less scrap than you would fighting, and while this is 'safe scrap', its hindered by the fact that it can potentially rob you of useful augments you find in the wild.
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Oh, I think I understand what you mean by leveled amounts of scrap for the goods, you want them to sell for more in different sectors, yea? I had forgotten about that little detail.

Then yeah, keeping the player cooperation thing is probably for the best. But I still think the dummy weapons are a better idea, I think having them as an augment is just too much of a hassle for the reason I said above (really punishes you if you find an augment in the wild, since you can't store them).
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Bonnie Lass wrote:Oh, I think I understand what you mean by leveled amounts of scrap for the goods, you want them to sell for more in different sectors, yea?

Nope, I mean that trade goods can not have different prices depending on difficulty. Prices will always be the same for all difficulty levels, but general scrap rewards are lower with higher difficulty, so trading becomes more profitable in comparison. You judge the trade profits by your experience on easy mode, but as mentioned, thats not what CE was designed for. Then again, trading on easy is the only thing where CE makes a difference.

Bonnie Lass wrote:Then yeah, keeping the player cooperation thing is probably for the best.

Player cooperation will always be required anyway, dummy weapons could not be removed in events either.

Bonnie Lass wrote:(really punishes you if you find an augment in the wild, since you can't store them).

Yeah, thats part of the idea. You are only punished if your aug space is entirely full though. Some ships can easily carry around one trade good in the early game. And in the end it's really up to you weather you decide to use the trade system or not.
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 2:11 pm

If not for the whole augment aspect, trading would be a very useful thing to do late game when ships have a much higher chance of doing some severe damage to you.

I really think dummy weapons is the way to go. 2 power flak weapons that have a 'cargo' icon, it'd work splendidly in my opinion. But it's your mod, so what you say goes.

It just seems incredibly niche in its current state, just very very situational, when I'd really like to see it play a larger role.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Not entirely sure, but isn't it so that weapons in your hold can't be used in blue events?
Would require a bit of a revamp to the entire trade system.
You'd have to give up the reward of getting the right good to the right place unless you have the "trade good" on your weapon bar. And seeing how in CE, stores can have a battle to accompany them... could cause some issues.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:And seeing how in CE, stores can have a battle to accompany them... could cause some issues.

But the Store interface always comes up first before the battle begins. You should swap your cargo out for weapons before beginning a battle and if you don't, because you were in a rush to get fighting, it's sort of your own fault for not preparing for battle...
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Oh, if blue events can't see what's in your cargo hold then nevermind. That's a sucky limitation.

Is there no way for the game's scripting to store variables long-term? Like, maybe giving you a 'quest' after you buy a trade good that doesn't have a destination? Or do quests get cleared when you travel to a new sector?
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:43 pm

stylesrj wrote:But the Store interface always comes up first before the battle begins. You should swap your cargo out for weapons before beginning a battle and if you don't, because you were in a rush to get fighting, it's sort of your own fault for not preparing for battle...

True enough. There's enough events out there that punish the rushers. Well, two that I can think of.
Using drones instead could help, though it would mean you'd be able to immediately activate them. And if you want to use them in blue options, you'd need a drone control system. A choice many of us aren't ready to make.

So, it looks like we're back to where we started as in that as long as we are using blue options, which is something that needs to happen if we want to keep the higher rewards and the penalty of sometimes having the fleet advance, we're sort of stuck with using dummy augments for trading.

All this talk about trade goods actually made me wonder about a random thing :
Can you use the Oxygen supply trade augment to help the ship that is running out of air ?
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Using drones instead could help, though it would mean you'd be able to immediately activate them. And if you want to use them in blue options, you'd need a drone control system. A choice many of us aren't ready to make.

Yeah, I don't want to be forced to use Drone Control if I want to trade. Although then again, I hardly-ever use Drone Control, so having being used as a Trade Bay would make it useful throughout an Infinite run.

Biohazard063 wrote:
All this talk about trade goods actually made me wonder about a random thing :
Can you use the Oxygen supply trade augment to help the ship that is running out of air ?

Yes. I've done it a few times.
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Okay so apparently quests CAN be cross-sector, so why not just make it so trade-goods give you a quest that stores can check for?