FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Nevill

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby Nevill » Sat May 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I don't know man, in sector lvl 6 you'll get about 40 scrap per fight, that should amount to more than 200 scrap per sector.

I meant that you get roughly a (sector number+1)*100 scrap per sector, combined with the money you make from selling the loot. It probably is too generous an estimate, though.

Sleeper Service wrote: But the issue is a little more profound I guess. The thing is that FTL ultimately isn't built for endless play. The infinite workaround and FTLs structure we have at hand might always a) allows the player to get too powerful too quickly or b) draws out the game too long.

I chose Infinite exactly for its 'infinite but limited' structure. You can play infinitely, but with diminishing returns you have to progress further and further to be able to afford the upgrades. That is what keeps the game challenging. I have moved in sector 6 with just 2 shields because the returns from sector 5 were too slow to advance them to 3rd tier. The going was rough, but additional money allowed me a few essential upgrades. That's where the fun was.

But the funds I got at sector 7 were insufficient to make my ship what I would consider 'Flagship ready'. That's why I think the endgame progression is screwed up.

Sleeper Service wrote:It really just depending on your own individual preference where the sweet spot between those two extremes is, I probably can't make everyone happy here. I actually never claimed that Infinite play is a great idea, I literally made this on a lazy sunday afternoon cause people kept requesting it. Some people seem to find it fun, so I won't argue... :D

Yeah, it is probably individual. I never claimed that my definition of fun should fit all. It would be interesting to see the feedback from others on the matter.

Me, I just chose CE Infinite to see what CE has in store without the usual hurry. I could sit back and play suboptimally just to see more of the game.

I still haven't seen the half of it. For example, not once in 10 hours have I seen hazards other than vabilla ones. Actually, that is a bit strange now that I think about it. Was I just unlucky or is something broken? In regular CE games I see them all the time.

Sleeper Service wrote:You pointed out that you hit a dead point equipment wise already and that this made the run less fun, so I'm not convinced if hitting this point upgrade wise as well would actually have been more fun.

That's the point where I'd have liked to proceed to the Flagship and win.

But perhaps I should have risked it and tried to take on the Flagship with 6 lvl shields, 5 lvl engines, 7 lvl weapons and no cloak. I just didn't feel very confident about it, since there still were rebel cruisers around that gave me a hard time with my load-out.

Sleeper Service wrote:Or maybe the other Infinite mods are more fun for you.

I am quite fond of CE features, actually, so I naturally prefer not to part with them. :)

Eh, anyway, it should be easy to modify by myself if I needed to, I just wanted to share my take on it.
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 03, 2015 4:14 am

Is it alright to advertise my Faster Than Police Mod video here if I used Captain's Edition for the run?

http://youtu.be/HeOG6c-CF38

Seriously, I forgot how brutal CE is after a long absence from it. Can I still say that Mine Drones suck and need to go frak off and die?
And the same can be said for those bloody Pernach Focus Beams in Sector 1.

Everything else is fine. It's just that those two things really do ruin an early run... or a late run.
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 pm

CE Update 1.275
- Lattice Lockdown Blast and Standard Heavy Burst Laser artillery now have a 30 seconds base cooldown
- Internal Teleporter now gives you slightly more time to move your borders out of the way
- Custom CE weapon tips work now?
- Some small fixes
- Some spelling errors fixed

CE Endless Loot 1.275 for standard CE and CE Endless Loot 1.275 for CE Infinite
- A few prefixes rebalanced
- Some more general Prefixes added
- Some more beam Prefixes added
- More weapons have Legendary variants now
- Internal drone rarity dummy-prefixes no longer generate dysfunctional ion intruders

Thanks to the couple people who are supporting me on Image, you are awesome!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:CE Update 1.275
- Lattice Lockdown Blast and Standard Heavy Burst Laser artillery now have a 30 seconds base cooldown
- Internal Teleporter now gives you slightly more time to move your borders out of the way
- Custom CE weapon tips work now?
- Some small fixes
- Some spelling errors fixed!

Internal Teleporter? Is that an augment or an event?
Or is it a bomb and if so... what does it do and where can I get one?
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Hey there! I traditionally play the game on Easy, since I honestly dont' play regularly enough to fully master the game. I've loved all the new additions, but I have noticed that it's even harder than the game's normal Normal mode.

I could still play on Easy but as I understand, that messes with the event balance. So I was thinking, maybe you could add some 'Easy mode' prompts at the start of each new sector that might do helpful things like give me more scrap or offer me up some free repairs?

Thanks for the great mod!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Playing on easy works just as good in CE as it works with the vanilla game. The "Designed to be played on normal difficulty" hint below the download mostly means that the mod wasn't designed with hard mode in mind (cause hard mode didn't exist when most of the mod was made).
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Well, it's mostly about the trading system to me, it's completely pointless in Easy unless you have the cargo transporter.

Although I am curious on something regarding the trading system, have you thought about using dummy weapons instead of dummy augments?

Augment slots are really precious and all too often if I want to do any sort of trading I might have to leave a random encounter augment behind, which really sucks.
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Tue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Also, I am curious - why not just rebalance the trading system so that you have to sell the augment no matter what instead of relying on player cooperation? My first run on captain's edition I actually didn't know about the necessary player cooperation and I was a bit confused.

The fleet pursuit would only get doubled once instead of twice but you could balance it out by perhaps providing lower returns on trading.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Yep I have, about two years ago, when I first made it. Thats overall less elegant cause the player can do a lot of silly things with dummy weapons, like equipping and firing them. That trade goods take away aug space is part of the balance. Trading indeed becomes more useful the higher the difficulty. Unfortunately I cant have the goods cost leveled amount of scrap. The trading system is probably the part of the mod that is hindered the most by modding limitations, or rather extends the most towards them I guess...

Bonnie Lass wrote:why not just rebalance the trading system so that you have to sell the augment no matter what instead of relying on player cooperation?

FTL modding simply has limits. Removing an aug via an event is impossible for example.