Favorite way to win a battle?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
stylesrj

Re: Favorite way to win a battle?

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:I didn't know the hack would work if a system gets destroyed.

I didn't either. But you have to time it carefully.
Because if the system is destroyed before you hack it, you'll have to wait for one of the foolish meatsacks to go out and repair it.
Which can also work to your advantage as you can start draining the air immediately, then drop another bomb in the room to damage them further.

Now that's one of my favourite ways to win a battle. That and using a firebomb or beam on the hacked oxygen for the extra cruelty.
Somdudewillson

Postby Somdudewillson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Twin vulcans and three weapon reloaders.
`Nuff said.
zaphod_

Postby zaphod_ » Fri May 01, 2015 7:17 pm

I would say crew steal. I love mind controlling enemies, and, right before the control runs out, teleporting them immediatly onto my ship for quick dispatchment :twisted:
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Okay, I have to say, weapons have done me the most good overall, but I love drones.
Drones just require you to sit back and watch them, But weapons end up being the most powerful- With 1 exception. Get to that in a moment.
Boarding is yucky for me, yet necessary to beat the game (How I know it, never actually beaten FTL, Still a casual player).
You basically need to board to go anywhere when beating the flagship. Otherwise, the weapons kill you before any serious, game-winning damage can be done.
My favorite is drones, but weapons are best for me when in a progression perspective.
vdweller

Postby vdweller » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:03 pm

I think that de-ogygenating the enemy ship takes the cake for me. It's horrible though. Asphyxiating humans/aliens... But wait...aren't explosions a more horrible way to die? Hmmm...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:09 pm

vdweller wrote:I think that de-ogygenating the enemy ship takes the cake for me. It's horrible though. Asphyxiating humans/aliens... But wait...aren't explosions a more horrible way to die? Hmmm...

In the explosion, it could be assumed their death is quick. A lot of pain and then gone.
But dying by slow suffocation as your life support goes out, and your ship starts to fill up with CO2 and stellar radiation (that's how I think Life support works anyway. They drain oxygen pretty damned fast for a spaceship, so maybe it does more than recycle and generate air) as you cling for life... that's if there isn't a hull breach that's taken all the air out giving you nothing to breathe.

Then again, they might survive the explosion only to suffocate in space...
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 am

Rock men standing guard in a burning medbay while mantis search-and-destroy teams seek out stragglers sheltering in the unburned rooms.

"Rock men are guarding the medbay. We can't put out the fires! Could this day get any worse?"
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Going up on the flagship with so many missiles the GUI breaks a bit and a decent arsenal of breach bombs + a basic laser.

I can just imagine the crew on the flagship going, "Sir, that ship has a lot of teleporting bombs... we should be OH MY GOSH THEY ARE ALL BREACH BOMBS AND HALF OF THE IMPORTANT ROOMS ARE BREACHED... Oh... look... a basic laser... that won't hurt..." *looks at hull indicator* "On second thought..." *flagship explodes*

Yeah... I had one run where I killed the flagship with at least one breach in every room. That was fun.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
Peaoui

Postby Peaoui » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 pm

How about mixing this up a bit. What your most interesting way to kill a lanius ship? I like to go with ion and anti bio beams as they rarely have med bays.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 pm

Peaoui wrote:How about mixing this up a bit. What your most interesting way to kill a lanius ship? I like to go with ion and anti bio beams as they rarely have med bays.

Yeah, they just have a Clone Bay.