[MOD] Stations Job 1.21

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Fergulous

Re: [MOD][WIP] Stations Job (Download available!)

Postby Fergulous » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:11 am

I really like this mod! It reminds me of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Perhaps you could make the type C for the Federation Station be a civilian station with weak arms but have better shields or something? Also, perhaps you could add more events that involve civilian cruisers stopping by?
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Fri May 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!
They have been considered and adjustments have been done.
Current problems that require help involve the engine icon, indicating the fleet's distance and the stalemate situation.

Those are a few possible new engine icons, problem is that enemy ships will use the engine icon as well as stations, so the new icon should be appliable both to stations and ships. So I ask you, which icon would best represent the engine system:
ImageImageImage
Or should I just make something more like the original engine icon or keep the original?

Second problem is the STALEMATE_SURRENDER event which occurs too early, for example when you try to suffocate the little slug ship. I think that should occur after a longer time period, but I don't want to remove the event, because then you can get stuck in endless battles.

And I would love to constantly see the Rebel fleet's distance from the sector, but I don't know how to do that if the fleet isn't on the map yet. If that's even possible..
Last thing: If you happen to have an idea concerning the "FTL" text on the title screen (to what Sleeper Service reffered to), then post it.
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Fri May 01, 2015 2:26 pm

stargateprovider wrote:Or should I just make something more like the original engine icon or keep the original?

Maybe stick with something close to the original engine icon.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri May 01, 2015 2:35 pm

stargateprovider wrote:And I would love to constantly see the Rebel fleet's distance from the sector, but I don't know how to do that if the fleet isn't on the map yet. If that's even possible.

The fleet pursuit graphic can be made larger to extend very far and additional rings can be added to indicate more fleet jumps. I recommend you take a look at this mod, especially the "x24 with numbers" variant. You can use its pursuit image as a starting point if you want. That indicator warns you 24 jumps before the fleet enters the screen, but you might be able to extend it further to warn the player even earlier.

stargateprovider wrote:Those are a few possible new engine icons, problem is that enemy ships will use the engine icon as well as stations, so the new icon should be appliable both to stations and ships.

Right, I didn't think of that. Taking this into account I'd vote for keeping the original icon and just changing the tooltips. Just my opinion of course.

stargateprovider wrote:Second problem is the STALEMATE_SURRENDER event which occurs too early, for example when you try to suffocate the little slug ship. I think that should occur after a longer time period, but I don't want to remove the event, because then you can get stuck in endless battles.

Yeah, that one triggers automatically, right? There might be no way at all to change its timer then.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Yeah, that one triggers automatically, right? There might be no way at all to change its timer then.

Is there any way for that event to not turn the hostile ship neutral?

If so, does it reset the surrender timer or permanently disable it from then on? If the former, it doubles the time needed to suffocate the little Slug ships. If the latter... well, you could be stuck in an endless battle.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Fri May 01, 2015 7:22 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:Yeah, that one triggers automatically, right? There might be no way at all to change its timer then.

Is there any way for that event to not turn the hostile ship neutral?

If so, does it reset the surrender timer or permanently disable it from then on? If the former, it doubles the time needed to suffocate the little Slug ships. If the latter... well, you could be stuck in an endless battle.

I'm not sure about this stuff, but I'm going to disable the stalemate event for now. If it causes problems for someone, I can always re-enable it.

The other thing now. I already tried the extended fleet indicator, but it starts working only when the fleet is really close, but before that it doesn't appear at all so doesn't really help in this mod.
Btw, does 45 jumps give enough time to prepare for the fleet?
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri May 01, 2015 8:57 pm

How about modifying the stalemate event to allow the player to decide whether he wants to keep fighting or not?
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Btw, does 45 jumps give enough time to prepare for the fleet?

The thing about FTL is that as you jump further and further in, the fights get harder and harder and you get bigger rewards.

Stations Job... the fights get harder and harder but the rewards are still all the same. I'm getting 8 Scrap for holding off a 3-shielded Mantis Bomber with a massive swarm of Mantis warriors, a Hermes Missile and several bombs. 45 jumps would be ample if the rewards kept escalating. But that cannot be done with the current system in place.

I've got an idea - how about sometimes you're given a unit of fuel. You can use it to jump to a new beacon and get a change of scenery (and a new store if you choose)

The problem is that you'll eventually reach the Last Stand and that the game becomes an ironically slower version of Faster Than Light, except it's not a Kestrel that faces the Flagship but a starship with low evasion.
Zorin419

Postby Zorin419 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:14 am

stargateprovider wrote:Does 45 jumps give enough time to prepare for the fleet?

That would require some testing. I'd say, like, maybe 65-80 jumps? But, could you make a version of the mod with no rebels? At least for me, I would LOVE an FTL shop-owning simulator-esq. type of mod.

One more thing, How does the crafting work??
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat May 02, 2015 5:12 am

Zorin419 wrote:
One more thing, How does the crafting work??

You have the "system parts" augment, then another augment of let's say, Cloaking Parts. You wait for some idle time to show up (don't use your beacon) and I think it should be a blue option. It shouldn't cost you any scrap to do and the parts won't be used up because you can't get rid of augments via events, unless it's the Stasis Pod.

That's all I know. I have no idea how the Asteroid Extractor works (the one that doesn't give you extra scrap per collection). I thought it would be a blue event for idle periods but nope...