Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby NarnKar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:44 am

And now for something completely different.

I'm trying to make a gun that looks like a dragon. So....does this look like a dragon? I'm mostly worried about the eye shape--the color will eventually be filled in by a charge glow.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 am

To me it looked like a generic beast, and after a while like a jackal from the halo series. ·_·

Have you tried looking at references? Analyse other dragon heads and try to understand what characterises them. After you give yourself a good idea of what really makes something look like a dragon, then try draw it! Make sketches and then try to condense the drawing into the pixel grid.

Or, well, that's what I would do. ·‿· This kind of process usually helped me.
ImageImageImageImageImage
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Enemy shields? The position in the txt file doesn't appear to work the same as player ships, and I can't figure it out.

I'm making a player ship from an enemy ship, so I can use a screenshot to position my shield, but it would still be nice to know what the game is doing.

Due to Superluminal, this question would most likely be answered by kartoFlane, if I get an answer.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Enemy ships' shield is positioned pretty much the same way it is for player ships, except the shield graphic appears to be offset by around 110 px on Y axis. At least that's what the editor does in order to get enemy shields to load correctly, and it works *shrug*
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 am

quick question.

Is the tag <missiles>1</missiles> the one that makes a weapon consume ammo and if so. Is it meant to work for a modded weapon that is a beam?

Because I made a weapon like that (the description taken from in game values even says "requires missile" and I got the missile icon on the weapon in the in game UI and it doesn't consume any when fired.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Yes, the <missile> tag does specify the amount of missiles the weapon consumes. IIRC it only works with bomb, missile and laser type weapons.
There was a spreadsheet posted around here several months ago -- it had all of the tags listed and documented how they interact with each other, maybe someone still has the link...?
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 am

NarnKar wrote:Why does the Rebel Flagship have a sensors room? What does it even need with Sensors?

Well it's the rebel flagship, the quote and quote most power fullest ship in the galaxy. It has to know where the hell to shoot doesn't it? :)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:22 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:
NarnKar wrote:Why does the Rebel Flagship have a sensors room? What does it even need with Sensors?

Well it's the rebel flagship, the quote and quote most power fullest ship in the galaxy. It has to know where the hell to shoot doesn't it? :)

You can't even aim artillery, sensors or no sensors!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:09 am

NarnKar wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:

You can't even aim artillery, sensors or no sensors!

Yes... but the artillery for players is aimmed by ai... which the enemy in game is run by.
He uses those weapons the same way any other enemy does... more then just that.

Also from what we know the artillery may be aimed by the sensor room... every player ship has a sensor if they have artillery
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:31 am

This Beam-ship from CE seems to be doing just fine without sensors for its artillery. Plus, CE's purchaseable artillery applies to all ships, including those that start without sensors.

So I ask again: why does the Rebel Flagship have a sensors room? It's not for aiming artillery.