FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.24/Inf 1.24/EL 1.24

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 pm

condonzack wrote:Still having issues with crashes and graphical glitches.

Uhm could you specify that a little? Like what sector and what kind of graphical issues...
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Found a Rebel Pusher with the left weapon mount attached to the wrong gib.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:18 pm

I was playing a bit of Starcraft II and then it occurred to me: Train Robbery! (Firefly had little to do it with though. But it did come to mind as well)

Russian Rockman mentioned it earlier about scenarios where you could land on a planet.
One possible scenario to consider (apart from a complicated series of events leading to boarders on the ship) is that the background are a series of magnetic tracks your ship is flying over while chasing down a train carrying supplies. Why you can't bomb it from orbit is because it's a pretty big train/you want to get under the ASBs/more likely to recover the supplies.

The FTL jump in that case is the train activating emergency boosters and escaping into a tunnel or getting to its destination where the Rebels/Pirates/Rude Dudes/Robots are waiting. So don't leave your crew onboard when it does that.

This could also lead to another thing you could do at an empty beacon/out of fuel: Piracy! You find a nearby planet, use your license/ship augment and go raid some "helpless" colonies for supplies. Robbing a train could be one of the outcomes. It needs life support because it's a really fast train/life support are technically inertial dampeners/robot train!

-------------------

Also in other news, I like those flavour events where you may randomly lose power or a fire starts somewhere on the ship as you fight the enemy. I also find it a problem - in those events where you randomly lose power, it could potentially crash the game if you're flying a ship with above maximum reactor power.

I know it's not really much of a problem if you're not cheating and someone can easily mod that event out if they are cheating but I'm just complaining about it before others do as well.

But seriously, I like how those events add that extra flavour to a battle. "Your father would be proud" indeed.
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 am

stylesrj wrote:One possible scenario to consider (apart from a complicated series of events leading to boarders on the ship) is that the background are a series of magnetic tracks your ship is flying over while chasing down a train carrying supplies. Why you can't bomb it from orbit is because it's a pretty big train/you want to get under the ASBs/more likely to recover the supplies.

I... don't know. On the one hand, it sounds interesting. On the other, I'm not sure if it fits lore well, speeding our *cruiser* along big train's track... Would be more fitting for a fighter or gunboat, I think. Also, for some reason, my mind thinks that scavenging this series of *tracks* itself would gain more scrap than this mere train. Considering the things we're already scavenging in FTL...

On the third ( ;) ) hand, scavenging tracks reminds me too much of still-common real-life traction stealing, that still happens around here IRL, from time to time, causing havoc to passenger communication. It also, somehow, brings the question of "why we can't scavenge everything else on the planet" and I suddenly stop thinking "FTL" and start thinking "[url]grey goo[/url]" simulator... Consume the univeeeeerse! (esp. in Lanius ship ;) ).

/Estel
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:02 am

You can't scavenge the tracks because the authorities will shoot at you as you hover over the area and dismantle them :P

Or maybe you're trying to scavenge them and a train pops up to shoot at you. So you take out the train, then you salvage it and the tracks unopposed.

The "Cruisers" seem to be more like "Frigates" when I view them to be honest. :D
And they'd have to be light frigates/heavy corvettes at best.
Too much Homeworld unfortunately skews my view.
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

stylesrj wrote:Too much Homeworld unfortunately skews my view.

[off-topic]Haha, same reasons, same feelings - for me, almost every ship was corvette sized, scaled vs it's single crewmen size and number of staff. Biggest things, like rebel cruisers and battleships scored as small frigates.

But, I've learned to accept that in FTL's word, ships are just much smaller (not unlike real world sea ship, where cruisers indeed aren't so breathtaking big, after all) - and due to automation, internal AI, etc, they need bunch of people to operate and maintain, instead of hundred(s).

Still, for my "private" lore, Stealth is still Corvette, Kestrel's are corvette-sized just because they're old standard (presumably, in times of their service, most cruisers were similarly sized), Engi and Laniuses deny classification (due to being model of efficiency, and completely alien, respectively), Zoltan's just produce small cruisers (yet shielded as hell), and only the rest ships match FTL's standard cruiser size. [/off-topic]

/Estel
Nider_01

Postby Nider_01 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Another bugged lanius ship:
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Haven't updated to the latest CE yet, so this may or may not apply, but I'm on an Infinite run right now and just did two jumps one after another (had been saving up on fuel and went straight from sector 1 to sector 3). Upon jumping from sector 2 to sector 3 (can't remember what 2 was, but 3 is Malis IV (Evacuation I.P.)) I got hit with the Hyperspace event, and upon choosing not to use extra fuel (because I just used like, 20, I had 8 left!) I didn't get my 5 free jumps and the fleet got it's double jump.

Also a quick question, can I upgrade CE in the middle of my Infinite run without any issues?
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:43 pm

FortunaDraken wrote:Also a quick question, can I upgrade CE in the middle of my Infinite run without any issues?

Yes, of course. Until you hit some yet unknown issues afterwards - in such case, don't forget to tell us ;)

Seriously though, if in doubt, you can always keep old version of everything CE, and your profile/save files - in case of problems, just revert. There is no other way of checking it for 100%, so asking here is quite pointless - we don't know what glitches save system may have (see problem with saves after purchasing artillery). It's all just based on testing done by users, we don't have insight into FTL engine's source code.

OTOH, in case of issues known/expected, Sleepy post them in the changelog.

/Estel
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:02 pm

CE Infinite 1.241a
- Fixed a problem causing start beacons of auto sectors not delaying the fleet and calling hyperspace events instead

FortunaDraken wrote:Also a quick question, can I upgrade CE in the middle of my Infinite run without any issues?

This usually won't cause any problems, but I can't guarantee it. In your case the upgrade even caused the new sector types to spawn in your old run, so it seems to work fine.