Replacers for many of the things...

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
scooterbaga

Re: Replacers for many of the things...

Postby scooterbaga » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Estel wrote:If you're above 20 hull, everything looks normal. Below 20 hull, everything gets yellow'ish (yellow alert, I presume), and below 10 hull, everything gets red-tinted (either red alert, or blood of boarders from your ship's walls).

Now it all makes sense... Thank you. It also probably explains why I became fed up with the already yellowish hubble images...

Estel wrote:I'm not sure if lightning strike in space should be so literal - after all, it's ion barrier, so the one already in CE seems to fit, and are looking great, too.

Ya, I'm still not 100% sold on the two just lightning ones. Perhaps with something non-crappy to overlay inside of lightning strikes? Time for me to take a step back though and let those ideas simmer for a time...

Estel wrote:...zoltan's propelled to higher speed spectrum...

Now that's brilliant... Using the different races as a form of artillery... Perhaps something that taps into the Clone Bay. I can see it now, each race would have its own characteristics/impact effect. Some obvious, not sure about Human, Mantis or Slug. Perhaps Human is like a flak cannon that only effects shields?

You're really on to something there...
META_mahn

Postby META_mahn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 pm

just subscribing to dem patches
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:17 am

scooterbaga wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:ALSO, how DID you recreate the warnings with the mixture of red and black that they were changed to in AE.

Of the time spent on the the CE backgronds, I'd say about half was spent on the icons. I pulled what I could from the vanilla versions, and the center icon from CE. The rest is a fiddlly, multi-layered fuster cluck to fill in the center. Thanks for noticing.

Yeah, I tried to recreate that and it was quite difficult. I just gave up because it's nearly impossible to make the icons look exactly like vanilla. Good work!

scooterbaga wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Any other plans for stuff and things in the future?

in general, I consider plans to be a thing that gets in the way of what one wants to do at the time... However, I've been eying the static backgrounds of the CE hazards. Namely the ones that have animated counter parts. Since "cousins" of those exist in an animated form... I have my suspicions that animated CE hazards shouldn't be that far off...

It is probably possible through some sort of trickery to "mimic" an animated hazard. For example, you could make dummy weapons with custom impact images and sounds. Just a few thoughts... You could have a bolt of lightning hit a ship system, or a very large impact image that temporarily whites out the screen like the pulsar hazard. This involves a lot of work though... You would have to create custom ship lists and types for each animated hazard event, and give each of those ships the dummy weapons. This could also lead to other problems I haven't thought of as well. BUT, technically it is possible. :)
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:22 am

scooterbaga wrote:Now that's brilliant... Using the different races as a form of artillery... Perhaps something that taps into the Clone Bay. I can see it now, each race would have its own characteristics/impact effect. Some obvious, not sure about Human, Mantis or Slug. Perhaps Human is like a flak cannon that only effects shields?

You're really on to something there...

Hehe, there is already a mod that replaces every laser and rocket projectile image with one representing a race. Although, it's just cosmetic change, not affecting how mechanic works ;) It's called "overpopulation" or something like that.

Anyway, looking forward to what you come up with, re ion barriers and friends!

/Estel
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:58 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Thanks for looking into that. I guess that is good enough for the most part, I'll wait for the reply for anomaly 4 before integrating that one.

The original artist esk6a has given the okay as long as they are given credit.

Also, if anyone would like .psd files of anything I've put together, just ask. I'm a pack rat, so I imagine I'll keep most of it.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am

scooterbaga wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:Thanks for looking into that. I guess that is good enough for the most part, I'll wait for the reply for anomaly 4 before integrating that one.

The original artist esk6a has given the okay as long as they are given credit.

Also, if anyone would like .psd files of anything I've put together, just ask. I'm a pack rat, so I imagine I'll keep most of it.

Thanks scoots! ;) Could I have the files for the warning icons you made? Pretty please. :mrgreen: Like I said, they are very hard to get right and you did an amazing job. I would like to try and make some of my own hazard backgrounds.

EDIT: Here is something I would like to share in the meantime. 8-) Some higher-res images for the Beacon Map. For AE the devs took the smaller ones and simply expanded them, making them very low-res, sooo here you go! I hope you like them. Feel free to use them in any way you wish.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50cr2wyczqcxx ... lacers.zip
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Thanks scoots! ;) Could I have the files for the warning icons you made? Pretty please. :mrgreen: Like I said, they are very hard to get right and you did an amazing job. I would like to try and make some of my own hazard backgrounds.

I dropped the three icons into one photoshop document. They seem a little more rough on their own than I remember. Guessing the background helps hide it.

I probably have layered versions of each icon as I was building them, if there's any interest. These are the merged versions:

ce warnings.psd
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I have to agree with Estel regarding the literal lightning/ion barrier contrast. I mean, it'd be allright if it were at least three independant, intricate lightnings. But if it's only one, a sort of ion barrier/aurora works better.

I also rather liked CE's default 2D Anomaly background. It looks very anomalous, and in a good way (unlike the other default one, that one you can replace all you want, thank you very much). Specially how it's made very apparent that it interfiers magnetically, and overall the 2D background fits nicely within FTL anyway.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:12 pm

I actually integrated parts of this into main CE. So the mod itself now features the original first anomaly background as well as the two new variants that scooterbaga created. I liked variant one too much to override it. ;)
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:45 pm

IndustrialRobot wrote:Perhaps you could make a package of everything for others? If not, it isn't really a big deal, just lots of clicking :D

There's been one at the end of the post since day one.