FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Jopyth

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.217/Inf 1.217/EL 1.217

Postby Jopyth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:56 am

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I found a few texts that are wrong:

It affects events_nebula.xml in the events:
TE_STORE_CLEARING_LIST_BOOSTED
TE_STORE_INDUSTRIAL_LIST_BOOSTED

And in events_rebel.xml:
TE_STORE_REBEL_LIST_BOOSTED

The text says: "You consider dealing with the trader. This might take some time.", but it should say something like "You consider dealing with the trader. Your equipment will allow you to exchange goods quickly."

I will be replacing all these texts in my own mod where stores can have cargo teleporters, that is why I found the a few originals ones which are wrong.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 am

Estel wrote:I treat Zoltan things as outposts, not "proper" stations. No problem with rock stations, as they're supposed to be super-dense. Hoever, I have huge problem with Mantis Minelayer, which is as big as flagship and bigger than rebel cruiser. Not to mention being bigger than Mantis stations. It seems out of place, to the point of breaking immersion.

I think the Zoltan and Rock stations should be about as big as the human stations at least.

I don't have a problem with big ships like the Rock Brawler and Mantis Minelayer. It is not unheard of in sci-fi to have certain ships that are too big to even dock at a station. The Rock Brawler seems like that sort of ship. I just think the Mantis "Minelayer" would make a better troop ship than a "Minelayer". I can see the Mantis having humongous invasion ships. ;) If that were the case then it's fine for it to be bigger than the Mantis station, which is a pretty decent size.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 am

I also doesn't have problems with rock brawler - the immersion-breaking with Mantis Minelayer is about the fact, that it is - usually - a very weak ship. I agree that switching roles between minelayer and troopship would work, for Mantis.

But still, if you compare Mantis Brood Station (which is and should be big) with a Minelayer, even re-purposed as broodship, the latter is still absurdly huge. It looks more mean than flagship, actually. I can imagine him being used in some super-rare Mantis Flagship quest, or even turned to some badass Mantis station (in Mantis Homeworld, perhaps?). It just doesn't feel right to bump on it inside every other minefield. Like Mantises doesn't have better things to do than building Freespace's GTVA Colossus for every three Mantis Crew-members (that are usually on it's board... Four, in very rare cases).

/Estel
SpaceDux

Postby SpaceDux » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Great MOD Package! Some Problems I'd like to see fixed: (See my mods below) (I play exclusively on Hard)

It seems the Captains edition and/or the Endless Loot Mod has removed advanced edition content, I want !!SEE!! all advance edition content +PLUS+ CE and EL on top of it. For example.

- Where are the System stun boarding bots, haven't seen one since adding CE/EL, add them back
- I want to see the advanced sectors +PLUS+ the CE sectors, Where are the homeworlds? if they are there, show them with their original names, +PLUS+ have all your cool new sectors with there names as well
-I don't know if its EL or CE but the scatter lasers seem to come up too much on enemies, again I want CE/EL to feel like it adds to advanced not overrides it
-Some Ship Challenges can't be completed in CE, example: Slug Anti-Bio Beem kills
-Some ships on hard from the start are ineffective, ex: the Mantis A can't kill automated ships, it needs a basic hull damage weapon at the start.

Other Suggestions
-The trade system shouldn't cost a jump, it already wastes a jump going to the store, and it is suppose to be a reward for effort, luck, and strategy, if you must have trading to cost a jump why not make it when you buy trade goods, that way if you collect them for free its pure benefit selling them. The cost of "trading" is that you have to go/get to a store, you have to invest funds, and you have to risk filling your augments and having to throw something away. With the cost of the JUMP, losing scrap, and Augment spot, I never buy trade goods, I play on hard. Or just increase the value of all trade goods, so these inconveniences are worth it.

-The Trade goods, shouldn't be in AUGMENT spot, they should be in the CARGO hold, the augments section is always full of augments where as the cargo hold rarely fills, I never trade because of the risk of filling augments and having to toss something. If you must keep them in the Augments section, give them an Augment, Solar Panels=One extra power bar, Space Food=10 additional health to crew, etc... maybe some trade goods don't have bonuses, but the expensive ones do.

-The rock ship should start with incendiary rocket weapons again, it fit well, and it needs it on hard

Thanks,
SpaceDux

What I am running:
BPaB
CE Additional Music
BPaB Compatibility
CE Endless Loot for Standard
EL Texture Pack
Expanded Window
FTL Captains 1.217
fugu

Postby fugu » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:14 pm

SpaceDux wrote:- I want to see the advanced sectors +PLUS+ the CE sectors, Where are the homeworlds? if they are there, show them with their original names, +PLUS+ have all your cool new sectors with there names as well

AE only added one new sector, for the Lanius. I can confirm that they are still there. Homeworlds are still there. It really isn't too hard to pick up the new naming scheme. Borders / zones are usually zoltans, medical emergencies are clearly denoted, etc. I don't think there's too much of an issue with the CE naming scheme.

SpaceDux wrote:-I don't know if its EL or CE but the scatter lasers seem to come up too much on enemies, again I want CE/EL to feel like it adds to advanced not overrides it

Perhaps you're just having too much bad luck. While enemies wielding dual scatter lasers do tend to come up, it's not like they appear at abnormal frequencies. They're not too difficult to deal with, anyway.

SpaceDux wrote:-Some Ship Challenges can't be completed in CE, example: Slug Anti-Bio Beem kills

While this is true, you can still buy bio beams from stores. If you really want the achievement, just run FTL without CE to get it.

SpaceDux wrote:-Some ships on hard from the start are ineffective, ex: the Mantis A can't kill automated ships, it needs a basic hull damage weapon at the start.

This is true for other ships in FTL. Mantis B, for instance, has no effective method of dealing with rebel scouts. If it's already in the game vanilla, why is it such an issue for CE? Sleeper_service has stated previously that CE isn't a balance mod.

SpaceDux wrote:-The trade system shouldn't cost a jump, it already wastes a jump going to the store, and it is suppose to be a reward for effort, luck, and strategy, if you must have trading to cost a jump why not make it when you buy trade goods, that way if you collect them for free its pure benefit selling them. The cost of "trading" is that you have to go/get to a store, you have to invest funds, and you have to risk filling your augments and having to throw something away. With the cost of the JUMP, losing scrap, and Augment spot, I never buy trade goods, I play on hard. Or just increase the value of all trade goods, so these inconveniences are worth it.

There's always been a sort of evaluatory system with augments. You have to deal with the limited slots in regular FTL as it is already. This isn't really a serious issue.
Jumping to a store is something that you're probably doing already.
There's also the issue of being able to sell trade goods without actually selling them in the store. Advancing the rebel fleet takes away some incentive of exploiting the trade system.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Jopyth wrote:The text says: "You consider dealing with the trader. This might take some time.", but it should say something like "You consider dealing with the trader. Your equipment will allow you to exchange goods quickly."

I will be replacing all these texts in my own mod where stores can have cargo teleporters, that is why I found the a few originals ones which are wrong.

I'll look into that. I also inquired in your thread what you think about me integrating your idea to some extend into main CE. I'd probably go with a 20% chance of stores having cargo teleporters.

SpaceDux wrote:- Where are the System stun boarding bots, haven't seen one since adding CE/EL, add them back

They are still there, although more rare as it is impossible to add duplicates for these to even out rarity. Thats why they are available at other points in the game. Inquire at your nebula weapons trader for special tech or get an Internal AI to engineer it on board. Overall the Ion intruder is actually easier to get than other internal drones due to these fixed occasions where it is available.

SpaceDux wrote:-I don't know if its EL or CE but the scatter lasers seem to come up too much on enemies, again I want CE/EL to feel like it adds to advanced not overrides it

I'd just like to point out again that I do not recommend leaving EL gear enabled for enemies (There is the EL Vanilla Enemy Loadouts addon to deny them the gear). EL gear on enemies will be highly unpredictable and will also mess up weapon rarity. I should probably point that out more clearly at the frontpage... :roll:

Other than that fugu already pretty much put my thoughts into words here. Remember that you can always disable CEs player ship loadouts with the Player Ship Vanilla Loadouts addon. That allows to get the Slug achievement with CE enabled for example. Trading can already be very profitable and is a great way to reduce risk. You can dig through the thread a little if you want my full opinion on the trade system.

Considering ship sizes:
Yeah, I can see that the Mantis Minelayer hull would probably be better suited for hight tier Mantis ships. If anyone feels like providing alternate larger hulls for the stations then I'd surely consider putting them in.

R&D news
1.218 is coming along nicely. Combat augments will have power costs, which adds another thing to consider when using them and makes them less of an "advantages only" thing. Effectors also have changed a little visually, to set them apart more clearly from actual hacking.
ultrako

Postby ultrako » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 am

After jumping to a beacon from a nebula (I dont know if it was in a nebula) in a civilian sector, my ftl froze.I have the window on right now, and I've saved it as an image.
http://gyazo.com/14b2df7b1458cd4522fb8b15283a775e
Also (but this did not cause a crash) some ship's textures did not work, resulting in a bunch of rooms with floating weapons and the background behind.
While loading some non-existent innerpaths weren't appended:
data/misc.xml
data/dlcevents.xml
data/dlcBlueprints.xml
data/dlcEventsOverwrite.xml
data/dlcEvents_anaerobic.xml
data/dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml
I loaded my game again, and the save was lost.
ultrako

Postby ultrako » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 am

After jumping to a beacon from a nebula (I dont know if it was in a nebula) in a civilian sector, my ftl froze.I have the window on right now, and I've saved it as an image.
Also (but this did not cause a crash) some ship's textures did not work, resulting in a bunch of rooms with floating weapons and the background behind.
data/misc.xml
data/dlcevents.xml
data/dlcBlueprints.xml
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:09 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
Jopyth wrote:I will be replacing all these texts in my own mod where stores can have cargo teleporters, that is why I found the a few originals ones which are wrong.

I'll look into that. I also inquired in your thread what you think about me integrating your idea to some extend into main CE. I'd probably go with a 20% chance of stores having cargo teleporters.

That could be interesting. Will we know when a store has a Cargo Teleporter before buying or selling something? Also, it could be interesting if the store charges extra fees to use their Cargo Teleporter. ;) :idea:

As far as the trade system in general goes, I feel bad for talking about it before. I feel many modders including myself forget the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" concept a lot. :roll: It may be good if "general" trade goods with no special demand in any sector could fit in your cargo hold and other "larger" shipments required augment space. But it isn't necessary, just a thought.

Sleeper Service wrote:Considering ship sizes:
Yeah, I can see that the Mantis Minelayer hull would probably be better suited for hight tier Mantis ships. If anyone feels like providing alternate larger hulls for the stations then I'd surely consider putting them in.

Thanks Sleeper. :) That is probably the best response I could have hoped for on that issue. I like your Stations, but if somebody else wanted to make some larger ones that would be great. Maybe then we could have two types of stations. The smaller ones could be outposts. ;)

I think the Mantis Minelayer should instead become some sort of Mantis Invasion vessel with something like 4-5 Mantises on-board minimum.
Sleeper Service wrote:R&D news
1.218 is coming along nicely. Combat augments will have power costs, which adds another thing to consider when using them and makes them less of an "advantages only" thing. Effectors also have changed a little visually, to set them apart more clearly from actual hacking.

The power cost for augments could be interesting and could make the backup battery and such more useful. It also gives you an incentive to upgrade sensors too in order to see if your augments will be effective or not. The defensive augments however I think might not be as useful due to the power loss. Offensive augments could be balanced by giving them a power cost though. Especially the Radiation Projector and Ion Field Generator.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

ultrako wrote:After jumping to a beacon from a nebula (I dont know if it was in a nebula) in a civilian sector, my ftl froze.I have the window on right now, and I've saved it as an image.
data/misc.xml
data/dlcevents.xml
data/dlcBlueprints.xml

You do not have Advanced Edition installed. Captains Edition won't work correctly without it.
(AE is a free official update for FTL that came out a few months ago)