Missing: "LOW O2" WARNING

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Russian Rockman

Missing: "LOW O2" WARNING

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon May 26, 2014 4:51 pm

This isn't really a Bug, but I really wish that the "LOW O2" warning would come back. I miss it both for practical reasons and because it is always cool to have a whole bunch of warnings pop up on your UI. I've let my crew suffocate a few times now because I keep waiting for the "LOW O2" sound a warning to come on before turning my oxygen back on.

I understand why you removed the warning, because of the Lanius. But I still wish it would come back. Maybe remove just the sound it makes? or make it not appear only when using the Lanius cruiser?
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Missing: "LOW O2" WARNING

Postby Matthew » Mon May 26, 2014 5:03 pm

I thought we only removed it for the Lanius... oops.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon May 26, 2014 10:44 pm

I thought this was a design decision because you could in theory could have an all-Lanius crew on any ship. Glad to hear it's a bug because I've lost an entire ship (or everybody but the guy right next to the medbay) on more than one occasion when my attention was distracted after a battle where I had the O2 off.

I was going to suggest doing the alert sound when the O2 dropped below a threshold (25%, 20%, even 0% would be fine) and show the alert graphic for several seconds after that, and then it goes away.

But anything that puts the alert back in some way would be appreciated :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
jpfx1342

Postby jpfx1342 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:27 am

Actually, instead of (or in addition to) the Low O2 warning, how about a suffocation warning? At this time, the only warning that your crew are dying due to vacuum is the standard "Low Health Warning". By the time this warning occurs, it's very unlikely they'll survive. (If one room is empty, *all* your rooms are probably empty, so the mad dash to the Medbay is usually fatal.) I've lost a great number of crew (and games) because I didn't notice a room was empty until the last minute. (Usually because I was busy with something else, like combat.)

This would also avoid the trouble with the Lanius, because they just wouldn't trigger the warning.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 am

jpfx1342 wrote:...

Best first post ever?

Very cool idea, there.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
jpfx1342

Postby jpfx1342 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am

5thHorseman wrote:
jpfx1342 wrote:...

Best first post ever?

Very cool idea, there.

I mean, really. You'd think your crew would be smart enough to tell you when they're choking to death.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat May 31, 2014 2:20 am

jpfx1342 wrote:I mean, really. You'd think your crew would be smart enough to tell you when they're choking to death.

:lol: If your crew was choking to death they wouldn't be able to tell you anything... 8-)
jpfx1342

Postby jpfx1342 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:49 am

Russian Rockman wrote::lol: If your crew was choking to death they wouldn't be able to tell you anything... 8-)

Oh, right. Good point. :lol: But still, your life support is smart enough to warn you when they're about to die, you'd think it'd be smart enough to tell you when something is killing them.