Clone bay fails to clone hostile-turned crew member.

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
noodlesandrice

Clone bay fails to clone hostile-turned crew member.

Postby noodlesandrice » Mon May 26, 2014 4:05 am

I'm not sure if this is so much an overlook in script as it is a bug, but I recently did the merchants request quest- the one where a merchant gives you 5 drone parts to deliver. When I arrived at the quest beacon, it gave me the event where there was an abandoned research station. After I chose to dock and investigate, one of my crew members were infected, and I used the teleport option to teleport him back, and he subsequently got infected and turned hostile. After I killed him, I expected the clone bay to clone him, but nothing happened. Is this some sort of a bug, or is it intentional?
RAD-82

Re: Clone bay fails to clone hostile-turned crew member.

Postby RAD-82 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 am

I would say, intentional. They are hostile, so you wouldn't want to clone an enemy.

-----

I looked at the event, STATION_SICK_LIST, and noodlesandrice's post is about the third possible event. Then I noticed in the second possible event a potential crash.

Code: Select all

<event>
      <text>You dock with the station and see a frantic person banging on the airlock door. Once inside your ship, he drops to the floor saying, "My... friends... They've gone insane... They're coming!" You hand him a blaster and turn to see a number of people charging toward the ship.</text>
      <crewMember amount="1"/>
      <choice>
         <text>Prepare for a fight!</text>
         <event>
            <boarders min="3" max="4" class="human"/>
         </event>
      </choice>
      <choice hidden="true" req="medbay" lvl="3" max_group="0">
         <text>(Medbay) Have the Advanced Medbay analyze their condition.</text>
         <event>
            <text>You hold them off while retreating into the Med-bay. Its advanced systems determine that an alien neurotoxin is the cause of their frenzy. It synthesizes an antidote and releases it into the room. After a time, the scientists recover. One offers their services as thanks for saving them.</text>
            <crewMember repair="1" amount="1"/>
            <autoReward level="MED">scrap_only</autoReward>
         </event>
      </choice> 
   </event>

You can receive two crew members! I haven't checked since Advanced Edition came out, but before that, this would cause a crash if you already had a full crew, since the game couldn't handle more than 9 crew when the dismissal screen pops up after the event.
KomissarBojanchev

Postby KomissarBojanchev » Mon May 26, 2014 11:03 am

Its also very unfair that you cant revive crew lost on a jumping enemy ship. Why was that also intentional?
noodlesandrice

Postby noodlesandrice » Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:Its also very unfair that you cant revive crew lost on a jumping enemy ship. Why was that also intentional?

Well, cloning is already pretty op as it is. And according to FTL lore, it's illegal/immoral to have multiple clones of a person who is still alive. I was just wondering why the crew doesn't get cloned in this case, considering how he ends up dying.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 am

That crew member is permanently infected and cannot be cloned. Sorry :(

@RAD-82 - The game handles it without a crash. You just have to dismiss someone twice. I doubt you could add two crew with one tag, though I haven't tried.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Matthew wrote:@RAD-82 - The game handles it without a crash. You just have to dismiss someone twice. I doubt you could add two crew with one tag, though I haven't tried.

That's nice to know. Thanks for fixing that.

I just did a test where I added six crew with one tag on a ship that already had four, and it worked. However, adding multiple crew with one tag causes them all to be the same crew, as in they were all the same race and had the same name.