I only just noticed this

General discussion about the game.
gja102

I only just noticed this

Postby gja102 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:04 pm

There's a grammatical error in the victory message.

The apostrophe is in the wrong place, it should be "Rebels' Flagship". At the moment it suggests there was only one Rebel.

Sorry to be pedantic.
UltraMantis

Re: I only just noticed this

Postby UltraMantis » Sat May 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Well spotted. :shock: I never noticed this. There shouldn't be an apostrophe at all, right? Just "Rebels"
At least i think so.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat May 10, 2014 4:52 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Well spotted. :shock: I never noticed this. There shouldn't be an apostrophe at all, right? Just "Rebels"
At least i think so.

If "Rebel" is a singular noun and it owns the flagship, it should be "Rebel's Flagship." This is what it says, but it does sound wrong.
If "Rebels" is a plural noun and they own the flagship, it should be "Rebels' Flagship." This is one of the two valid ways to put it.
If "Rebel" is an adjective describing the noun "flagship," it should be "Rebel Flagship." This is the other of the two valid ways to put it.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Well it's valid if "Rebel" is the name of the faction. It does sound weird, though. Language changes over time so maybe it's weird space grammar :p I'd put my vote for "Rebel Flagship".
stvip

Postby stvip » Sat May 10, 2014 9:10 pm

5thHorseman wrote:

If "Rebel" is a singular noun and it owns the flagship, it should be "Rebel's Flagship." This is what it says, but it does sound wrong.
If "Rebels" is a plural noun and they own the flagship, it should be "Rebels' Flagship." This is one of the two valid ways to put it.
If "Rebel" is an adjective describing the noun "flagship," it should be "Rebel Flagship." This is the other of the two valid ways to put it.[/quote]

Third valid way: if "Rebels" is a singular noun (being the name of the faction), "Rebels's Flagship" would also be, while terrible sounding, correct. Of course, it is this kind of pedantry that caused them to rebel against the Federation in the first place.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat May 10, 2014 11:42 pm

stvip wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:

If "Rebel" is an adjective describing the noun "flagship," it should be "Rebel Flagship." This is the other of the two valid ways to put it.

Third valid way: if "Rebels" is a singular noun (being the name of the faction), "Rebels's Flagship" would also be, while terrible sounding, correct. Of course, it is this kind of pedantry that caused them to rebel against the Federation in the first place.[/quote]

Haha :)

Though as someone whose name ends with an "s", I know that that would actually still be "Rebels' Flagship"
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

FtDLulz

Postby FtDLulz » Sat May 10, 2014 11:55 pm

It is really odd that it hasn't been fixed.
Last edited by FtDLulz on Sat May 17, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghaleon

Postby Ghaleon » Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am

Rebel's flagship is correct cuz you killed all the crewmen on their ship but that laser turret guy right? =P
stvip

Postby stvip » Sun May 11, 2014 12:46 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Haha :)

Though as someone whose name ends with an "s", I know that that would actually still be "Rebels' Flagship"

Well, not sure what you'd take as authoritative, but:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... tv57.shtml
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm

So both forms are correct. Would you like to buy my grammar guide for 45 scrap? Respirators not included.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 11, 2014 6:35 pm

stvip wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:Though as someone whose name ends with an "s", I know that that would actually still be "Rebels' Flagship"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... tv57.shtml
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/possessives.htm

So both forms are correct. Would you like to buy my grammar guide for 45 scrap? Respirators not included.

I actually didn't know that, though I'll stick with the way I know, and especially because the AP style guide says to :)

Language is crazy, though, and there's always an exception to every rule (except this one).
My Videos - MY MOD HUB