Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Jai

Re: Crew left on a ship that jumps away doesnt get cloned

Postby Jai » Fri May 02, 2014 11:14 pm

They may need to store a lot more than just your basic DNA. They aren't cloning a baby who grows up into you, they're cloning an adult you, in 10 seconds. Indeed, maybe what the DNA bank really stores is the configuration of the neurons in your brain, so that you can 'think' the same when you are reborn. Also, who knows what kind of armoring, protection, backups, cooling, resistance to gamma radiation, etc. this system would need above and beyond what the ship already provides.

TL:DR - It's probably doing a lot more than just storing your basic DNA sequence.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat May 03, 2014 8:40 am

The Clone Bay creates clones of dead crew. Not missing or captured, only dead. CB is very powerfull as it is, letting you clone crew left on board another ship would completely remove all threat to crew lives.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Jai

Postby Jai » Sat May 03, 2014 9:31 am

UltraMantis wrote:The Clone Bay creates clones of dead crew. Not missing or captured, only dead. CB is very powerfull as it is, letting you clone crew left on board another ship would completely remove all threat to crew lives.

We're really not discussing the gameplay balance reasons for the way the clone bay works...nor is there really any dispute about when it works, as playing the game makes it quite apparent when it works and when it doesn't. What we're doing is coming up with a plausible reason for "why" it might work the way it does in a non-'game balance' world of FTL.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun May 04, 2014 2:57 am

Yeah but you dont get a high post count without stating the obvious a lot. :D
And missing the point here and there.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:10 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Yeah but you dont get a high post count without stating the obvious a lot. :D

Nor do you get one without a few replies stating you've totally been there and know how it feels ;)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jai

Postby Jai » Mon May 05, 2014 5:41 am

5thHorseman wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:Yeah but you dont get a high post count without stating the obvious a lot. :D

Nor do you get one without a few replies stating you've totally been there and know how it feels ;)

Damn, I totally know that feeling bro.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

To further derail the topic, it would be a cool feature to let the clone bay be manned for it work (at all or at least faster), as we now have determined how complex a thing cloning someone in a couple of seconds really is, so it would certainly help someone supervising the process.

And for extrahilarity, let a hacked clone bay or a mind-controlled crew member be able to churn out clones that are fighting you :-D
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 pm

I think the biggest issue with the clone bay is.. it's just inconsistent and illogical. They should have come up with some other name, like "emergency teleporter" or something.

So, if your man dies, you get a new one. But only if they die horribly (like against giant spiders). If they die in a space station: http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Damaged_Space_Station then suddenly they're infected, and obviously then so is their clone? But we have augmented DNA banks, which apparently store the DNA code of a person if the clone bay is down.. except if they're infected or jump away or.. come up on a few other events I've since forgotten. I mean, it's a pretty hit on suspension if disbelief that the infection warped space-time to travel back in time to infect all DNA samples from that person in the history of ever.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 pm

project_mercy wrote:I mean, it's a pretty hit on suspension if disbelief that the infection warped space-time to travel back in time to infect all DNA samples from that person in the history of ever.

You've never heard of subspace chronovirii?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jai

Postby Jai » Thu May 08, 2014 4:58 pm

project_mercy wrote:I think the biggest issue with the clone bay is.. it's just inconsistent and illogical. They should have come up with some other name, like "emergency teleporter" or something.

So, if your man dies, you get a new one. But only if they die horribly (like against giant spiders). If they die in a space station: http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Damaged_Space_Station then suddenly they're infected, and obviously then so is their clone? But we have augmented DNA banks, which apparently store the DNA code of a person if the clone bay is down.. except if they're infected or jump away or.. come up on a few other events I've since forgotten. I mean, it's a pretty hit on suspension if disbelief that the infection warped space-time to travel back in time to infect all DNA samples from that person in the history of ever.

Well, like I said, my explanation does cover, in a fairly believable manner, all the possibilities *except* this one.

I think they just need to change that particular event and let the clone bay work, it just makes no sense for the disease to 'follow into the next life', and it's not like changing that one event would throw off the balance of the game.