Is there a Hard mode?

General discussion about the game.
LNQ

Is there a Hard mode?

Postby LNQ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Got the game yesterday and finished with Kestrel and Torus (4360 and 4361 score, respectively .. pretty close :) ).

I was wondering since there's "EASY" and "NORMAL" difficulties, whether there is also an unlockable HARD difficulty, or any plans on introducing one? The game is pretty challenging but I still managed to be victorious 2 / 2 of my runs so far. I would really like a difficulty level where you would only be able to finish the game if you got an insanely good run..

EDIT:
I might add that I did quit with the Kestrel in Sector 1 on the first / second star twice before the first playthru, and my Windows auto-restarted when I was at Sector 5 with the Torus the first time so I had to quit. Tho I had a much better run with the Torus the first time, so I think I was on my way to victory regardless.

EDIT2:
Just FYI, I had the Kestrel fully pimped by killing the crew in most encounters before the Flagship, and my final weaponry was Burst laser III, burst laser II and Breach missile + Defense Drone II and the Boarding Drone.

Torus had the starting Ion cannon, Hull Beam, Burst Laser I + drones Def1, Antiship1, Beam1. Shields at 3, engine at 4, augments were drone recovery arm, engi medbay and faster weapon recharge.
fall_ark

Re: Is there a Hard mode?

Postby fall_ark » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Not yet, but with a lot of players requesting it, it will probably be in in an expansion/big update, along with whatever new things the devs might deliver. ;)

Why not try some other ships and adopt a "style" instead of always gearing towards the same ship? Most new ships/types are already designed with inherent advantages and disadvantages, and part of the beauty of FTL is the different ships/playing styles. :)
You can post images in signature?
LNQ

Re: Is there a Hard mode?

Postby LNQ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 pm

I haven't yet gotten other ships than the Engi and the Federation ship. I'll try with the fed ship next.

I did have the Engi ship work as a ion / drone / beam ship and the Kestrel was a boarding ship with lots of lasers and defence, so I'm already doing pretty good on the differentiation part. Maybe I'll try to get a built that will kill the enemy as quick as possible next.

Thanks for the response. :)