FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
The Captain

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.105 / CE Infinite 1.005

Postby The Captain » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:You're thinking of Sonar, which is usually used underwater.

Maybe he's not - wouldn't many types EM waves bounce off a ship?

Radar uses radio waves, which because they're a form of electromagnetic radiation are actually light waves.
Um, unless you see in the radio part of the spectrum (wavelengths of 1mm and up), you wouldn't call them "light" waves. The visible (for humans) part of the spectrum is pretty small: 380 to 760 nm.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:55 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Interesting thought. If we invented cloaking it wouldn't even be very useful on Earth because you can still use sound to locate things, like with Radar. It would work in space though because there is no way for sound to travel. Unless there is something like Radio waves that could maybe bounce off the ship. Also, love the name "Subspace Scanners"

You're thinking of Sonar, which is usually used underwater. Radar uses radio waves, which because they're a form of electromagnetic radiation are actually light waves.

Derp, Yes I knew that sorry... :? *facepalm* Yes I was referring to sonar or echolocation of any kind which can be used underwater of on land. It would not work in space because there is no air to carry sound waves, I believe.

Radar would probably work in space. That's what I meant.

EDIT: Another interesting thought. Assume that "Subspace Scanners" was an anti-cloaking augment. "Subspace," according to Wikipedia, is sort of a parallel universe in Sci-Fi. So this is inferring that FTL Cloaking works by sending the ship to Subspace. Maybe that explains why Cloaking allows you to magically dodge already incomming projectiles and especially giant asteroids...
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24 am

You know I seriously think you should add something like this to the tips list... :lol:

TIP: READING TIPS PROVIDES YOU WITH VALUABLE INFORMATION! No you don't know everything. You may think you do, but you don't... NOOB!!! Every time you start a new game a new random TIP will be displayed.

My reason for this is I have seen tons of lets plays and comments from people on the forums who don't know simple things! In several nooby lets plays I've seen people just completely skip over the tips and say they're not important. Some of them may not be all that important, but many of them I actually found very helpful when I was a noob.

Just some examples of extremely nooby behavior I still see often.
*Rushing to the exit beacon
*Using auto-fire exclusively and never volleying weapons
*Never using auto-fire when appropriate
*Always choosing green sectors over anything else
*Upgrading nothing but shields
*Avoiding ever using a teleporter
*Not pausing
*Not redistributing power that isn't currently being used
*Being confused why beams don't deplete shields (No seriously)
*Visiting a store when they only have 10 scrap
*Never buying fuel, but always buying missiles and always repairing hull no matter how expensive it is (I even saw someone repair 20 points of hull damage for 4 scrap each when they had bought a hull repair arm! Which they kept!!!)
*Sending crew in to fight giant alien spiders (Ok that's a joke, that's something people should learn on their own)

It just bugs me that the only negative reviews for FTL are pansies saying "OMG, this game sucks. It's so hard. Totally unbeatable. Everything isn't handed to you for free. Its not as good as Call of Duty. Thumbs down, 0/5"
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Three things:

1-I'm thinking that instead of having a dedicated hacking augment for it, the FTL Jammer could do both its original and the hacking job: have it disable only one engine bar on top of its FTL recharge jamming ability. Unless you add some stations with encased engines and cockpit and/or blue options on surrender truce betraying for the FTL Jammer, it's still not worth buying. Similarly, I'm thinking you should merge the Adv. FTL Navigation and the Adv. Nav-Com. Change the names appropiately.

2-Found a rogue holo-scout (engi design) on the nano-cloud who offered me surrender. On the topic, I entered the sector in the middle of the nano-cloud, though the entry beacon had normal nebula. There's a mistery for you if you're bored.

3-Due to the huge work that it would be amending it, enemy ships don't have all the decorative tiles player ships have on the system rooms. However, it bugs me a little bit that all player ship's 2x2 medbays only have 3 occupable tiles to to said decorative stuff, while enemy 2x2 medbays have a full capacity of 4 due to being empty. If you don't feel making them 3x3 sleepy, maybe you agree with me, slowie. Only downside would be that you can't board them with 4 crew at once and crysta-block all of them in.

EDIT: Also, I was with full crew (2 of which AI avatars already) WHEN i REACHED THE aI Overrun sector, so I had to turn down a few offers from federation/captive/friendly/reprogrammed AI avatars to join my crew. Some where simply "Turn the holo-projector off", but at least one was on the lines of "crewman D fries its biological circuits with a wielder". On the latter kind, it would feel appropiate to recieve at least one symbolic piece of scrap. Similarly, on the appropiate flavour texts, it would be nice to have to pay 1 symbolic piece of scrap to have them join you, also on the surrendered rebel auto-ships.
Last edited by Mr. Mister on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:1-I'm thinking that instead of having a dedicated hacking augment for it, the FTL Jammer could do both its original and the hacking job: have it disable only one engine bar on top of its FTL recharge jamming ability. Unless you add some stations with encased engines and cockpit and/or blue options on surrender truce betraying for the FTL Jammer, it's still not worth buying. Similarly, I'm thinking you should merge the Adv. FTL Navigation and the Adv. Nav-Com. Change the names appropiately.

Hm, could be considered, although I like that there is a distinction between FTL and "impulse" engines you use for dodging. Also it looks like you will be able to hack engines in AE anyway.

Mr. Mister wrote:2-Found a rogue holo-scout (engi design) on the nano-cloud who offered me surrender. On the topic, I entered the sector in the middle of the nano-cloud, though the entry beacon had normal nebula. There's a mistery for you if you're bored.

Thats a known problem, there is no way to fix this that I know of. This will happen for all entry beacons that are created at nebula list beacons. Also happens in industrial sectors and the behavior is the same for exit beacons.

Mr. Mister wrote:3-Due to the huge work that it would be amending it, enemy ships don't have all the decorative tiles player ships have on the system rooms. However, it bugs me a little bit that all player ship's 2x2 medbays only have 3 occupable tiles to to said decorative stuff, while enemy 2x2 medbays have a full capacity of 4 due to being empty. If you don't feel making them 3x3 sleepy, maybe you agree with me, slowie. Only downside would be that you can't board them with 4 crew at once and crysta-block all of them in.

Enemy ships can not display room graphics at all. I don't mind that enemies have 4 tile med bays. And by limiting enemy med bay space, aren't you basically asking for a boarding buff here? Cause I'd say most people wouldn't deem that necessary.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Found a Holo-Mechanic with life support. Did you really let the player surrender before holo-ships intentionally? I thought their only purpose was to consume you. They do not show piety, and do not fear death for they are limbs of the nano-cloud.

Any knowloedge on what happens when you give a negative shield piercing to a beam? Mostly, does the negative piercing still deduct from damage if there is no shield at all?
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 pm

They maybe calculated their chance of a successful fight, hence accepting a surrender from the player.
I thought their only purpose was to consume you. They do not show piety, and do not fear death for they are limbs of the nano-cloud.
With this logic, A.I. ships shouldn't be able to surrender themselfes. Because, why should they care about their death? But sometimes they do.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Found a Holo-Mechanic with life support.

That does not seem to be a CE ship. *shrug* But yeah, AIs are no monsters, they are sentient and pretty smart so the wont necessarily murder you if you don't fight back. I consider reworking this a little, maybe give them a custom surrender procedure. Right now AIs tend to flee rather than surrender, but allowing them to surrenderer themselves is also on some to do list.

Mr. Mister wrote:Any knowledge on what happens when you give a negative shield piercing to a beam? Mostly, does the negative piercing still deduct from damage if there is no shield at all?

Not really. I don't think neg. piercing does anything. Beam damage reduction is a separate thing from actual shield piercing I believe. Could be worth a test.
The wise Sten

Postby The wise Sten » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Just won with Fed A on an older CEi build. Got to flagship, beat first 2 phases with little problem. Phase 3, things started going downhill with all superweapons and missiles wittling me down, but the flagship was also having problems due to my Vindicator an missiles and stuff.But in the end I died.

Along with the flagship. Last of my shots impacted it while I was exploding.

Most satisfactory victory ever. I feel giddy and need to tell everyone. :lol: 8-)
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Found a Holo-Mechanic with life support. Did you really let the player surrender before holo-ships intentionally? I thought their only purpose was to consume you. They do not show piety, and do not fear death for they are limbs of the nano-cloud.

Got that fixed on my end. Known as the AI Repair Ship in base CE.