FTL Multiplayer

General discussion about the game.
Blooperluigi

FTL Multiplayer

Postby Blooperluigi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm developing a multiplayer version of FTL and since this mod is being made for the players, it should have contributions from the players.
What kinds of things would you like to see in the mod?
What kinds of game modes?
New weapons?
New game mechanics?
Ranks?
Items?
Feel free to add anything :)

Goto:

http://ftlmultispace.blogspot.co.uk/ To see a more in-depth report of progress (very vague at the moment but I promise i'll keep it updated!)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22259 To see the official post for this mod.

Happy gaming!
Developer of FTL:Multispace
Mendel

Re: FTL Multiplayer

Postby Mendel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Game mode:
Fleet battle.

Both players get 5 ships and start a battle with one each.
when one of the ships is destroyed, the loser picks his next ship and winner continues with whatever is left of his first ship. Player who kills all ships of the opponent first, will win.

variations:
a) ships are pre-built standard ships
b) players get a set of resources (weapons, money, systems) and can fit these on their ships before the battle starts.
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:13 pm

another game mode:
Human Rebel Fleet (and other ships)

Like single player game, only another player controls all the enemy ships of the single player game. When the player ship is destroyed or final boss is beaten, the roles are reversed.

The player who gets most points by the end of game is the winner.
Arctanas

Postby Arctanas » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:26 am

Sounds awesome, here's one that has been suggested many times: 1v1, both players pick their ship and start with 1000 scrap to pick their weapons, system levels, crew etc, then battle to the death without pausing. Also an lobby based MMO version of FTL, you host a game and have like 6 people join, you all start in the first sector and work your way to the boss like normal. (Either just real time, which would be weird, or with turn based, but would kinda suck waiting) Whoever beats the boss at the end first wins, basically. So you can chose to work alongside some of the people, or you can try kill them to get them out of the game, its up to you. :)
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:58 am

Mendel wrote:Game mode:
Fleet battle.

Both players get 5 ships and start a battle with one each.
when one of the ships is destroyed, the loser picks his next ship and winner continues with whatever is left of his first ship. Player who kills all ships of the opponent first, will win.

variations:
a) ships are pre-built standard ships
b) players get a set of resources (weapons, money, systems) and can fit these on their ships before the battle starts.

This is a really good idea :D Thanks for the help
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 am

Mendel wrote:another game mode:
Human Rebel Fleet (and other ships)

Like single player game, only another player controls all the enemy ships of the single player game. When the player ship is destroyed or final boss is beaten, the roles are reversed.

The player who gets most points by the end of game is the winner.

This could work:D thanks for the interest
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 am

Arctanas wrote:Sounds awesome, here's one that has been suggested many times: 1v1, both players pick their ship and start with 1000 scrap to pick their weapons, system levels, crew etc, then battle to the death without pausing. Also an lobby based MMO version of FTL, you host a game and have like 6 people join, you all start in the first sector and work your way to the boss like normal. (Either just real time, which would be weird, or with turn based, but would kinda suck waiting) Whoever beats the boss at the end first wins, basically. So you can chose to work alongside some of the people, or you can try kill them to get them out of the game, its up to you. :)

Some great ideas :D thanks :)
zeek

Postby zeek » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm

I doubt that it's possible in a mod, but mirror mode would be cool. By that I mean a mode where players can play the exact same game as others. Meaning every jump would result in the same RNG. If you go to a store it has the same options available as if someone else goes to the same store, if you decide to fight the giant spiders then it's pre-determined if you'll win or lose and everyone who chooses that option gets the same result. Basically a way to see how differently people's runs end up based on their choices alone.

That way friends can setup challenges to see who can do X better given the exact same circumstances.
Dark-Thomy

Postby Dark-Thomy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 am

With a friend we already talked about "what a multiplayer FTL could be" ...

There's many possibilities ; personally, I would like the game to be quite the same, except that at either every jump, either every moment, you may come across another player's ship !..
Then, why not having for both player a long list of "What to do?"

If the first one chooses to show his goods but the second want to fight, it will trigger the proper event !

By the way, the "pause" button would work for only a few seconds and have a reload time...
(what about a "space-time controle room" which allows to use "pause" ?... ^^
Players could focus it..)
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:04 pm

zeek wrote:I doubt that it's possible in a mod, but mirror mode would be cool. By that I mean a mode where players can play the exact same game as others. Meaning every jump would result in the same RNG. If you go to a store it has the same options available as if someone else goes to the same store, if you decide to fight the giant spiders then it's pre-determined if you'll win or lose and everyone who chooses that option gets the same result. Basically a way to see how differently people's runs end up based on their choices alone.

That way friends can setup challenges to see who can do X better given the exact same circumstances.

Technically this isn't a mod, rather, It's a re-write. So far I've been able to make communications between client and server, which has been extremely difficult but from now on, progress should be quick and relatively easy. I like the idea of mirror mode though :D I can see some ideas for that :)
Thanks,
Blooper