[Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
tokepoke

Re: [Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Postby tokepoke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:57 pm

I could try that again... The last time I placed the charging animation in the shooting animation, it made it way too fast, even putting just a single cycle of the animation is 7 more frames. But I guess it would look ok if I get the "speed-up" in the few frames between 2 charge cycles.

EDIT: tried it a few times, but the animation is just too fast, even if I add just a few frames to the firing animation. I'm trying to capture the look and feel of the original Starcraft, which didn't have a very high framerate in it's animations. So I feel like what I have now is as good as it can be.
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Oh man, this is not a forum I thought I'd be active on again. It's good to be back though. :P
I did get your message (sorry it took so long!) and here's the Let's Play!
Part 1: http://youtu.be/yDqMDVOkNoQ
Part 2: http://youtu.be/K3Nep1a4wuo

Unfortunately, when I got back on the game to record Episode 3, my save file disappeared somewhere, so this LP kinda ends abruptly :(
Otherwise, it was a fun ship! Looked cool and the Yamato Animation was quite nice!
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Ginger Dragon wrote:Oh man, this is not a forum I thought I'd be active on again.

Wai not?
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 am

He took a break from FTL for awhile and thus took a break from FTL forum.

Do you still go on the forums for a game you don't (think you'll) play anymore?
He recently came back (slow it seems seeing his youtube content) and didn't expect to be back.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
forsaken67

Postby forsaken67 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:37 am

tokepoke wrote:Yes! I just found out that I can do the animation with <delaychargeanim>, I didn't have a charge animation on the yamato cannon before. Tweaking the number of frames ATM to try to get a smooth animation. A bomb type weapon would not have a projectile, which is the most important visual aspect of the yamato cannon. Thanks for the support though.

Right now I have 27 frames for the weapon strip the last 4 being the firing animation and everything before is the charge-up, which is quite a lot. The animation is a bit buggy, and it seems it picks frame length as a multiple of a base time value, and scales that proportional to the entire charge time (in my case different power levels for the artillery). So there must be a "max frames" for the animation. Does somebody happen to know this value? I can probably find it out by myself through testing. It would be nice to find it out so that I could make each frame of my animation equally long.

EDIT:Nevermind, mimicking the original bomb weapons ratio of charge animation frames to the delaychargeanim value is way more straightforward.

EDIT EDIT: apparently the game can't animate smoothly any more than 4 frames of charging animation (frame no. 0: unpowered, frame no.5 powered) so the highest properly working value for <chargedFrame> is 5, which is a bit disappointing. Adding more frames to the charging animation makes the game lose frames gradually more and more. The game shows the previous frame in place of the lost frame resulting in a double length frame. I started testing with my original 21 frames of charging animation and lost 4 frames ingame, coming down to the eventual 4 frames of charging animation all original game assets use. :(

Well, I guess the mod can now be officially considered finished.

So this may explain why my 45 frame weapon animation is a white box XD sigh :/ the shorter 19 one runs smoother though these engine limitations are disappointing... i would love to see them increase the capabilities of this engine one day so we can make crazy creations! I suppose im going to have to rethink my weapon....
_Leguan12_

Postby _Leguan12_ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 pm

How could you replace the artillery system?
I never found a way to do this :oops:
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 am

_Leguan12_ wrote:How could you replace the artillery system?
I never found a way to do this :oops:

I only modified the artillery weapon, not the system itself.
Now in AE you can even have multiple artillery weapons and specify which one to use in the ship blueprint.

I'm currently working on expanding the mod to have three battlecruisers, replacing fed cruiser A, B and C. Most of the work is done. I'm just figuring out starting equipment and playtesting.
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Update complete. Edited the first post with new images and descriptions.
IxFa

Postby IxFa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:06 pm

I am very very fond of this. Just finished beating a run with the Hyperion. No shields to start with made it tough at points, but pre-igniter and a laser battery helped immensely.

Asteroid belts are death if you don't leave ASAP, prior to getting a shield system.

And so I really like this ship mod, I just want to see that the appearance of the Battle Cruiser is a bit too jarring. It's blurry and dark, it just doesn't match the game's art style. If I could do a better job, I'd be more than happy to just make an FTL-style BC and offer it to you to use, but I'm terrible.

Also, how does one use the "stand-alone" ship?
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm happy to hear you like it :D

Yes, the ship image doesn't quite fit in FTL since its just a screenshot of a highly detailed 3d model. I'd be happy to use an alternative if someone made one and upload it as an alternate version. I once considered doing one myself but it would be so time consuming and I'm OK with the current image.

The "stand-alone" ship means that it works by itself as a separate mod.

You can also use it with the whole battlecruisers mod if you want to replace the type-C "Norad IV" with the "Jackson's Revenge". Just install both and make sure the "Jackson's Revenge" is under the "battlecruisers" mod in the mod manager. That way It will be applied afterwards and replaces the "Norad IV".

I seem to have forgot to include the interior image for the shield room in the stand-alone ship, will fix it someday.