Main menu causes horrible fan sound(Radeon 6850)

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
cl0ckw0rk

Main menu causes horrible fan sound(Radeon 6850)

Postby cl0ckw0rk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 pm

UPDATE:Forcing Vsync in the Catalyst Control Center makes the noise never occur. Devs please add an internal Vsync option.

The game is great so far, however when at the main menu of the game, my video card fan begins to kick into maximum overdrive(i guess) and the fan produces this really bad whirring noise, loud enough to be noticeable over the main menu music. While I initially thought that my card was dying, I've done a couple of other tests that reveals some interesting information: Opening the options menu from the main menu causes the sound to stop and the sound returns as soon as you quit the options menu, the sound DOES NOT occur at all from the ship selection onward during gameplay including if you access the pause menu, Speccy says nothing on my computer is overheating and no other games I own cause the sound to start(Skyrim, DOTA 2, Mcpixel, Team Fortress 2 are the ones I tested). This leads me to believe there may be some strange thing in the way the main menu is rendered. It's not a big deal, as I'm on the main menu for about 3.5 seconds, however it scared the hell out of me when I left it minimized to pull up netflix and I'm assuming that's not supposed to happen. I've attached my specs and a dxdiag as well.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Main menu causes horrible fan sound(Radeon 6850)

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:50 am

Glad you got it worked out. We plan to include better V-Sync options once we get a chance to put out an update. Hope you enjoy the game :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here