Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
The Captain

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b [New Release: CE Infinite]

Postby The Captain » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Nope, not Polish kit.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Wow that's a pretty long list of tags. I can see you have given this some thought. I can't really think of new ones right now, I can only suggest slight changes to the names of the other ones. Like "Fire" could be changed to "Pyro". Jamming may imply that it jams the enemy so it could be called "Jammed". Whereas "Pulsing" could be changed to just "Pulse". Maybe you could have a "worthless" tag that lowers the stats to, well worthless. And then I'm thinking something along the lines if "Ancient" but I mean in a way that it was left behind by an advanced alien civilization. Maybe "Alien?" They could be powerful weapons with unique effects. "Flawless" could reduce power cost by 2.

All of these inevitably make me think of weapons for base CE though. I think it would be pretty cool to have plasma and pulse weapons. Or alien weapons.
NonPlayableYoshi

Postby NonPlayableYoshi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 pm

a bit random but can i get a list of what ships can do acts of piracy without seeing how the crew reacts.
Captain Ace's Journey
This is the story of Ace the mantis.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:13 am

NonPlayableYoshi wrote:a bit random but can i get a list of what ships can do acts of piracy without seeing how the crew reacts.

You could probably figure it out logically, but here you go:
Piracy OK: Rock, Mantis, & Slug
Slavery OK: Mantis
Betrayal OK: Slug
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:36 am

Russian Rockman wrote:
NonPlayableYoshi wrote:a bit random but can i get a list of what ships can do acts of piracy without seeing how the crew reacts.

You could probably figure it out logically, but here you go:
Piracy OK: Rock, Mantis, & Slug
Slavery OK: Mantis
Betrayal OK: Slug

Slugs should be familiar with slavery aswell. After all, they can mess with people's brains. It'd be so cool if you had a Slug Repair Gel blue option indicating to manipulate a rescued slave into submitting to your cause willingly.

EDIT: Just unlocked the pacifist ending. I have to say, that was more epic than destroying the flagship itself! Kudos to you Sleeper.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:40 am

That would make slug ships even more OP, and nowhere in the vanilla lore is it stated that they're OK with slavery. They're fans of free capitalism.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 am

Mr. Mister wrote:That would make slug ships even more OP, and nowhere in the vanilla lore is it stated that they're OK with slavery. They're fans of free capitalism.

Like humans...
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 am

Just finished my first run run with CE infinite, done in Slug A. It was really awesome experience! I went to sector 3 normal way, then at its end, jumped into deep space. Left there for 3 sectors, blazed through 4-6 (5 was hazard sector asteroid field), got 2 deep spaces from there, rocked 7, went for another 1 deep spaces, and decided to finally give flagship some lesson, before I manage to max my ship out and feel like "cheating".

TIP: Hull Repair tool and Fuel Recycler are deep space's best friends. Especially early, when we're facing constant fuel problems (Run out of fuel twice). And those lovely free time to repair whole ship at deep space's entry sector could indeed get nerfed by possibility to meet guards there. Although it really seemed like jumping somewhere faaar away, where we have all the time in the world to fix whole ship, it's quite OP.

Indeed the whole feel is different - those "contested" sectors add a nice touch of meeting the unexpected. It's more "relaxing" - boss was a walk in the park even though i self-imposed a restriction of not touching its weapon slots. Hoever, the most demanding deep sectors were those two first after sector 3 - I think I got few ideas how to balance it more, especially later in game, where smashing every enemy single-handed while drinking tea and doing shopping list gets a little old. I've encountered some bugs, too - both "base" CE's and related to Infinite - AND got some questions. Putting all of this at the end of the post, in organized way:

Tested version: FTL Captains Edition 1.102b.ftl + CE Infinite Addon 1.0.ftl

Bugs:
CE "base":

1. Breaking truce as Slugs resets effect of enemy hacking our vessel's systems. It could be explained as fact that they've shut down their hacking device while surrendering, but it's little odd, that they don't re-activate if, after being betrayed. I haven't had chances to test if effects of player's device on enemy ships are reset, too. (Severity: Medium or "wanna be a feature").

2. If we meet slavers and have advanced teleporter, we may manage to free all slaves before fight, gaining additional crew member for 100% if succeed. Then, later in a fight, we may either get a:
a) Slaver's surrender, where they offer us a slave
b) Finish their crew, freeing one or all slaves again
c) blow them up and still get to save one slave and get him as crew-member

Even leaving alone fact, that all of those seems contradictory with freeing slaves before fight, it allows to get (especially easily, if we have a boarding type ship, which usually have teleporter lvl 2) a two crew members from that single event, + scrap. IIRC, making unable to break truce with slavers was reasoned as "unbalanced" for the same reason (and indeed, getting 2 crew+members + scrap seemed unbalanced).
(Severity: Medium)

3. Bounty hunter's ship cloaks immediately at start of the fight, even though event text stated that it just de-cloaked. It's strange, as I remember that you have fixed it already, and indeed fix was working (meet bounty hunter few times already, and it never acted like that). (Severity: Minor)

4. This slug station would love having option to attack it, pirate way ;) :
http://s28.postimg.org/c9xeee1zv/slugs_unnatacable.jpg
(Severity: Minor)

5. This dude here lacks shield bubble:
http://s2.postimg.org/q9xrbhs6v/bubleless_auto_inter.jpg

6. No engineering options here, despite having two of them in different empty beacons with same loadout:
http://s4.postimg.org/6ym9rnzrf/no_engineering.jpg
BTW, got this event in deep space sector entry IIRC (for sure "somewhere" in deep space), and event text was lying a little (entire sector *wasn't* experiencing plasma storm).

7. The asteroid-belt type hazard sector states (in event text) that rebel fleet will have trouble traveling trough this sector. Hoever, it advanced at perfectly normal rate (not reduced, like in nebula). (Severity: Medium)

CE Infinite:

1. Meeting rebel fleet at beacon exit disables possibility to jump into next deep space sector - no matter if we're at normal sector, or already in deep space. Furthermore, it doesn't show normal sector selector - just choose one of available routes randomly. Last but not least, it mitigate need of using 10 fuel cells to jump - we just jump like normal, for 1 fuel.

I really hope that this can be fixed, but if it's a moding limitation, it would love some lore-babble explaining inability to run further into deep space and, especially, the lack of high fuel cost (something about so many cruiser sized FTL fields making it easier to jump far distances?)
(Severity: |Major)

2. Upon entering last beacon of deep sector, we're *given* a free fuel cell. Is it intended, that traveling deeper into space is free? (you aren't suggesting, that we travel there at impulse engines? :shock: )

3. Rebel fleet have exactly the same delay at the start of sector in in normal ones and in deep space. Intended? If it's modding limitation, then pity, as having them advance normally in regular sectors, and start *muuuch* later in Deep Space would add nice to the feel of hiding under the rock somewhere away ;)

Suggestions:
CE "base":

1. I really loved meeting working Crystal ship in asteroid belt hazard sector and enjoyed fighting with them, especially, that I did everything to kill it's crew without destroying the vessel (which wasn't easy in my circumstance there). Thus, the effect of succeeding was a major let down - regular "killed their crew" event text, scrap reward and absolutely regular weapon. Sure, I suspected that capturing Crystal vessel won't necessary buy me a VIP entry to crystal sector ;) but something more characterized would be nice there - like, finding a CRYSTAL weapon on the board, that our chief engineer manages to successfully adapt for our ship. Especially, after seeing all those shiny crystal weapons shotting at me ;)

2. We have our lovely betraying slugs. Then, we have those (often) betraying AI ships, that sometimes join us, sometimes shot at us, sometimes give us map, and in the most irritating outcome, just shut down leaving us with nothing.

I think it would be nice, if our slimy pals could betray the betraying AI - shot it down in all of those cases, except for the one where AI join us. It could even contain same chance for being unable to break truce with AI, as during normal ship encounters ;)

CE Infinite:

1. Like other, I was shocked initially, upon seeing upgrade cost prices. Until I realized, that only their "entry" cost was increased, while further upgrades cost almost the same - increased by the same raw amount of scrap, as it was in vanilla. So, if in vanilla, lvl 3 of some system was 50 scrap more expensive than lvl2, it is still 50 more scrap expensive in Infinite.

Indeed, it hurt balance quite a lot in later sector (6, 7) - upgrading systems was very fast, and costs were not scary at all, even when doing deep sector only *once* - it's amazing, how much edge repeating a sector only once give us (we progress, enemy difficulty level does not). So, ironically, entering deep space at sector 7 was easier than doing the same at sector 3. Ironically, high level systems seemed super-cheap, while low-levels had very expensive feeling. I'm pretty sure that lack of exponential increase of upgrading cost is responsible for it.

I think that every next level of system should be more pricey using the same % formula that was used to calculate "base" price in Infinite - if the system is 4x more expensive in Infinite than in base, next level price difference should be 4x increased, too. Example:

Some system lvl 2 cost 80 scrap in vanilla, and got boosted to 320 in Infinite. Said system's lvl 3 was 40 scrao more expensive in vanilla (cost of 120 scrap), so in Infinite, price increase should be 160 scrap - making it 480 in infinite.

This would allow to *decrease* "entry" price for systems (they're quite overpriced for low levels, now), but high-level upgrades would still be challenging to get, even for seasoned deep space, truce-breaking, scrap-magnet pirates :)
---

Generic questions:

1. Have you differentiated prizes for killing enemy crew weapons as opposed to boarding (if it would it be even possible)? It may be placebo effect, but I feel like getting better rewards when exterminating enemies via Bio-beam, than when killing them in boarding operations, with my crew on their ship.

2. Is it still possible to get into Crystal sector while playing CE infinite? Also, it is possible to meet Zoltan's scientists and/or derelict crystal ship in Deep Space? I got crystal's pod in normal sector, but I'm almost sure that I meet Zoltan's scientists in Deep Space, before. If I'm correct, the most chances-boosting way of unlocking crystal ship would be to achieve crystal pod and grind Deep space 'till we meet scientist and get crystal member, then hope, that on normal sectors we will have rock ones ;)

3. I got one quarantine-like beacon in deep space - the empty one with "huge bio-hazard warning" on it. And it wasn't feeling out of place! I think that meeting quarantined planets with quarantine events in Deep Space would be a nice touch (just like in any civil sector we can meet "planet of great beauty" sending looped quarantine warnings) - after all, small outbreaks + quarantine fleets could happen in any beacons. Also, it would pose a greater risk to our crew, as we may not be prepared (Medical system lvl 2/3) for plague while traveling Deep Space.

Same apply for other "special" events, like meeting AI-avatar controlled rogue ship or even occasional small nano-cloud in the nebula out of the blue (indicating, that this sector may once become AI controlled one?), just like we meet some random regular nebulas in AI-controlled sectors ;)

Cheers,
/Estel
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 pm

// Edit
Another suggestion to Infinite - would it be possible to, somehow, allow Deep Space with enemies at difficulty level of sector 8? (not suggesting to make it continue after Boss fight, just to somehow script and allow getting as hard enemies earlier).
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Estel wrote:1. Meeting rebel fleet at beacon exit disables possibility to jump into next deep space sector - no matter if we're at normal sector, or already in deep space.

Yeah, I simply forgot to change that. Will be fixed.

Estel wrote: Upon entering last beacon of deep sector, we're *given* a free fuel cell. Is it intended, that traveling deeper into space is free? (you aren't suggesting, that we travel there at impulse engines? :shock: )

That is necessary in case you jump there with your last fuel, because this would else force you to jump to a regular sector. You need one fuel to jump to deep space, if you don't have it there is no possible event option, leaving you with a crash or an automatic event end.

Estel wrote:5. This dude here lacks shield bubble:
http://s2.postimg.org/q9xrbhs6v/bublele ... _inter.jpg

I'm still not sure what caused this, I did reset this already...

Estel wrote:BTW, got this event in deep space sector entry IIRC (for sure "somewhere" in deep space), and event text was lying a little (entire sector *wasn't* experiencing plasma storm).

7. The asteroid-belt type hazard sector states (in event text) that rebel fleet will have trouble traveling trough this sector. Hoever, it advanced at perfectly normal rate (not reduced, like in nebula). (Severity: Medium)

Yeah I'm going to take these out cause I will not start to rewrite all this events for CEI.

Estel wrote:Rebel fleet have exactly the same delay at the start of sector in in normal ones and in deep space. Intended? If it's modding limitation, then pity, as having them advance normally in regular sectors, and start *muuuch* later in Deep Space would add nice to the feel of hiding under the rock somewhere away ;)

Thats mostly for coherency. There is never any real haste anyway, cause you can always escape to deep space. I wanted to give the player a change to fully explore the regular sectors as well, having regular sectors to explore in infinite mode was often requested.

Estel wrote:1. Like other, I was shocked initially, upon seeing upgrade cost prices. Until I realized, that only their "entry" cost was increased, while further upgrades cost almost the same - increased by the same raw amount of scrap, as it was in vanilla. So, if in vanilla, lvl 3 of some system was 50 scrap more expensive than lvl2, it is still 50 more scrap expensive in Infinite.

Sounds reasonable. I just did a single test run by the way, just to see if it technically works. Exponential upgrade progression coming up in the next update.

Estel wrote:1. Have you differentiated prizes for killing enemy crew weapons as opposed to boarding (if it would it be even possible)? It may be placebo effect, but I feel like getting better rewards when exterminating enemies via Bio-beam, than when killing them in boarding operations, with my crew on their ship.

As far as I can tell, thats just your confirmed bias.

Estel wrote:2. Is it still possible to get into Crystal sector while playing CE infinite?

Nope, the deeps space sector is technically the Crystal sector. ;) You can still get crystal crewmen through the quest, but the ancient device event is disabled in CEI. It would just take you to another deep space sector anyway.

Estel wrote:. I got one quarantine-like beacon in deep space - the empty one with "huge bio-hazard warning" on it. And it wasn't feeling out of place! I think that meeting quarantined planets with quarantine events in Deep Space would be a nice touch (just like in any civil sector we can meet "planet of great beauty" sending looped quarantine warnings) - after all, small outbreaks + quarantine fleets could happen in any beacons. Also, it would pose a greater risk to our crew, as we may not be prepared (Medical system lvl 2/3) for plague while traveling Deep Space.

The problem here is that a lot of the event texts refer to what is happening in the whole sector (like the Hazard events mentioned above). Rewriting these is a lot of busy work and really boring.

Estel wrote:// Edit
Another suggestion to Infinite - would it be possible to, somehow, allow Deep Space with enemies at difficulty level of sector 8? (not suggesting to make it continue after Boss fight, just to somehow script and allow getting as hard enemies earlier).

Deep space always scales its enemies like the previous sector. So no, this is not possible, I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure jumping to deep space from sector 8 causes crashes, or at last returning to normal sectors from there would.