FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
DragonMaster2962

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b

Postby DragonMaster2962 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

DragonMaster2962 wrote:every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?

Yes. It is the only way to damage encased systems AFAIK (and of course only on shield system).
DragonMaster2962

Postby DragonMaster2962 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:
DragonMaster2962 wrote:every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?

Yes. It is the only way to damage encased systems AFAIK (and of course only on shield system).

thou what about the internal effector not working on shields?

Edit : Nvm i gusse i got unlucky cause it works now..
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Sensors lvl 3 can help a lot deciding what to effectorize. Later enemies frequently have buffer bars in shields.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am

The Captain wrote:
Estel wrote:Sorry, but "klick" comes from military slang of the Vietnam War. To me it's not sci fi at all. And "multiple-klick radius" just does not convey astronomical distances: it's like saying you don't detect anything between you and your hand in front of your face.

Low Earth orbit is 160-2000 km. 1 AU is about 149,597,871 km. Pluto's average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU. And we're still only talking within our solar system. Are you beginning to grasp just how small a klick is?

Agreed, I've sorted my facts, thanks (BTW, "klick" was used in European military slang at least 20 years before Vietnam war). Klick is 1000 meters, so "multiple-klick" radius mean radius of few kilometers - indeed it sound too short for a space vessel, even on today's real-world conventional engines, leaving fictional impulse-engines of FTL aside.

Cheers,
/Estel
spudcosmic

Postby spudcosmic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 am

Estel wrote:BTW, I loved the star wars'ish (as in original trilogy, nor prequel crap) "enlightened crew member and Zoltan monastery" quest! For a second, I thought that I'm really going to meet my former crew member before eight sector... But, even now, the "we will meet again" thing is good idea! Indeed, I keep wondering what will become of my former crew member.

/Estel

I wonder how events like this will work with AE's clone bay system. I'm pretty sure that this event, and others like it, "kills" the crew member to remove them, and I'm fairly certain that the clone bay will revive them after the event, despite the fact that they didn't really die. Nothing is certain yet, but it might make these events seems a little bit weird, but it shouldn't be a major issue.

Also, I'm wondering what use burst scatter lasers have, because to me they just seem like downgraded burst lasers. Not that anything is wrong with increasing the weapon diversity, but I feel as if they need something special about them to set them apart, so I thought of four different possible changes.
1: Reduce the power on the burst scatter II by one, making it an energy efficient way to get tons of lasers flying
everywhere
2: Give the BSI and the BSII both one more shot per charge, giving them both an edge over the normal burst lasers
3: Give burst scatter shots one shield piercing, because the multiple low energy shots easily pass though weak shields.

I hope you consider one of these ideas, because it would be pretty frightening when you see an enemy pull out a burst scatter too, rather than just laugh because of how weak it is.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:50 am

Burst scatter lasers are already more energy-efficient than normal burst (especially the frightening 4-shot burst, that can be meet in sector 2 already, if not earlier), but I agree that they could get something "more". Piercing 1 shield seems like good idea, as they're totally unable to damage systems (as opposed to rocket swarms, which have system damage only reduced).
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b [New Release: CE Infinite]

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:42 am

I'll consider that, although the scatter lasers can already wear you down pretty effectively, specially MK II. And a lot of CEs stuff already has one shield piercing...

To the topic at hand:

Well, there you go. It has been requested countless times and now it actually happened. The CE Infinite Addon is up, as you might guess it turns FTL CE into an open end sandbox game. For a long time I refrained to take this on, because I did not want to rewrite all the events. But looking at the original Infinite Space mod again I realized that this might not even be necessary. CE Infinite is a compromise, it does not completely change the game into infinite mode, but if you want to play indefinitely, then you definitely can. :D But you can also decide to pursue your mission again. By choosing to do it this way the addon remains coherent with the FTL setting and basically all the events flavour text. Well, see for yourself.

The addon is actually incredibly lightweight and barely changes anything code wise. It really just slaps together some lists and changes some key events. It will also require little updates, it will probably work with most future versions of CE. The effect on the other hand, is pretty profound. Well you might know what I mean if you played the original Infinite Space mod, so this is really nothing new, but you can come across a lot of different events in deep space and all this CE features, like trading, socializing, engineering and all that, are still there.
Feels like a whole new game and specially should appeal to players who would like a less harsh CE experience. ;)

Details on how it works, from the OP:

CE Infinite

The CE Infinite Addon lets you roam the galaxy freely. You don't have to worry much about the Rebel fleet and do what you want, but you can always decide to take on you mission again and try to get closer to Federation base whenever you like. This addon makes some pretty profound changes to how the game and CE feels, much like the original Infinite Space mod does. However it does things also a little differently.

Unlimited Contested Deep Space Sectors
CE Infinite gives you a choice at every exit beacon. Do you want to continue to roam the depth of space or do you want to pursue you mission and head towards the Federation base? If you like to, you can indefinitely travel deep space and become a powerful pirate captain, a wealthy trader, a diplomatic peace keeper or many other things.

Player Controlled Difficulty Scaling
Whenever you decide to travel towards the Federation Base at an exit beacon, you will progress one sector like in regular FTL. Enemies will get stronger, also in the adjective deep space regions. This way it is always up to you how difficult the game will get. If you grind many deep space sectors, your ship upgrades will make you a dominant force after some time. But rapidly increasing upgrade cost will also make it more difficult to progress quickly. Fight might also become little challenging. Travelling towards the Federation base on the other hand will not only increase enemy strength, but also increases scrap rewards, just like in vanilla FTL. A system no unlike that of regular open world RPGs or MMOs.

Slow Upgrade Progression
Ship upgrades generally cost much more in CE Infinite and they get exponentially more expensive. You will be forced to travel towards the Federation Base if you want increased scrap rewards to keep up with the rising costs, but if you advance to fast, enemies might overwhelm you.

Limited Rebel pursuit
With CE Infinite, the galactic conflict you are involved in is not gone. The addon just implies that it happens on a much greater scale. The Federation base is extremely far away and the events that happen while you travel there could happen during months or even years. The Rebel fleet still pursues you, but will generally catch up with you much slower. And space is limitless - There is always another fringe region you can run to, the Rebels can't look for you everywhere immediately at once.

Full CE support
All the above features of FTL Captain's Edition are also included in CE Infinite. All the gear is available to you and enemies alike. Advancing towards the Federation Base will lead you to a regular sector, it might even be one of CEs newly introduced sector types. The contested deep space sectors you can travel to will feature an extreme wide array of events, basically almost all events that are included in CE. Only very location specific events, like the ones from Quarantine or AI sectors are not included. Even trading is still possible, deep space stores will be random and only available once per sector, but there is a high chance that you can sell the goods in the next sector. The static rewards and slow fleet progression makes trading even more profitable in CE Infinite. Engineering is also more powerful, because it is much cheaper than regular ship upgrade.

Some Surprises
Even if you grinded your ship into a powerhouse, some enemies in the next sector might still be able to take you on. All enemy classes that can only appear after certain sectors have been beefed up for CE Infinite, so don't get to careless. Jumping towards the Federation base also requires a lot of fuel, providing a constant side mission for you. If you get stranded and the fleet should catch up with you after all, the the Rebels you face will be even more vicious than in standard CE. If you advance to sector 7 deep space, you will continuously face well equipped enemies. But the high scrap rewards will eventually let you max out you ship. If you want to complete you mission is still up to you then. Should you decide to travel to sector eight you will face a slightly stronger Rebel Flagship than usual.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am

Estel wrote:... (BTW, "klick" was used in European military slang at least 20 years before Vietnam war)....

Do you have a source for that? Just curious. My Oxford American English Dictionary says Vietnam. And technically 20 yrs prior would be even before WWII, with December '56 as starting date.
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b [New Release: CE Infinite 1

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:10 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: I thought Christmas was over!!! So that is the "secret" project that's been keeping you quiet for a couple of days! I can't wait to try it out. It sounds like an even better infinite space. It seems more balanced, but I imagine it works relatively the same way.

About the scatter lasers. They always just seemed different to me, not really better or worse, but I think that could make them really useful is a higher projectile doped which prevents them from being shot down by defense drones. I don't understand how you would shoot down a bunch of tiny lasers like that.. The swarms I can understand, but even they require higher tier defense drones.
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.