FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ikeelyou300

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.1

Postby ikeelyou300 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:24 am

That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for, thank you I have been conflicted over that for some time. The good thing is visually, if you connect them the way I said, like the Scarab, they already look like service shafts. :) There's no weird movement of the crew like on the Scarab though. I don't think it should be a total PITA to destroy the weapon rooms, but if you don't mind it then I guess it might be possible to do that. Basically I don't want to have boarding or only boarding based ships have an impossible time defeating the boss. I guess if you were an all boarding ship you could deal with these extra challenges, but keep that in mind. Basically, I think in FTL whatever possible play style you could possibly think of should be valid and the many lets plays of this game demonstrate that.

@ Sleeper, if you decide to do that just tell me because i already have the necessary code you don't need to do it yourself.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 am

I liked the idea to gain a temporary advantage by droping your engines and deliberately taking hits. But IMO a crystal ion weapon does not match the lore and feels quite out of place. The crystals are obviously relying solely on their physical projectile weapons and their shield piercing.

Well, those crystals in particular are (electrically) charged WITH THE WRATH OF YOUR SHIP'S VERY SOUL. If they only have shield piercing of 1, then they will only deal hull/system damage when the enemy has only one shield bubble, just like in vanilla vengeance, but with the added effect that they will deploy one shield layer for 10 seconds. This would mean that if the Baravais finds a single-shot (non-artillery) 1-power laser in the early sectors, it can use it to deal targeted damage if it waits for a crystal vengeance to ionize the shields (against 1-shield enemies), or against later 2-shield enemies, use it just before a crystal vengeance shard to deploy one shield bubble and let the crystal shard pierce. Against multi-shielded opponents, the Crystal vengeance would behave like a simple ion projectyle, except it can be intercepted by tier 1 defense drones. I think the ion damage would balance very nicely, you would just have to change the descrition to fit the wrath thingui (one type of real-world crystal formations are, after all, ion crystals).

Also you should probably release a 1.1b just to fix the rock sector crash.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00 am

ikeelyou300 wrote: I guess if you were an all boarding ship you could deal with these extra challenges, but keep that in mind. Basically, I think in FTL whatever possible play style you could possibly think of should be valid and the many lets plays of this game demonstrate that.

@ Sleeper, if you decide to do that just tell me because i already have the necessary code you don't need to do it yourself.

Hm I was sure that drones are disabled in phase one. Phase one feels pretty strong allready. This could set phase two apart nicely, although it would have the flagship loose another drone... Still, if you want you can send me the these blueprints. I'll have a look...

Mr. Mister wrote:Against multi-shielded opponents, the Crystal vengeance would behave like a simple ion projectile, except it can be intercepted by tier 1 defense drones.

Weapons that have ion damage assigned cant pierce shield. So unless the enemy shields are down, the shard will always work like a regular ion weapon.

Right now the shard deals two damage and pieces all shields. It will probably gain full breach chance next update. It's still not very good, but should be able to destroy ships that are capable of dealing heavy damage to you, as long as they have no defence drone.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 am

I say put at least a recon drone on the phase one. Just so drone control doesn't sit there completely useless.
Last edited by Mr. Mister on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

You saw what I said about the ion beams right? Mr. Mister's idea of an ion focus beam might work, but it still seems out of place to me in retrospect. Regardless if you want to test it out yourself do what I did.

Sleeper Service wrote:Hm I was sure that drones are disabled in phase one. Phase one feels pretty strong allready. This could set phase two apart nicely, although it would have the flagship loose another drone... Still, if you want you can send me the these blueprints. I'll have a look...

Yeah I said like a gazillion times that the Boss can use drones on phase 1 & 3 (if you move the room to the center). if you wanted to give it an AP drone on the 2nd phase you could replace the Boarding drone because a lot of Boarding is now happening in Phase 3. The Boss doesn't really need an AP drone on the 2nd or 3rd phase anyway, well maybe the 2nd phase. I'll send you the blueprints anyway, you can just PM me your thoughts if you want. I'll probably Dropbox some stuff.

Mr. Mister wrote:I say put at least a recon drone on the phase one. Just so drone control doesn't sit there completely useless.

I actually kind of agree with this statement. Perhaps you should give a recon drone to every ship with the PDS artillery targeting event. Then anytime you saw that drone you'd associate it with artillery and know what coming on the flagship's first stage if it wasn't clear enough in the text. Or a different kind of drone, I would actually really like a drone or weapon that can only be acquired after you've made it to the Last Stand which allows YOU to flag targets for he Federation fleet. it might not be useful though because it would take up a weapon or drone slot...

Sleeper Service wrote:
Mr. Mister wrote:Against multi-shielded opponents, the Crystal vengeance would behave like a simple ion projectile, except it can be intercepted by tier 1 defense drones.

Weapons that have ion damage assigned cant pierce shield. So unless the enemy shields are down, the shard will always work like a regular ion weapon.

Right now the shard deals two damage and pieces all shields. It will probably gain full breach chance next update. It's still not very good, but should be able to destroy ships that are capable of dealing heavy damage to you, as long as they have no defence drone.

OOOH maybe that's why you don't want to do this. I tested it and ion "missiles" with shield piercing DO pierce all shields AND ionize both the shield (ion damage applied only once) and the system they hit, and/or they can still damage it. Even with 5 shield piercing, so does that make you reconsider the ion crystal thing. I like the INFUSED WITH THE VENGEANCE OF YOUR SHIP's SOUL THING. :p. It's a shame you can't make it shoot more projectiles, but this might make the Aug more worth it. Perhaps you could also make it "Lasers" instead or "Missiles" class so Tier 1 Defense drones can't shoot it down. It could be they can't target it because of the ionic energy or something.
Last edited by ikeelyou300 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:26 am

Wrong. I just tested, and a weapon with 1 damage, 1 ion and 1 piercing will, if the enemy has 2 or more shield bubbles, act like a normal 1 ion projectyle, but if the enemy has only one shield bubble (be it lv2 or ionised lv3), it will inflict one ion to shields (unless shields were already down), pierce through, and inflict 1 hull, 1 system and 1 ion to whatever room it lands on (so if it lands on shields, it will have inflicted a total of 2 ion damage to shields).

Additionally, it seems that wean a projectyle with normal system damage and ion damage lands on a system room, it inflicts the system damage first and then the ion damage, unlike what I recall from when the heavy ion MkII and MkIII land on the shield bubbles, where they inflict ion damage first and then system damage. Very interesting, as it means that those weapons are more dangerous when they hit the shields room than when they hit the shield bubble.

So it would be worthile to have 1-damage, 1-pierce and 1-ion vengeance shards. I mean, there is no vanilla text explaining why vengeance shards are the only ones to pierce all shields either, and having them do so AND 2 hull damage would make boarding very dangerous even endgame. With only 1 pierce, you can be sure your boarders are safe on the enemy ship as long as you don't assist your shards with your own weapons.

As I said, this makes weapons and drones with both ion and shield piercing too overpowered. However, something like the Crystal Vengeance, which can't be targeted and requires you to take damage, would compensate for such power it its burdens. Will you take the risk of getting hit 3 consecutive times in order to deploy two enemy shield bubbles?

Ikee: sadly, the targeting drone for the player is a bad idea. Bomb weapons don't work on drones, so tier 2 drones would intercept it.

EDIT: I messed up my second paragraph, read it again.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 am

Mr. Mister wrote:Ikee: sadly, the targeting drone for the player is a bad idea. Bomb weapons don't work on drones, so tier 2 drones would intercept it.

We'll it could be a weapon too. You're right drones can't use bombs. It's just an idea, there's many things wrong with it, like how the hell would you get it in the Last Stand and would it be worth it to replace one of your weapons. Probably not no matter how cool it would be.

I like what your saying about the Ion Crystal getting rid of 2 whole shield bubbles. And I get what you're saying about it only piercing 1 shield to protect your boarders. I don feel like it should pierce all 4 shields and do both physical and ion damage though, but only 2 ion damage. We'd have to see how it worked on the Boss mainly.

Ok not to distract from what I said above, but are you ready for some weird stuff?...
So since I'm a stubborn bastard I kept testing the eventList/unique text thing and it worked, but it didn't work, but it did. Here's what happened:

Yeah, I'm using windows on a partition of my Mac so if you see the weird keyboard thing it's how I have to take a screenshot... Anyway, so I made an eventList with 2 events like I said before. What is crazy is that instead of calling the unique even which I gave a %90 probability it called the %10 probability non-unique event the majority of the time after repeated testing. After calling that event the option to talk to your Crystal,which I put in just to test it, turned grey and could never be used again. The 2 images were taken in different sectors so it was permanently stuck like that. Something even weirder is the one time it did call the unique event after about 5 tries it allowed me to choose the option still, but then it chose the non-unique one and again it turned grey for the remainder of the game. It was really strange... I didn't expect that to happen.

When I tested this at first I did this with the Final Boss on the event after you beat it in the 1st and 2nd sectors and it worked fine, like consistently I've kept the Final boss that way for months. I changed the event to an eventList which could load 2 other new events. I was able to make the results after defeating the Boss different both times. I was trying to see if an Engi and Federation ship could come help you afterwords by repairing your ship event, giving you a Crewmember, or giving you ammunition, etc... I was able to do this just fine, the Federation ship usually appears first and then the a Engi one.

Anyway so I'm not sure this information will actually help anyone, but It was so weird I had to post it.
Last edited by ikeelyou300 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:45 am

Nope, images ain't working. You're better off putting them in imgur.
_Leguan12_

Postby _Leguan12_ » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 am

Drones can't use bombs but lasers.
It's therotical possible to create a laserweapon that acts as Bomb ;)
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 am

Mr. Mister wrote:Nope, images ain't working. You're better off putting them in imgur.

Are you sure? I can see them.