[Modding] Multiplayer

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
mohandar881

Re: [Modding] Multiplayer

Postby mohandar881 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 am

FTL multiplayer should have several sectors like "Federation Capital" or "Mantis Homeworlds" 2 of each race controlled sectors i.e. 2 mantis controlled sectors and 1 Mantis homeworlds. A certain number of people can hang out on one beacon i.e. 16. There should be a trading mode, no crew limit, no power bar or system power limit (Though the prices get really expensive) and if your ship gets destroyed, then you start from the ships you unlock.

The problem is...mods, how are they going to work on a server? Should the server have a mods database so certain mods are usable? Or should everyone stick with the default ships?

Another problem is how is this going to work? Who is going to host the servers?

Good luck to all you modders!
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu May 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Way to raise a dead thread.
If you want multiplayer, go look at Overdrive, that's the -only- realistic solution.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
shark

Postby shark » Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 pm

No, the problem is telling the game that you are running a server somewhere and that it is not only expected to communicate with this server, but also understand the feedback it gets from it and display it properly.

In other words, the problem is in how the game was made from the start not to include this functionality.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Okay, I might be able to make this game from scratch and incorporate multiplayer into it. It would most likely only be 2 player and maybe only over LAN but I see it as entirely possible..
Developer of FTL:Multispace
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 pm

Blooperluigi wrote:Okay, I might be able to make this game from scratch and incorporate multiplayer into it. It would most likely only be 2 player and maybe only over LAN but I see it as entirely possible..

If you're seriously going to take a stab at this, instead of re-inventing the wheel you should look into the mod that was attempted here about a year ago. I sadly cannot remember the name. They were rewriting it using open source standards with the express goal of it being as moddable as possible.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 am

That would be Overdrive.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Here's a cool idea: Try creating a 'seed' system for the generation of the FTL jump maps or otherwise sync them, and see who can get to the end first.
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 pm

If you're seriously going to take a stab at this, instead of re-inventing the wheel you should look into the mod that was attempted here about a year ago. I sadly cannot remember the name. They were rewriting it using open source standards with the express goal of it being as moddable as possible.

I'll take a look at it thanks ;D the thing is that I don't want to get into any legal trouble for 'cloning' FTL so to speak. If people want me to take a whack at this then I will :P everything is more fun if you can do it with friends XD
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's a cool idea: Try creating a 'seed' system for the generation of the FTL jump maps or otherwise sync them, and see who can get to the end first.

Thanks for the idea buddy :D its cool to know that other people have thought about this too :)
leopardenthusiast

Postby leopardenthusiast » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Mister Sammy wrote:An idea I always had is that one person controls the player ship, and the other takes every AI ship that the player battles.

If you mean that the second player controls every ship that isn't the nine (plus secondary layouts) ships you can have in the stock game, this could never be fun, if it was even playable for the first player. Why? Because the NPC AI is incredibly stupid - it does things like firing beams without taking shields down, firing at entirely empty rooms with anti-personnel weapons that do no hull damage, firing weapons the moment they're finished charging, and other silly mistakes.

In my experience, on easy, the first ships you'll see have around eight hull points with a shield, maybe two if you're unlucky. I don't know about normal, as I don't play normal, but if all of the first few ships had good volley control, I doubt anywhere near as many people would've left the first sector.

EDIT: woo look at me used to much more active forums

go me for looking at that timestamp

but the point still stands