Teleportation SUCKS! Boarding shuttles! Crew upgrades! An...

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Teleportation SUCKS! Boarding shuttles! Crew upgrades! A

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Chamber of Immortality was a joke. It's the MedBay of course, there your crew is healed and the enemy is not, so you have an advantage. It's not cheaty at all because your crew must leave their stations and your ship will take a beating. Forcing the enemy there requires venting, which can result in disaster if you suffer unlucky system damage.

Systems do things and you need them for some reason, a cargo bay is just space to keep stuff in so it can be any room or place on the ship. It has no gameplay effect.

Floorplans and shields are both images, nothing else. You draw the image, it's as simple as that. No generator needed. Load a ship image, and draw a new image on top of it. Personally i like to use rectangles and position them where the rooms are until i get a rough outline of the ship, then touch it up until it looks presentable.
It's completely beyond my imagination why anyone would consider an automated tool for something that can be drawn easily using lines and rectangles. Having 0 experience with drawing programs makes it harder to start, but it's something that is trivially easy to learn, just tedious to make.

Here is a WIP image of my Magma Marauder. You can see the ship image, above it is the shield ellipse (circle in this case) and on top of that is a layer of rectangles that make up ships rooms. The cyan background is there just to hold things in correct position. System designations are for my reference when writing rooms and doors, and fiddling with blueprints.
layz.png

A ship floorplan is really just an image of the room outline, nothing else is needed. Making one is a matter of correctly placing rectangles, and adding the outline. The outline then represents the outer "walls" of the rooms. FTL will draw inner "walls" itself and add all the system images.

Here is a shield image making tutorial i made a while ago. Not the best tutorial because i messed up a few things, but follow it and you will have an image in 10-15 minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/frumple1/b/466220825

As for the rest of your post, the Flagship is a special case ship, it's 99% hardcoded and doesn't work like normal player or enemy ship. All rougelikes are diffrent, most feature permadeath but each deals with it in it's own way.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Zen

Postby Zen » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm

You need a trainer, don't you...
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Zen wrote:You need a trainer, don't you...

lolwut
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Just to say, when I say teleportation is cheaty, it's not about what you can do with it. Its about the idea of teleportation itself. Thank you! :mrgreen:
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 am

wolfboyft wrote:Just to say, when I say teleportation is cheaty, it's not about what you can do with it. Its about the idea of teleportation itself. Thank you! :mrgreen:

Thank you, Captain Obvious.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 am

CrashSanders wrote:
wolfboyft wrote:Just to say, when I say teleportation is cheaty, it's not about what you can do with it. Its about the idea of teleportation itself. Thank you! :mrgreen:

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

wtf!?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:05 am

can someone please make a mod that replaces the teleportation system for wolfboyft?

If it is done via boarding shuttle...

-Defence drones will kill you.
-You will likely have a 'miss' chance (and your crew will drift into the darkness of space)
-you got no method to return back to ship (no one tell him what happens if you can't return due to damage ship)
-you will likely take up some sort of resource because a shuttle doesn't come out of no where and desposes itself like nothing, most likely will take ammo.

How to defend against boarders?

I never found an issue with boarders, even mantis or rock boarders.

- air locks
- med bay
- heal bomb
- small/ breach/ fire bomb (small bomb will prevent hull damage by making the fighting damage irrelevant, also will damage them, breach/ fire for obvious reason but fire is risky)
- AP drones
- fighting them yourself maybe?
- engi med bots.

Boarders are EASY to deal with and teleportation is not cheaty in any concept.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 am

R4V3-0N wrote:can someone please make a mod that replaces the teleportation system for wolfboyft?

Me: yes! Thank you!

Boarders are EASY to deal with and teleportation is not cheaty in any concept.

Me: not about how hard it is or if its OP, for me, cheaty defines something that can remove the entire point of a game. Why do you have a ship if you can just teleport over to the fed hq?

Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Actually, I believe there is a way to break all of a certain system in the game, I seem to recall some mod that did it for cloak, you could probably easily change it to break teleporters. (still have to live with bombs)

wolfboyft wrote:not about how hard it is or if its OP, for me, cheaty defines something that can remove the entire point of a game. Why do you have a ship if you can just teleport over to the fed hq?

Much too far. You are traveling faster than light between every beacon, consuming roughly 64 units of fuel at bare minimum to get to the last Federation Fleet, I don't think the max of 3 power bars is gonna cut it.

Also, teleportation is theoretically possible. Go read "The Physics of Star Trek" for more detailed info.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Diet Water wrote:Actually, I believe there is a way to break all of a certain system in the game, I seem to recall some mod that did it for cloak, you could probably easily change it to break teleporters. (still have to live with bombs)

wolfboyft wrote:not about how hard it is or if its OP, for me, cheaty defines something that can remove the entire point of a game. Why do you have a ship if you can just teleport over to the fed hq?

Much too far. You are traveling faster than light between every beacon, consuming roughly 64 units of fuel at bare minimum to get to the last Federation Fleet, I don't think the max of 3 power bars is gonna cut it.

Also, teleportation is theoretically possible. Go read "The Physics of Star Trek" for more detailed info.

D: NOOOOOOO