[MOD][WIP]Ship Greeble Graphics Mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
LordTrilobite

[MOD][WIP]Ship Greeble Graphics Mod

Postby LordTrilobite » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am

Made an account on this forum for this.

I love this game. It's really awesome.
But I didn't much like the way the ship interiors are sort of placed on top of the ships. So I made a quick test for a different look, I edited the underlay that is visible around the rooms so now it. So now it looks more like an actual cutaway rather than the interior being pasted on top. I might make more of this.

So I was wondering if people would want to see more of this, if so I might put it online after I make more details for the other ships as well.
Last edited by LordTrilobite on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image - Image
Kieve

Re: Ship Graphics

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:58 am

This is one of those things that feels like such a simple mod, and yet so wonderful. Please, continue :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 am

I think this kind of thing would be impossible to mod. Those rooms have 4 places to stand in and you've covered one of them with hull. Unless you're talking about making the rooms L-shaped which is also - as far as I can tell - impossible. Not trying to discourage you, but you should probably concentrate on making sure you can do what you want to do before spending much time on the design phase.

But I'd love to take the Kestrel for a spin! :)

Or wait, am I looking at this wrong? Are you showing just the lines inside rooms and not showing the interior walls? That actually looks like the normal Kestrel layout now that I look at it that way. Are you just removing the corners of the floor graphics? They annoy me too, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't tell that was what you were going for by the first post.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
LordTrilobite

Postby LordTrilobite » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am

Oh it's definitely possible. All I'm doing is editing one file, the file that shows the edges of the floor plan of each ship. Each different layout and ship has a different file, so that's not a problem.

I suppose the change is subtle enough. I'll attach the original unedited look for comparison here so you guys can see exactly what I've changed. For the OP I added in the actual hull of the ship as well so it's easier to see how it will look ingame.
Image - Image
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah, I approve :)

I actually leave the floor image off of my ships (or more technically, the floor image is a copy of the hull image) for a similar reason. I've never actually looked at the floor images from the game so had never seen the superimposed room layout, and so didn't know what those lines meant :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Kieve wrote:This is one of those things that feels like such a simple mod, and yet so wonderful. Please, continue :D

That's exactly like I see it. There was one ship mod once that did this for a custom ship, but it would be great to see a full set of these for all the Player ships, maybe with different styles for the different factions? You could get inspiration from the gibts of the ships, even splice the stuff right out of them. Each factions ships seem to have quite distinct looking insides.

And... :roll: If you want to get this stuff into Captains Edition, I'd be happy to take it on board. Full credit for you of course.

Keep up the sweet work!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 pm

But i wonder how u will do to make the defaul room design not to appear instead of your custom design. As someone said, wat u want to do is not possible. U can design custom interior rooms, and custom floor layout, but u cant design the basic room structure, it will always show the black square around the rooms, if you know what i mean. In fact, i assume a lot of people in the beginning tried to do this as well, but since its not possible, nobody tried again.

Or maybe i am missing something and its possible to replace basic room design??? :o :o :o :o :o :shock:
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 pm

As far as I got it this the mod modifies the _floor.png image. That's a stand custom image for each player ship that matches the room layout and can be modified just like every other part of the ship image. Room layout is put on top of that for player ships ingame.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:As far as I got it this the mod modifies the _floor.png image. That's a stand custom image for each player ship that matches the room layout and can be modified just like every other part of the ship image. Room layout is put on top of that for player ships ingame.

So, i was right, the mod is modifying the floor image, not the rooms design. Then, of course it is possible, but i dont see the point on it, since the borders of the rooms (the most important thing in mods like this one) will still be there, no matter if you modify the room floor image. Thats the reason u will not see almost any mod similar to this. Be aware, the floor image is placed between the room layout and the hull image, so you will not be able to mod the floor too much ;)
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:47 pm

speedoflight wrote:...but i dont see the point on it...

The point is that instead of a flat gray border around the rooms, it provides a cutaway view of the ship, so instead of looking like the room layout is just pasted over the ship, they actually seem to fit within it. Personally I think it's brilliant and something FTL should've had from the beginning. Will definitely look into doing this with my Incursion vessels, when I get around to it.

LordTrilobite, please, continue with the rest of the ships :D And I second Sleeper's suggestion, they'd make a fine addition to the rest of CE (which for all intents and purposes has basically become an unofficial FTL Expansion Pack).