Nominate your favourite mods for FTL

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Nominate your favourite mods for FTL

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:25 am

FTL has lots of mods, and there's a long list of them in the Master Mod List thread started a long time ago by marksteele. One thing that's lacking is a top list of best mods out there voted by the community. So let's fix that.

Everyone is invitited to nominate their favourite mods. Nominate as many as you like but keep in mind that we're looking for the best of the best. If you like you can write a little (or a lot) about why you think this mod is great.

After enough mods are submitted, the ten most nominated will be added to a poll. The results of the poll will form the top ten list of mods every fan of FTL should play (or words to that effect).

WIP mods are okay if they're at least playable.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DryEagle

Re: Nominate your favourite mods for FTL

Postby DryEagle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am

I shamelessly nominate Descent into Darkness. A lot of attention and time went into its creation, and it did things no other mod did - let you build a ship of your choosing, ingame, for a unique experience every playthrough. Also had pretty menus and stuff :D
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:06 am

I'll write up my thoughts later, but you really should make the distinction between mods and alternate ships quick. There are way more ships than mods that do more or other stuff. A separate contest for alternate ships would be good. (Assuming we get enough people to voice their opinions. How many silent guests do we have?)
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:19 am

I agree with both things said so far. DiD should be on the list, and throwing all mods into one big pile may cause some bad feelings in the community.

Note: Not from me. I don't mind losing out to 10 awesome conversion-type mods. And I understand the appeal of a simple "10 best mods" post enough to be okay with keeping it just like this.

I'll look through and make nominations later, it's getting a bit late :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:55 am

The Captain's Edition, of course! ^^
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:33 am

I've thought about dividing the mods but i can't predict the feedback. There's also the issue of using several mods at once for a different experience. The difference between ship mods and balance mods isn't that huge because many ships come with unique weapons or feature weapons or drones from other mods.

We could have another vote for the best single ship but what i wanted to suggest is that we create a top list of the best made, most fun, and most finely crafted and balanced mods, whatever they may be. Of course it's allways subjective but it's nice to present a selection of top-notch works that stand out.

BTW, i'm not sure what would cause hurt feeling among modders. Certain mods (infinite space, hi-res background, etc.) get praised quite often so let's highlight the better made ones.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
OneLastBattle

Postby OneLastBattle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:19 pm

The Captain's Edition
Infinite Space
Strange New Galaxy
Nevill

Postby Nevill » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:30 pm

The best mods are the ones you regularly play with. So, for me, the list is as follows:

Graphics mods: Highres Backgrounds or Better Planets and Backgrounds, depending on how close to the original you want the game to feel; Diversity mod (but only the graphical part).

FTL-Additional-Events-and-Texts, as minor as it might be, because everyone loves events.

New Enemy classes and Balansed arsenal (some very good ideas went into these ones). Drones Plus get an honorable mention.

SC2 Ships are fun to play with once in a while, too.

Total conversion mods do not work for me for some reason. I often find myself disagreeing with the author's decisions on how the game is supposed to be played. Out of what I've seen, The Foundation of the Federation looks the most promising so far, but it is only a WIP.
madhatter

Postby madhatter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd like to nominate descent into darkness and the obsidian cruiser.
For me these two mods opened up a whole new way to enjoy ftl, beacuse they inspired me to start modding and by taking a look inside their respective ftl files I learned enough to create my first mod :)
ImageImage
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Captains Edition. I had over 100 hours of FTL. I had played dozens of mods. I was getting bored because I knew normal FTL too well. I have almost every ship, weapon, and event memorized from the normal game simply from playing it too much. I tried using a few smaller weapon and event mods, but even together they added very little. And then Sleeper Service started assembling what would become Captain's Edition, and I've been using his mods in almost every run since. Captain's Edition is FTL with more FTL in it. Not only do you as a player get tons more weapons and drones to play with, but enemy ships come in way more varied configurations, which basically makes combat more fun. Many new events and bluetext for new equipment can keep more surprises coming. And unlike many other total conversion mods, you can still play with your favorite modded player ships. Also, Sleeper Service says he might break up the components of Captains Edition into separate smaller mods, which means more options for those who only want to use some parts of t.

Descent into Darkness is a classic forever. If you were to only try a single FTL mod, than Descent into Darkness is the only choice. It is inevitable that this mod will be number one. Nothing anyone will say could possibly stop its ascension.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!