[Spoiler] FTL Profile/SavedGame Editor v27 (2018-01-12)

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Vhati

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Editor v15 - Unlock ships, Edit SavedGames

Postby Vhati » Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 pm

TheFurryOne wrote:So, I have a problem, I want to edit my crew and ship and all that after I've left the hanger, but when I try to load "continue.sav" it says "Error reading profile: Inital int (assumed to be file format version) not expected value :2" what do I do?
The editor can modify profiles OR savedgames. There's a tab for each at the top.

Switch to the "Saved Game" tab, then Click "Open" to modify continue.sav.
Vhati

Re: [Spoiler] FTL Editor v16 - Unlock ships, Edit SavedGames

Postby Vhati » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:05 am

v16 has been released:
Added profile high score editing.
Lexxiconn

Postby Lexxiconn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:54 am

Installed the editor and it starts up eventually, but the screen comes up with only FTL Profile Editor V16 "splash screen" with buttons Extract Dats, About and Updates. These buttons can be pressed but do nothing till I do the following...

If I go into net.blerf.ftl.fltprofileeditor main screen (main menu options for this app) and hit 'services' an appropriate sub screen sort of appears but I can not change focus (get into) the sub screen, and depending on which one it is it can hang the whole app.

Is it possible its a permissions problem on Macs? Java is fully up to date. Tried running with previous version of Java and would not start at all so Javalaucher 13.9.7 does start it but the screens dont work. Checked the FTL Version and it is 103.3.

I am on Pro Imac
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Lexxiconn wrote:the screen comes up with only FTL Profile Editor V16 "splash screen" with buttons Extract Dats, About and Updates. These buttons can be pressed but do nothing
There is no "splash screen" (wikipedia).
This is what the window should look like when it first appears.
FTLEditor_v16.png

Please reply with "ftl-profile-editor.log" attached*.
* When you're composing the reply, look below the draft, preview, submit buttons.

Lexxiconn wrote:If I go into net.blerf.ftl.fltprofileeditor main screen (main menu options for this app) and hit 'services' an appropriate sub screen sort of appears but I can not change focus (get into) the sub screen, and depending on which one it is it can hang the whole app.
I don't understand any of that.
The editor has no menu (at least not one that'd that would drop down), and nothing called "services".

Lexxiconn wrote:Is it possible its a permissions problem on Macs?
The only files that would be modified are the savedgame and profile, which are both user-owned.

Lexxiconn wrote:Javalaucher 13.9.7 does start it but the screens dont work.
Try opening a terminal and running:
cd "/wherever/the/editor/is/"
java -jar FTLProfileEditor-v16.jar
RaiseoHitsu

Postby RaiseoHitsu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello!
I would like to use your tool, unfortunately, even after reading all the 6 pages I couldn't find out why it doesn't work.
When I try to open it with Java it says that it's impossible to start the application (something along those lines anyway).
I suppose this is the part that interests you :

Code: Select all

MissingFieldException[ Il seguente campo obbligatorio non è contenuto nel file di avvio: <jnlp>]
   at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

When I try to run it from dos writing "java -jar FTLProfileEditor-v16.jar" it says that it's unable to access the .jar file.
Thank you for your help ^^

EDIT:
Then again, I used the tool you gave that guy in page 2, the one that searchs for Java, it said my java is installed and created an emergency.bat that worked!
I was finally able to unlock those 2 last ships! (Crystal and Mantis)
Oh god I was so sick of every ship using teleporter and lvl 2 medbay and never encountering that bastard (I have 100+ hours logged on FTL).
Thank you very much, neat coding skills.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:49 pm

RaiseoHitsu wrote:When I try to open it with Java it says that it's impossible to start the application (something along those lines anyway).
I suppose this is the part that interests you :

Code: Select all

MissingFieldException[ Il seguente campo obbligatorio non è contenuto nel file di avvio: <jnlp>]
  at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
Ah. Java Web Start (javaws) tried to handle it when you double-clicked.
This tool says it'll clear up *.jar associations.

Tool: Jarfix

RaiseoHitsu wrote:EDIT: Then again, I used the tool you gave that guy in page 1, the one that searches for Java, it said my java is installed and created an emergency.bat that worked!
Glad to hear it. :)

RaiseoHitsu wrote:When I try to run it from dos writing "java -jar FTLProfileEditor-v16.jar" it says that it's unable to access the .jar file.
That error can occur if you aren't in the same directory as the jar at the time, hence java can't find it.
"FTLEditor_Emergency.bat" is running that same command, but from the right location.
iceburg333

FTL Editor v16 - Questions from an excited noob

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey Vhati!
First off, the profile/save editor you and ComaToes have made is awesome. While I'm still trying to beat the game without cheating (and so haven't used your editor for actual playing), I have used it to create OP ships to test with as I edit the game's XML files and I have to say the program is really well done!
My name is Iceburg, I'm a modder for Skyrim. My mods can be found here, and I have a facebook page here. Skyrim's programming language is very similar to Java, albeit simpler and less complete.

I found FTL on a summer sale and It's captured my imagination. I've poured over the XML files and read through Captain Shooby's thread, as well as every FTL modding guide I've found. I have ideas for mods, but I realized I couldn't complete them (or really even start them) without mod tools (Please Subset!) or learning some legit programming languages. I have a number of Ideas I could implement just by using the XML and save manipulation, and so when I saw your source code was available and that you were able to edit savegames using Java, I googled for Java tutorials. I found a excellent series of tutorials on Java with Eclipse (a program I am familiar with), and have started going through them. I've worked through the Total Beginner's tutorial (3 3/4 hours of screencast) as well as most of the persistance tutorial (3 hours of screencast). At this point I understand the basics of Java as well as how to save files and retrieve data from them, though I still feel pretty much like a noob.

Anyhow, I've imported your source into Eclipse and was looking through the compile errors I got. My first question is to where I could find the apache package/jar so that those imports won't fail. Would that be found inside an apache server install? (I used to have that installed, I'll re install it).
Edit: Found a org.apache.commons.logging package at the Apache Commons, but that's not an exact match for import org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager;...
Edit2: I found log4j-1.2.17 on the Apache Commons page, and installed Eclipse Indigo so that Maven (never heard of it before) updated, and now my compile errors are gone; I just have some warnings. Yay! :D

My second question had to do with legality, of which I am a total noob. I see that the source code is available, and while I'm excited to look through it and learn from it, I am fiercely paranoid that other people will steal my work, and consequently, fiercely committed to not stealing other people's work. How does using your code as a base for code I would like to write work? I basically want to make a program that edit's the ship (a hanger bay) where you can use items like blue prints to edit or craft a ship: have 30 scrap and a warp core, you can make a Kestrel. Can I use your classes and methods to read and save the save files if I credit you and ComaToes, (and make my mod/program have the source code available), or is that bad? Basically, how does this sort of thing work/ what would your wishes be? (If I ever get good enough to do anything like that...) :D

Sorry for rambling. I'm very excited about this, and I've been having a blast learning java. I really appreciate the program you guys have made and how you've made it open source so people like me can read it! (and maybe some day contribute to it!)
Thanks!
Iceburg

ps. While I wait to hear from you, I'll continue working through the Java tutorials, as well as try to comb through the source in eclipse and see how much I can understand.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:56 pm

iceburg333 wrote:The post seems to post, but is deleted within an hour or so.
Am I not allowed to post URLs?

Thread: Forum restrictions for new users

When a new topic or post is made, it will be checked by an automated system. If it is made by a user belonging to the new users group, contains links, or is otherwise suspected as spam, it will not appear on the forum. Instead it will be sent to a moderation queue where it will stay until a forum moderator approves it, or in cases of spam rejects the post. Except for the involvement of a human moderator, the process is automated and impersonal.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks Vhati!
Your post + the link exactly answered my problem. I guess I'll just wait until the post shows up then. Thank you. :D
Ice

EDIT: My post has come through, along with a bunch of other test posts (hopefully a mod will delete them, sorry about that). Small update, I was able to find the proper jar file and installed eclipse indigo (which integrates with Maven) and so was able to remove the compiler errors from the source code. I'm hoping to spend more time looking through the code later this week.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:14 am

iceburg333 wrote:My first question is to where I could find the apache package/jar so that those imports won't fail.
Maven manages compiling but also serves as a package manager of sorts. It automatically downloads libraries from repositories to meet project dependencies, so you don't have to scour the net.

I hadn't played with maven either before this project, but IIRC, all I had to do was install maven, open a prompt, cd to the project's dir, and run "mvn clean" then "mvn package". XML tells maven all it needs to know.

I assume Eclipse's maven plugin does something comparable, but I'm unfamiliar with that IDE.

Tip: After I got the source off github, I made a copy of the project directory to do all my tinkering and compiling in. When I was satisfied, I used WinMerge to copy the important changes into the original github folder for committing.

iceburg333 wrote:Can I use your classes and methods to read and save the save files if I credit you and ComaToes, (and make my mod/program have the source code available)
Sure. Have fun. :)
I hadn't designed the classes to be usable as an independent library, but they were intended to be a useful demonstration/documentation for other coders.

A lot of neat Java snippets in there, too. I guess if you lift entire class files, you can add a comment at the top about where you found them, but feel free to copy/port/paraphrase/mangle anything you want.

This was the first time I'd used JAXB to map XML to custom java objects. Viewing XML processing as deserialization was a little weird after being used to JDOM's tree of Elements. ;)