[SHIP] The Capital Cruiser (Updated for Adv. Editon)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

[SHIP] The Capital Cruiser (Updated for Adv. Editon)

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:24 pm

From the guy who pieced together the leftover parts that made up the animated Artillery Beam comes... well, it's this cliché'd mod again. Only this time, expect to have to put some effort into flying her.

NOTE: This ship, by default, replaces the Crystal Cruiser.

The Capital Cruiser (Type A) - The Imposter
My original vision of a Flagship mod, complete with Federation colourscheme. She comes equipped with a wide variety of weaponry with which to choose from and pick off any foe that stands in your way. With a laser, beam, ion and missile weapon in hand, it forms the simple foundation of most weapon-based strategies and allows you to build upon them. However, regardless of its blast doors, the lack of starting crew and any form of venting will make dealing with damage particularly challenging. Such is the way of flying the very weakness of the Rebel Fleet.

The Capital Cruiser (Type B) - The Paradox
While I was sat there with the custom colourscheme for the flagship I decided to make a Type B from the actual Rebel colours. In the spirit of the ship that it replaces by default, it starts with every single subsystem already installed and ready to be useful, to some capacity (Weapons start at Lv2 but the Drone controls are only Lv1). Naturally it has its own issues, namely the lack of any form of direct damage, with the only form of offensive capability coming from a two-man teleporter and a quartet of hapless Humans. At the very least the Lv2 Sensors will let you see what you're getting into, but expert boarding tactics will be key to your success. The other weaknesses to mention include a reactor that'll struggle to keep everything running from the get-go, as well as the (again) lack of any venting and additional lack of blast doors.

Here's hoping my understanding of balance in this game is enough to have created an enjoyable experience for you guys. Now go out there and take down the weakness of the Rebel Fleet with itself!

UPDATE: After a bit of mulling over in my mind about the way ion storms affected certain vanilla ships (particularly the unique way you wield EngiA), I was reminded at at only 6 power, CapitalB would become completely unplayable if it was to encounter one. So it was altered to have 7 power instead of 6, to make it slightly less frustrating. I am still open to feedback on how powerful this ship is on the whole since my aim was to make a cruiser that was fair in game balance.

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR ADVANCED EDITION (Dropbox):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab7emdf4g857hs6/Ship%20-%20The%20Capital%20Cruiser%20AE.ftl?dl=0

Links below are for versions of FTL earlier than 1.5.

DOWNLOAD LINK (MediaFire): http://www.mediafire.com/download/v9goimm465n0gru/The_Capital_Cruiser.ftl
DOWNLOAD LINK: (Dropbox): https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hhtnuslh3c1uft/The%20Capital%20Cruiser.ftl
Last edited by slowriderxcorps on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thunderr

Re: [SHIP] The Capital Cruiser (Balanced Playable Flagship M

Postby Thunderr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm

The art for the imposter is gorgeous, great job!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 pm

You've given me something to do tonight and/or tomorrow. Thanks! I've always wanted to kick butt in the Rebel Flagship.

Interesting, I never noticed before that there is a perfect room in which to place the weapons once you take them from the front. Too you didn't leave the rooms, though. They'd be nice places for bad guys to bomb and teleport to :D

I'll report back on how easy/hard I feel the ships are.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 am

Played the Impostor, had a good time though it felt a bit easy. Once I got my weapons up nothing could stop me.

I ended with a pike beam (replaced the mini) and pegasus missiles (replaced the Artemis) and my teleporting crew was 2 mantises and a rockman. Only one had fully leveled up by the time I beat the rebel flagship. I was pretty decked out, had a defense drone and a full cloak, 4 shields and more levels in most everything than I could actually power.

I took no damage when fighting the flagship :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Zremort

Postby Zremort » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am

5thHorseman wrote:Played the Impostor, had a good time though it felt a bit easy. Once I got my weapons up nothing could stop me.

I ended with a pike beam (replaced the mini) and pegasus missiles (replaced the Artemis) and my teleporting crew was 2 mantises and a rockman. Only one had fully leveled up by the time I beat the rebel flagship. I was pretty decked out, had a defense drone and a full cloak, 4 shields and more levels in most everything than I could actually power.

I took no damage when fighting the flagship :)

It's a pretty good run as it sounds, but it's to be expected that it'll do a lot of damage because it's meant to be like the Federation Flagship, really. But, lovely to see there was such a good run here. Makes me wanna download it just to try it out.
poikjuyt

Postby poikjuyt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm

:| I don't know if anyone has had this problem yet, but when i click the link it keeps saying "Server error" any ideas why i'm getting this?
Duncan Evans
Zremort

Postby Zremort » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

poikjuyt wrote::| I don't know if anyone has had this problem yet, but when i click the link it keeps saying "Server error" any ideas why i'm getting this?

I think MediaFire's server is currently down, so downloading this file will be impossible for a while.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Zremort wrote:
poikjuyt wrote::| I don't know if anyone has had this problem yet, but when i click the link it keeps saying "Server error" any ideas why i'm getting this?

I think MediaFire's server is currently down, so downloading this file will be impossible for a while.

Oh man. Let me see if I can get a Dropbox link ready for this. Mediafire's been kind to me since forever, it's a bummer to see it not work for everyone.

EDIT: Added. I've never used Dropbox until now. And for some reason, I don't really like the prospect of how it works, but I'll work with it. Throwing the Arty mod onto it while I'm at it.
Zremort

Postby Zremort » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm

There's the dropbox download. That's great. Very convenient.
poikjuyt

Postby poikjuyt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:53 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:
Zremort wrote:

Oh man. Let me see if I can get a Dropbox link ready for this. Mediafire's been kind to me since forever, it's a bummer to see it not work for everyone.

EDIT: Added. I've never used Dropbox until now. And for some reason, I don't really like the prospect of how it works, but I'll work with it. Throwing the Arty mod onto it while I'm at it.

:D Thanks!
Duncan Evans