[Ship] Arwing I + II

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
VanguardOfValor

[Ship] Arwing I + II

Postby VanguardOfValor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 am

What a surprise! It's a ship mod, just like it says on the tin! After weeks and weeks of playing with the various mods posted here I finally caved and decided to try my hand at the job myself, and I have to say I gained a new respect for the trouble modders have to go through to make the things they do: getting your mod just right can sure be a pain in the butt. With that said though, the mod made it to completion (with a big thank you to DryEagle for his help in getting past an infuriating problem and for his general know-how) so here it is! Let me know what you guys think about it!

Now, on to the mod: introducing... the Arwing I!

This ship, based off of the Arwing from StarFox 64, features a variety of customized elements. Specifically:

-StarFox-themed hull (No surprise there...)
-StarFox-themed cloak (One of my favourite parts...)
-StarFox-themed gibs (Also one of my favourite parts...)
-Recreated Bombs using the original sounds (and somewhat acceptable custom images! :P)
-Modified lasers to give a bit more of that StarFox feel
-An FTL booster augment (so that you can use the boost to get through)
-No drone control! Do not buy it if it appears in a store!

It also has a very compact design, so missiles and bombs can be very dangerous in the early game. I feel that it's weaponry makes for an interesting challenge, and the early game can be very difficult if the RNG decides it dislikes you, but if you can upgrade your lasers you have a seriously powerful ship at your disposal.

Here's another look at the ship in the Hangar, waiting for you to try it out:

So give it a shot and let me know what you think! I had a great time/terrible time making this ship (depending on what frustrating error/fun element I was working on at any given time) and am happy to be able to show off something of my own after playing so many of the mods you guys have made.

**If you're finding it too difficult, you may want to try the Arwing II instead, which has it's starting weaponry buffed and is quite a bit easier to get going with! **

In case anyone is interested, my making-of video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A31U0CtvU0w

And of course, the mod itself can be found here!

See it in action in my run with the ship here!
Or watch GingerDragon try it here!
Or watch BrenTenkage try it here!

Thanks for checking it out, and good luck out there!
Last edited by VanguardOfValor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
TheNewbie

Re: [Ship] Arwing I

Postby TheNewbie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 am

As a subscriber of yours I'm more than happy to play with this ship! :D Very cool looking and custom weapons. Paradise. :lol:
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojabThz ... e=youtu.be

While it was cool, I do need to mention that I had some problems with em, but don't worry I don't hate the ship.
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Yuurg

Postby Yuurg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 am

I watched the video, can't wait for Vanguard to start his lets play of his ship!
Also,
DO A BARREL ROLL :geek:
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 am

Love it, especially with the dialog boxes in the cloak and gibs. I look forward to seeing more ships from you!
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:13 am

BrenTenkage wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojabThzNQ0&feature=youtu.be

While it was cool, I do need to mention that I had some problems with em, but don't worry I don't hate the ship.

Thanks for giving it a shot! Not sure if upgrading your weapons first was necessarily the best move, but to each their own. :P

Yuurg wrote:I watched the video, can't wait for Vanguard to start his lets play of his ship!
Also,
DO A BARREL ROLL :geek:

I'll probably be starting my own run soon, because I'm getting to a point now where I can talk for a reasonable time with having to cough or blow my nose. >.>

Being sick sucks.

Thunderr wrote:Love it, especially with the dialog boxes in the cloak and gibs. I look forward to seeing more ships from you!

I really liked the text boxes. :P

Bit disappointed I couldn't stop the text box in the gibs from spinning, but otherwise I thought it was a fun way to reference the original game. :D
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Pelehenten

Postby Pelehenten » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi vanquard,

in case of the huge amount of OP Ship Mods here, i have the feeling your`s is slightly a bit underpowered ^^

I tride it now for 2 hours and i did`nt get through sector 2/3 and believe me, i`am not the best FTL player
but a well doing one. trust me, u are my teacher ^^
had scene all of ur ftl videos = )

kindly feel that one more crew/ a 3 shoot laser / or shields lvl 2 would increase the chance to survive in the early game.
but that`s only my opinion.

so i think the way u created ur ship, it seems to be really luck depending to get to the mid/late game, but i already said
that`s my feeling with the arwing.

but thx any way to ur work... well done

PS: the image of the ship is a bit unsharp ingame ;)
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:16 am

VanguardOfValor wrote:...and the early game can be very difficult if the RNG decides it dislikes you

Yes... VERY YES! :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPdXIA- ... e=youtu.be
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:42 am

Pelehenten wrote:kindly feel that one more crew/ a 3 shoot laser / or shields lvl 2 would increase the chance to survive in the early game.
but that`s only my opinion.

You know, I actually made fun of this in my video, but now that you mention it...
Holding down the A button causes the Arwing to fire three lasers before it starts charging, so replacing the two lasers with a single 3 shot laser would technically still be canon, and it would likely help alot in the early game.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Pelehenten

Postby Pelehenten » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 am

You know, I actually made fun of this in my video, but now that you mention it...

haha, i really have to watch this, should be funny :D

Holding down the A button causes the Arwing to fire three lasers before it starts charging,

did u joke with this, i`m asking before i go ingame and try it *lol :lol: