Can we change the direction of projectiles?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kiloku

Can we change the direction of projectiles?

Postby Kiloku » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am

I just tried making a player ship with guns that do not point to the right of the screen, I made them pointing up. The problem is that despite that, the projectiles fired from them were facing right and flied to the right. Is there any way to modify this behaviour?
speedoflight

Re: Can we change the direction of projectiles?

Postby speedoflight » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:37 pm

LOL. NO, as far as i know, projectiles always are fired to the right, no matter wat direction the weapon has.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:37 pm

None that I know of. Maybe there's something in the animations.xml file, but I highly doubt it - it's more likely that direction of projectiles is hardcoded.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Yup,and anyways it will look a bit stupid, having some weapons firing up and other firing to the right.. i mean, if we are talking that we fire at a moving target, and there is a moment the target is behind u, that will make more sense on having weapons firing towards you , for example (since u cant hit the ship with the forwared ones).
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm planning a total conversion, and all player vehicles would fire up, it'd look better in the context.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Weapon direction is one of the things which can't be changed, which is a large part of why you don't see people doing perspective-shift mods.
However, you can "cheat" it by not having a projectile, but having a firing visual as part of the weapon itself.
Check out my ultrasonic cannon in DiD mod (first link in sig) for an example
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 pm

The only purpose of a weapon mount to be allowed to placed looking up is to make different weapons, for example as dryeagle said, a weapon of an style of a wave cannon or something like that (so the weapon graphic itself is already long to acomodate the projectile as well). In fact, that was one of my ideas for my last modded ships lol. But since i never tried it, i dunno exactly how that will work. The problem of this type of weapons, is, u need to place em in a weapon mount designed on purpose, cuz if u mount that weapon on a vanilla ship, designed for regular weapons, it will not look good at all.. if u know wat i mean.
ImageImage