Calling all modders

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

Re: Calling all modders

Postby DryEagle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 am

Yes exactly, beams are guaranteed damage so they are quite high on the powerfulness list of weapons.
Also, we're not going to be having missiles but "charges" or "ammunition" - for the beams, this will basically be a case of having to swap lenses after each shot, since focusing such power deforms the glass making it unusable. Or cracks the crystal of the lens. Or something. Just a balance thing.

Gliders vs gunboats are exactly as you mention, it's because it will be flying over the enemy ship, not just around. Also scale...
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 am

Just curious, what would boarding/repair/Anti-Personnel drones be?
What I'm thinking is this:
Boarding: Armored Diver--Wearing a special suit that propels him quickly through water, the diver is able to break through the enemy hull and wreak havoc. Awesome.
Repair: Ship Engineer--A trained engineer wearing a suit that protects him from everything except a sword or (ranged weapon).
Anti-Personnel: Armored Guard--A guard wearing an armor suit that gives him extra protection from pesky boarders.
Just a few ideas.
brothershogo

Postby brothershogo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 am

ThePieman wrote:Just curious, what would boarding/repair/Anti-Personnel drones be?
What I'm thinking is this:
Boarding: Armored Diver--Wearing a special suit that propels him quickly through water, the diver is able to break through the enemy hull and wreak havoc. Awesome.
Repair: Ship Engineer--A trained engineer wearing a suit that protects him from everything except a sword or (ranged weapon).
Anti-Personnel: Armored Guard--A guard wearing an armor suit that gives him extra protection from pesky boarders.
Just a few ideas.

Those are good ideas. The Drone room could be converted into the "Barracks" or something... The Armored divers could look like smaller Big Daddys from Bioshock. Armored Guard could basically be a knight/conquistador in metal plate armor. Engineer could wear some kind of environmental suit made of rubber or leather. Maybe even have on an old school gas mask.
ImageImageImage
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 am

As I said in an earlier post, repair drones can be a monkey with a wrench. A bit silly, but makes sense at least why (compared to it being a human) they can't be ordered, do stupid things like walking into a room full of enemies, have very low HP, can't man stations, etc. And if the drone control is damaged, the monkey could just sit around or something, generally being lazy and useless like monkeys do.

For combat drones, a guy in combat suit doesn't really make much sense, especially bearing in mind they shut down if drone control is damaged... not sure yet. It might be best to just leave those out for the initial release. There's plenty enough other things to worry about.
ImageImageImageImage
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Well obviously if you have a repair monkey, then it follows to have a gorilla guard and a flying ape. :D
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Erm, dude i saw monkeys smarter than some humans... ;) :lol:
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 pm

speedoflight wrote:Erm, dude i saw monkeys smarter than some humans... ;) :lol:

That is extremely not funny...
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Alvarin, could you post a list of all the races/images? That'd be helpful.
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 pm

I am not certain I understand the question...
There are 7 (8) races: Human (Female), Zoltan, Rockman, Mantis, Engi, Slugs, Crystal.
In addition there are repair, boarding and anti-personnel drones.
The crew and, to a lesser degree, the drones have each 3 big image sets - green, red, yellow.
Each set has about 130 animation frames (individual 30x30 images)
Then there are assorted bits and pieces, in total there are 64 image files in the directory.

Progress report - it's going slow, I have somewhat less time then expected and it is harder than I thought...

Does anyone know why there are two sets of weapon animation? The second one just having duplicate (triplicate?) images.
Another question is about the last two lines of animation before teleport and death - it looks like running, but I did not see it in-game...
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:14 pm

The duplicate / triplicate images are because some races have non-static attack animations, e.g. mantis.
Not sure about running, skip it for now and see if it comes up ingame...

any, that's looking really good so far :)
ImageImageImageImage