[MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

Re: [MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Postby DryEagle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Added the link.
I actually think the zoltan shield is a pretty bad choice... yes it helps you a lot early game, but later on, the other augments are potentially much better, especially the electronics one, since avoiding a system being damaged at a critical time can make a huge difference in a fight. Same for dodging hull damage. Personal preference in the end though ;)
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Bonnie Lass

Postby Bonnie Lass » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 pm

DryEagle wrote:Actual criticism or other feedback pertaining to something not working, or general aspects of the mod, is always welcome. The things you pointed out are entirely irrelevant because they have absolutely no effect whatsoever on anything ingame. As such, they are not really errors. That's the difference you seem to be ignoring. FTL parses its XML in its own way, and clearly GMM's validator is incorrect, since it's throwing errors where there are none, according to the actual game. I suggest you find a more FTL-compatible piece of software, or try some modding yourself, then you might gain some understanding of this.

You are literally scolding me for fixing xml syntax errors. Is this really an argument worth having? FTL parses it in its own way, yes, but when there's an abundance of XML errors it can obscure actual problems because it's buried underneath tons of false positives. I think it's better just to take the couple of minutes to fix it.

But even if I were not aware of the way FTL parses xml, that does not excuse you for your rude behavior. Seriously, how you manage to take offense to this blows my mind. Enjoy being condescending over modded text files I guess!

DryEagle wrote:Also I will ask that you take that link down, as you are essentially redistributing this mod without permission.

The link was for you. You just complained you didn't have the time to do it. You'd be wise to use it if you really hate people complaining about XML errors as much as you say you do.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

DryEagle wrote:FTL parses its XML in its own way, and clearly GMM's validator is incorrect, since it's throwing errors where there are none, according to the actual game.

The game is not the one to decide whether an XML file is correct or not. XML is a norm that was created to improve interoperability between programs. GMM's validator follows that norm, and the XML files in your mod (and in the original game) are incorrect.

It happens that FTL accepts invalid XML files, and your mod's invalid XML files happen to work in FTL. That's obviously good enough for you, but be aware that makes them not work in the rest of the XML ecosystem.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Bonnie Lass wrote:Is this really an argument worth having?
No, it isn't. So let's leave it at that.

Bonnie Lass wrote:that does not excuse you for your rude behavior.
I make no excuses. It's the way I am.

boa13 wrote:It happens that FTL accepts invalid XML files, and your mod's invalid XML files happen to work in FTL. That's obviously good enough for you, but be aware that makes them not work in the rest of the XML ecosystem.
I do not wish or intend for my mods to be used anywhere outside of the very specific application of FTL. This one in particular changes so much that it's not intended to be used with (or even compatible with) other ships or stuff anyway. So yes, it is good enough.
ImageImageImageImage
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 am

This is some really innovative work. I think you're the first person to do an up-front ship customizer with events (and I learned from some of your images, too - like your loading screen replacement).

You should be glad that GMM only found TWO instances of invalid XML in your mod. Let's just say that Sonata was....subpar...in that regard :lol:
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
James Downey

Postby James Downey » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm

The link wont let me download this mod it says its corrupted is there another way of getting it? :D
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

try a different browser or something; i just checked, it still works fine.
ImageImageImageImage
fireclaw2006

Postby fireclaw2006 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:22 pm

I tried downloading it on Firefox and internet explorer. It did not work on ether one.
patrick3483

Postby patrick3483 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am

Can you provide an alternate mirror? Mediafire just doesn't work for me :( :( :(
966socho

Postby 966socho » Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm

"Free accounts are limited to 10 downloads per week of each file of this type. The limit for this file has been reached."

The sentence after what the previous poster quoted. This is probably more relevant.

I've uploaded my local copy of the mod (EDIT: link removed by request, DryEagle has fixed the issue) on dropcanvas as your temporary solution.
Last edited by 966socho on Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.