Great steam gift....and that's it.

General discussion about the game.
doozey

Great steam gift....and that's it.

Postby doozey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:01 am

The idea of this game is pretty nice but I honestly wouldn't have paid ANY money for this game. I like the whole random play through just about every time that this game offers but what I don't like is a game that takes more luck than skill. Personally give it a 4 out of 10 cause it's good to play while you are patching up a game, downloading something else, or just need a small amount of time to kill but your most likely not missing out on anything special.
VanguardOfValor

Re: Great steam gift....and that's it.

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 am

I have a feeling you may just be poking the coals to ignite some anger, given that the majority of the people who actively post on this board are her because they like the game, but here is a quick response:

Although FTL is heavily influenced in many ways by luck, a lot of the time the player can still control the situation once they have some experience with how the game works and what the various events actually do. You may still wind up dying from time to time because you never got the weapon you needed, or because you ran out of fuel, but a lot of the time you have the tools you need to make your situation work out.

If you don't like the game, that's fine too - there are plenty of other games out there, and nothing works for absolutely everyone - but you may want to give it a second chance before dismissing it for being too luck based.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Overlord_urlockgaur

Postby Overlord_urlockgaur » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:02 pm

I got this game on sale, greatest buy I got this holiday season. It took no time at all to download and I've already spent 35 hours on this. Needless to say I love it. Luck is a factor in your chance to hit and be hit, the beacons and sector options and fire/breach chance. Luck does not control the game but the player does, you almost always have 2 different sectors to advance to. If you don't like missing with the lasers/missiles or bombs then board the enemy, use quicker charging ion cannons with a laser or two. There are so many choices you can make. I think you might be a little too harsh on this and it does take a few deaths to get used to but I'm not going to sit and force you to play.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 pm

Rogue-like RNG Permadeath games aren't really everyone's thing.

Sad to hear that you don't like it, but good luck anyways.
I hate FTL...

But I love it at the same time...
Szczypior

Postby Szczypior » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I think this dude is just a troll. Come on, who goes to the games forums to say he doesn't like it? That's kind of retarded in my opinion. I mean, what was he expecting? It's rougelike strategy game. And very good one. Personally if I don't like the game, I just uninstall it. I have to admit I try the games before I buy them (and not by playing demos but by doing things that are considered bad). I support software developers that really deserve it.

Also, FTL isn't 'short' game at all. In my opinion it requires at least 1,5h to play (yes, you can save and quit, but is there anyone using that option? I can't force myself to get out of my story! :D).

You can say I'm a pirate and this stuff, and I'll agree. But all in all I pay for software I really use. So those 'pirate' copies don't last long on my HDD. And FTL is same case. I admit I downloaded it through torrent site and played it. I loved it, but had no money for it at this point, so I played it for about a week and then, after I got my money I bought it. Why? Because it is Best Game Of The Year of course!

Also, situation with Diablo 3, my brother actually got it with special offer of yearly subscription to WoW, and I played on his account. If I bought it without trying it first I'd literally kill myself. This is most disappointing game of last decade for me! Ridiculous game requirements (it performs badly on my i5 laptop with GF330M and 4GB ram on native resolution, while TL2 goes smoothly on highest settings, so does Mass Effect 3!) and bad, yes BAD overall design, boring story line and implementation of AH made this game terrible.

You may judge me as you want. I will still try games before I buy them, I bet many of you do so. But if you do (and I know it's bad) be sure to grow some balls and buy the software you like, or delete it if you don't enjoy it! Personaly I'm going to get some copies for my friends once I got some spare money (I'm unfortunately unemployed at the moment, and I leave in quite sh!ty country where they wan't elderly people to work until almost death and don't give any new workplaces for young people. I'm going hell out of this place once I get my degree in IT and Computer Graphics). Oh, and sorry for little offtopic ;)

Happy New Year! FTL is great game with very friendly community, keep it this way guys! :)

EDIT:
I also want to say that FTL and their developers won my recognition, and I surely will support further FTL development, even if it requires payment, or any other NEW interesting projects they come up with. Why? Because I know they are worth every single cent spent on them.
rannl

Postby rannl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Szczypior wrote:I think this dude is just a troll. Come on, who goes to the games forums to say he doesn't like it? That's kind of retarded in my opinion. I mean, what was he expecting?

I agree. With all the big league gaming companies which constantly spew out games with amazing graphics and no originality, indie developers are the ones (IMHO) who keep the flame of the gaming industry alive.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Szczypior wrote:*Snip*

Lots of people download a game first as a demo to see if they should buy it...
I hate FTL...

doozey

Postby doozey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Szczypior wrote:I think this dude is just a troll. Come on, who goes to the games forums to say he doesn't like it? That's kind of retarded in my opinion. I mean, what was he expecting? It's rougelike strategy game. And very good one. Personally if I don't like the game, I just uninstall it. I have to admit I try the games before I buy them (and not by playing demos but by doing things that are considered bad). I support software developers that really deserve it.

Also, FTL isn't 'short' game at all. In my opinion it requires at least 1,5h to play (yes, you can save and quit, but is there anyone using that option? I can't force myself to get out of my story! :D).

You can say I'm a pirate and this stuff, and I'll agree. But all in all I pay for software I really use. So those 'pirate' copies don't last long on my HDD. And FTL is same case. I admit I downloaded it through torrent site and played it. I loved it, but had no money for it at this point, so I played it for about a week and then, after I got my money I bought it. Why? Because it is Best Game Of The Year of course!

Also, situation with Diablo 3, my brother actually got it with special offer of yearly subscription to WoW, and I played on his account. If I bought it without trying it first I'd literally kill myself. This is most disappointing game of last decade for me! Ridiculous game requirements (it performs badly on my i5 laptop with GF330M and 4GB ram on native resolution, while TL2 goes smoothly on highest settings, so does Mass Effect 3!) and bad, yes BAD overall design, boring story line and implementation of AH made this game terrible.

You may judge me as you want. I will still try games before I buy them, I bet many of you do so. But if you do (and I know it's bad) be sure to grow some balls and buy the software you like, or delete it if you don't enjoy it! Personaly I'm going to get some copies for my friends once I got some spare money (I'm unfortunately unemployed at the moment, and I leave in quite sh!ty country where they wan't elderly people to work until almost death and don't give any new workplaces for young people. I'm going hell out of this place once I get my degree in IT and Computer Graphics). Oh, and sorry for little offtopic ;)

Happy New Year! FTL is great game with very friendly community, keep it this way guys! :)

EDIT:
I also want to say that FTL and their developers won my recognition, and I surely will support further FTL development, even if it requires payment, or any other NEW interesting projects they come up with. Why? Because I know they are worth every single cent spent on them.

Lol nah not a troll AT ALL actually. Last time I checked posting an opinion and trolling are two different things so if you took that as trolling, your problem not mine.
ExtraCheesyPie

Postby ExtraCheesyPie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:39 pm

doozey wrote:
Szczypior wrote:I think this dude is just a troll. Come on, who goes to the games forums to say he doesn't like it? That's kind of retarded in my opinion. I mean, what was he expecting? It's rougelike strategy game. And very good one. Personally if I don't like the game, I just uninstall it. I have to admit I try the games before I buy them (and not by playing demos but by doing things that are considered bad). I support software developers that really deserve it.

EDIT:

Lol nah not a troll AT ALL actually. Last time I checked posting an opinion and trolling are two different things so if you took that as trolling, your problem not mine.

Well, in his defense, who the hell goes on the official forum to say how they don't like the game? What do you expect? A refund? A high-five? A three course salami tasting session?
It's not like you're suggesting anything either, and almost all of the people here already have the game, so you're not preventing anyone from buying it.
I hate FTL...

Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm

FTL is an old-school game. One should keep that in mind when playing this.
Space Roman