What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Megas Domestikos

Re: What is (are) your favorite weapon(s) and why?

Postby Megas Domestikos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Right, I messed up the two.
Space Roman
magic9mushroom

Postby magic9mushroom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 am

Megas Domestikos wrote:I like lasers myself. There was this some laser that consumed 4 power but had 3 damage, I had it on my Zoltan ship when I won my first victory two days ago. With the laser I had a good 3 damage missile system which I launched to enemy shields, then let the laser finish the job. Very long reload times but thankfully the Zoltan shield saved me from many perils.

That's the Glaive Beam, which half the thread has been discussing. ;)
Cooperal

Postby Cooperal » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Best game I ever had 2 days ago. I was in stealth cruiser A. Glaive beam + burst laser II x2 + pre-igniter + cloaking = uncounterable. I also dropped my system-damage-negation for a 15% quicker weapon recharge just in time for the last stand.

An extremely drama-packed playthrough. I even went from scratching around with 1 hull point to selling off a burst laser III to make room for that beam. I could've fixed myself up a lot more but something told me I needed that beam. My position was so awkward until late game that it was never possible for me to get shields, drone control or crew teleporters from the store. I destroyed that flagship with flying colours.

That pre-igniter and cloaking practically guaranteed that I'd get my six shot "shield softeners" and glaive beam off twice before the enemy could return any serious damage. Needless to say, I never really had to rely on my high evasion.

I couldn't think of a way to make a more pure glass-cannon or blink-tank. To see that a few people think that shield, drone control and/or crew teleporters are needed, I can honestly say I had my easiest (and by far quickest) final boss fight without a single one of those.
rannl

Postby rannl » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Had an interesting (and successful) run on normal with the slug A. Managed to find another anti-bio beam and a BL2.
The DL + BL2 + 2*ABB diced out enemy crew like a paper shredder. The 1st run in with the flagship left it without it's crew so fast my slug boarders felt lonely.

A single ABB is of little use after the 2-3 first sectors, but two of those babies are just pure fun.
Zimplizity

Postby Zimplizity » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Ion Blast MKII, Combat Drone and the Defense Drone.

Just because the Combat Drone can take out the enemies shield while I can temporarly disable it with the Ion Blast. And since I can't disable the shield and the weapons at the same time my Defense Drone cares about the incoming missels etc. :)
bsctgod

Postby bsctgod » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Glaive Beam of course. Secondary weapons are anything that can effectively bring down the shield long enough to rip through 4 or 5 rooms with the Glaive Beam. Love it.
JediKnightBoB

Postby JediKnightBoB » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:08 pm

A decent BL or two to take down the shields, and then fire weapons. I don't mind having a heavy laser in the mix, just for that extra breach or fire chance. I ran with a BL2 and three fire beams once... only made it to Sector 7, I think, but boy did I have fun along the way :D
ergo3983

Postby ergo3983 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm

A burst laser and a missile/bomb to take down their shields and some sort of a beam weapon to wreck their ship while the shields are down. Also, a crew teleporter with Rockmen or Mantis for boarding crew are a must-have for the final boss, as well as a cloaking system and also a few anti-ship drones if you can get those. I like them because when the enemy shield is down all of their systems take damage, any rooms that are not connected to the main ship will be destroyed from my boarding party(Like the boss's weapon rooms), and the anti-ship helps keep the shields down so my beam can do it's work.
AstralStorm

Postby AstralStorm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 am

Neither of my 3 wins used a teleporter.

(First Kestrel standard with great synergistic weaponry - 2x BL 2 and Phoenix. One Torus with cloak and a lot of use of hull repair drone, extra Ion, some combat drones. Another with Osprey via maxed artillery and good defense, lots of laser. All normal.)
einarcf

Postby einarcf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm

That must be the Glavie beam and 2 BL2. It will crush anyting in its way! :twisted: