Timing is everything.

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Targetstar

Timing is everything.

Postby Targetstar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Ok, so i was leveling my wep, shield, and engine guy (and pilot) so i was AFK, all of a sudden i look back and i hear something blew up...

i had 2 shield, with a guy who was no star, he had 1 Anti Drone I, and a beam weapon.... so im wondering what is the speed for all of these guys, Shield regen, FTL regen, Drone ROF (for all of them)
cannonfodder

Re: Timing is everything.

Postby cannonfodder » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Targetstar wrote:Ok, so i was leveling my wep, shield, and engine guy (and pilot) so i was AFK, all of a sudden i look back and i hear something blew up...

i had 2 shield, with a guy who was no star, he had 1 Anti Drone I, and a beam weapon.... so im wondering what is the speed for all of these guys, Shield regen, FTL regen, Drone ROF (for all of them)

dude. you go AFK in a battle without pausing it and you're f**king dead. anti-ship drones fire quite fast and the enemy ship probably used the beam weapon to take out your shield systems while the drone was having no luck penetrating them, a normal anti-ship drone cannot beat even level 1 shields without assistance from asteroids, solar flares, or the ship powering it. after the beam weapon took out your shields, the drone moved in. i have NEVER. IN MY LIFE. seen ANY ship survive against an anti-ship mark 1 drone for more than 30 seconds without shields. you lose shields against a drone, and you're dead. no exceptions.
My name is Cannonfodder on Subset Forums, but I am also known as NotSoLoneWolf on Discord which I prefer as a name
OmegaJasam

Postby OmegaJasam » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

Well, there are beams that peirce 1sheild.

And drones sometimes fire fast enough to take down two sheilds.

Eitherway, dones are /really/ dangerious.
Targetstar

Postby Targetstar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 am

Umm... wasn't AFKing really. i had volume on so i can hear, that how i caught it peirce my shield... and i was leveling my guy, so my Pilot engine and shield dude was 2 stars early on, to aid in fighting... so that y i was afking some what.

but.... so what is the RoF for the Drone... just wondering >.>
Farlark

Postby Farlark » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Targetstar wrote:Umm... wasn't AFKing really. i had volume on so i can hear, that how i caught it peirce my shield... and i was leveling my guy, so my Pilot engine and shield dude was 2 stars early on, to aid in fighting... so that y i was afking some what.

i've noticed most anti-ship drones fire about the same speed as shields recharge (same as asteroids). So, one drone is very slightly too slow to break through one shield layer on its own.
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Targetstar wrote:Umm... wasn't AFKing really. i had volume on so i can hear, that how i caught it peirce my shield... and i was leveling my guy, so my Pilot engine and shield dude was 2 stars early on, to aid in fighting... so that y i was afking some what.

RoF for the Lvl 1 drone is somewhat variable. In case you haven't notice, the drone will fire once, move to a new location, and fire the moment it gets there. So if the new location is closer, it gets a shorter firing interval.

Lvl 1 and lvl 2 differs in how fast they move. Lvl 1 cannot keep a shield down (shield can almost always recharge faster than a lvl 1 can take it down), lvl 2 can almost always keep a shield from recharging (it fires about as fast, maybe a bit faster, than the default unmanned shield can charge as far as I remember).

However, given that you only have 1 shield and, as stated above, the lvl 1's firing interval is depending on when it gets to the next firing position. What most likely happened was that the drone fires once, drop your shield, and randomly pick a point that's right next to its previous position, and fire again before your shield can recharge.

So if you want to "afk" against a lvl 1 drone, I strongly suggest you have 2 shield at least (I have never seen a drone got lucky to fire three shots in quick successions).