[Question] Enemy Ship Scaling?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

[Question] Enemy Ship Scaling?

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Has anyone figured out how enemy ships scale depending on what sector they are encountered in?

Has anyone figured out how enemy weapons are chosen when they are given a list? These lists do not appear to produce true random results, but instead weighted ones.

Has anyone figured out what the <bp> property is in weapon blueprints? I suspect is has something to do with the above question.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Kieve

Re: [Question] Enemy Ship Scaling?

Postby Kieve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:09 pm

On the wiki for weapons, I see <bp> explained as "base points," or similar - best guess being it figures into the game's scoring system. Ships with more advanced systems and better weaponry being worth more when destroyed. I would think the stronger weapons are weighted to appear later - it's possible there's even something lurking around in the game's code that prohibits weapons of a certain BP from appearing too soon (no Rebel ships with Burst Laser Mk III and a Glaive Beam in the first sector).

I'm a horrible mathematician though so I have no idea what the actual formulas might be, and the BP thing is pure hypothesis. :?
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Hmmm, maybe they get so many 'base points' to spend on upgrades in systems and weapons depending on the sector? I will do some experimentation and screenshot some ships in vanilla FTL by sector, see if I can figure out what is going on (though that is going to wait on some other crap first, so if there are any more thoughts on this by anyone please share).

Edit: Though it would be easiest if Justin just responded to this and told us ;) .
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:20 pm

There seems to be no difference between sector 1 and 2 ships, with a large jump in power in sector 3. Have a bunch of ship stats written down, need to compare the BP value of installed weapons and crew.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 am

It's a little more complicated than this but:
- BP does nothing. It was from our abandoned customization idea.
- Ship's system power is selected between their "power" and "max" levels based on the sector it's in (+ other factors). i.e. at sector 1 it's likely to use the "power" amount and at sector 8 it's likely to use the "max" amount.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 am

Justin wrote:It's a little more complicated than this but:
- BP does nothing. It was from our abandoned customization idea.
- Ship's system power is selected between their "power" and "max" levels based on the sector it's in (+ other factors). i.e. at sector 1 it's likely to use the "power" amount and at sector 8 it's likely to use the "max" amount.

Thanks!

I assume then that weapon choice is limited by solely by the level of the weapons system.