Requesting Assistance: T³ Issues

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Requesting Assistance: T³ Issues

Postby Kieve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am

This is basically copy-pasta from my other mod thread, but I'm tossing it up here so everyone can see it. I've run into a little difficulty in my "Turn the Tide" mod, where the Destroyer encounters just won't load.
I'm not sure why - perhaps only one ship can be loaded at each node?
Here's an example from the "Challenge" list, which is supposed to call out a Destroyer for you to fight.

Code: Select all

<event>
      <text load="FLEET_CHALLENGE_LIST"/>
      <event>
         <text>An intimidating Rebel Destroyer moves into position, its weapons going hot. Time to nut up or shut up...
</text>
         <ship load="REBEL_DESTROYER" hostile="true"/>

</event>   
   </event>

<textList name="FLEET_CHALLENGE_LIST">

<text>Boldly, you broadcast your message to the waiting fleet. "Is that the best you've got?"</text>
   <text>You switch the comm over to an open channel, and declare brazenly, "Is that the best you can do?"</text>
   <text>You've had enough running. "Bring it on, Rebel scum," you demand coldly.</text>
   <text>This fleet has hounded you from one end of space to the other. Time to make them pay for their mistake.</text>
   <text>"Is that all you've got, you Rebel bastards?" you transmit defiantly.</text>
</textList>

Now what happens is, the text from the "CHALLENGE_LIST" will load just fine. And then... nothing happens. No destroyer appears, none of the follow-up text happens. The event just doesn't seem to trigger.
Is there any way to "un-load" a ship so a different one can replace it? I wonder if perhaps the LONG_FLEET fighter occupying the enemy slot is breaking the function, though I've tried it both ways - dead crew, derelict ship, and destroying it outright. Maybe the event pop-up isn't giving the "destroyed" fighter time to delete itself, but I don't know any way to time-delay an event either. Anyone have an idea? :?
Kieve

Re: Requesting Assistance: T³ Issues

Postby Kieve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 am

Follow-up:
Just ran into an 'interesting' situation where I decided to 'risk salvaging' with an Elite fighter.
It gave me the message about another fighter moving into position, and then immediately cycled back to the "LONG_FLEET_DESTROYED" series of events (which happen on destruction of the first Elite fighter).
Apparently the game is still reading the first ship there, in its death throes.

Still in need of some kind of "timer" event or a <ship unload> function to clear the first encounter, but I really have no idea if either is possible.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:16 am

Perhaps I misunderstand where this is placed, but you can't just make an event inside another event.

<event>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Continue...</text>
      <event>
         <text>An intimidating Rebel Destroyer moves into position, its weapons going hot. Time to nut up or shut up...
</text>
      </event>   
   </choice>
</event>

If you want 2 popups to happen in a row you need to have a <choice> even if it's a dummy one like this.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 am

Justin wrote:Perhaps I misunderstand where this is placed, but you can't just make an event inside another event.

<event>
   <choice hidden="true">
      <text>Continue...</text>
      <event>
</text>
      </event>   
   </choice>
</event>

If you want 2 popups to happen in a row you need to have a <choice> even if it's a dummy one like this.

D'oh! I'll do some tweaking and give that a try. Thank you Justin!

EDIT: Okay, so the <choice> tag managed to weed out some odd bugs, but it still won't let me load in a new ship. I may have to scrap this idea and pull the "Destroyer" stuff out entirely.
Justin, is it even possible to load up a second ship in the same node? (after the first has been destroyed / defeated)
Is there any kind of <ship unload...> function that'll clear it for future encounters?
Last edited by Kieve on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 am

I still believe that you are correct in thinking you can only have one ship loaded at a specific node, even if a ship is destroyed first. My attempts to use multiple ships at a node have similarly failed.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm

PvtVain wrote:[...] I tried a few things that should've worked, but because of a few examples from other events in the game and the solutions I've tried. [...]

There are a lot of things that 'should work' that do not.

To wit:

<crewMember amount="1" class="energy"/>

Adds a Zoltan crewmember. Pretty basic right?

<crewMember amount="-1"/>

That removes a random crewmember.

<crewMember amount="-1" class="energy"/>

That doesn't remove a zoltan crewmember; it removes a random crewmember. The class property is ignored when removing a crewmember.

There are any number of these things which should work, but do not.

I'm hoping this sort of thing gets fixed in a 'modder's update', but the devs have said this sort of thing is not a priority at the moment.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Small thing I noticed:

If you load a ship as part of the start event and then, when you are playing the game, restart on the first node... you can't load a ship! Weird (and not relevant to T^3), but something people should be aware of.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

That's a peculiar bug. Though I imagine once the rebel fleet advances over that node, it'll switch over to an Elite Fighter encounter anyway. That's a best guess, haven't tested it yet. Would be interesting if that completely disabled ship encounters on the node though.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

It is weird. Restart isn't... restartey enough.

I just noticed an attack drone persisted after a restart. Very strange.