Modding Rules - PLEASE READ (it's short)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Justin
Site Admin

Modding Rules - PLEASE READ (it's short)

Postby Justin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey guys - Sorry this has been a bit slow but I'm on the road and don't always have computer access.

Mods that require redistribution of the game files won't be allowed. This will have to be self regulated I think. I'm not going to manually delete posts but please adopt older mods to work with the ".ftl" system (or a new mod manager if it works better).

I don't have time to move all of the posts over this morning; I'm going to have to run soon. You can repost them yourself or wait until I get a moderator or have some time to go searching for all the mod posts.

Is there anyone that you all suggest as a moderator for the Modding section of the forum? Someone that could manage and move posts and help encourage people to respect our modest rules.

I will edit this post as we figure out how things will work in the future.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Whale Cancer

Re: Modding Rules - PLEASE READ (it's short)

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:35 pm

What about distributing modified assets on a limited basis?

For example, I want to use some enemy ships as player ships and some player ships as enemy ships:

rotated.png

What about modified assets such as new versions of rooms, or more modified ships:

fed_rigger_player_4_base.png

And thanks for creating this forum for moddding!
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm going to help move the topics between forums. I you feel something is wrong about that, please PM me.

Also, Whale Cancer, I think it would be better if we left such rules/announce topics uncluttered. Can you post a new thread in the mod development forum to discuss the rules?
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:44 pm

boa13 wrote:I'm going to help move the topics between forums. I you feel something is wrong about that, please PM me.

Also, Whale Cancer, I think it would be better if we left such rules/announce topics uncluttered. Can you post a new thread in the mod development forum to discuss the rules?

Er, but this is a discussion of the rules? I think it is an important and fundamental clarification of the modding rules. We know Mods like Kieve's Obsidian cruiser are 'by to book', I want to know if mine are (otherwise I should pull down my bombers and scout mini-mods and stop work on my big mod).

Also, I'm concerned it won't be seen by the Devs if I post it in the mod development forum.

Edit: The description of the mod development forum is: Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. I don't care if this gets deleted afterwards, I'm just seeking clarification on the Modding Rules (i.e. this post).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Hissatsu

Postby Hissatsu » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:53 pm

If you're just using the player ship as enemy ship, cannot you just make a .bat file or something that copies the file on the user machine (like, if i need to turn the picture sideways and save it as separate file, i could supply a bat file and a command-line picture editor with the mod, and tell user to run this to "install" the mod, which does nessecary tweaks to user's data file?)
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Hissatsu wrote:If you're just using the player ship as enemy ship, cannot you just make a .bat file or something that copies the file on the user machine (like, if i need to turn the picture sideways and save it as separate file, i could supply a bat file and a command-line picture editor with the mod, and tell user to run this to "install" the mod, which does nessecary tweaks to user's data file?)

You would have to unpack, then run the .bat, then repack. It would not work with Grognak's mod manager (since it unpacks and repacks seamlessly)[As far as I know]. Also, no one wants to run .bats from people on the internet and it adds a whole level of complexity to the situation creating a barrier to people using my mod.
Tuesday

Postby Tuesday » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I assume that this means, that we must use Grognaks mod manager.

And I assume that as long as the content used for the mod is slightly to significantly altered it would be ok?

For instance, something slightly modified would be a few weapon redesigns, or ship recolors. And then all the way up to big alterations like my Total conversion, or the Community project, or Whale's federation mod.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks for moving stuff over, boa13. Nice to have things organized.

Yes, it looks like for now adapting your mods to Grognaks mod manager is a must. I'm not going to try and stop anything specifically right now as long as there isn't distribution of the entire game's data files.

I have a bit of time this afternoon, is there any questions about how the game scripting works? (i have no insight on the code, sorry) It seems like you've already reverse engineered most of it but I guess I could save time with a simple QA. Still boggles my mind how quickly you all did this stuff. Don't put questions here, i'll start another thread or something if it seems like there's interest.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Commander Bob

Postby Commander Bob » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Perhaps it would be best to Sticky the Mod manager topic? Or have a Stickied topic that lists valid Mod Managers. (Most preferable.)

If it is impeccable that EVERYONE now uses the Mod Manager setup, a lot of new modders will want to go looking for it, and the search on this forum is arsey heh, (no words less than x characters, no common words etc).

Can't PM either to ask anyone!
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 pm

The Mod Manager is stickied (in the Mod Development subforum), and also prominently linked from the Master Mod List (in this subforum), which is also stickied.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.