[WIP] Faster Than Christmas Restored Edition

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Eric

[WIP] Faster Than Christmas Restored Edition

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:51 am

I am working on a version of Gencool's Faster Than Christmas Mod with the unused content I found re-added:
Version 2 [Latest Version!]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/boeootc9t0708 ... 2.ftl?dl=0
Version 1 [Gift launcher doesn't work, jump times not vanilla]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z95mvaqr8bbwp ... 1.ftl?dl=0

The things I still need to fix:
Fix the custom Name and Description of the DNA Bank
Fix the custom Name and Description of the Lifeform Scanner

Things Restored:
"Rudolph Beam" Ion beam added back in the game
Lifeform Scanner added to the Sleigher
Gift Launcher added to the Sleigher, renamed "Tinsel Launcher"
Enemy ships' jump time restored to how it is in vanilla FTL

The Original Mod Post: viewtopic.php?t=26636
Working Download Link For The Original Mod [Thanks BrenTankage]: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kl32yliot ... s_v006.ftl

Any Help Restoring the Unused Content would be Greatly Appreciated (Even if help doesn't come until long after I post this)
Last edited by Eric on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Re: [WIP] Faster Than Christmas Restored Edition

Postby stylesrj » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 am

Any scripts you're going to fix like why enemy ships run away so quickly... or how at times you're forced to use an Elf to stop them from escaping?

And any story elements that'll be added to the Last Stand? Just wanna know because I like to lump Gencool's mod with my own Christmas overhaul and I'm wondering if there might be compatibility issues if I go about and make changes to my own mod?
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 am

Hi.

I think there was a reason why the Rudolph beam was scrapped because of how overpowered it is. An ion beam does ion damage per frame, so it strips all layers of shields even with a short beam length, the only way to counteract it is put a extremely fast nonsensical speed. it doesn't even have custom art; it uses the Mini-beam art.

The Gift/Present Launcher is also a scrapped idea since it doesn't have any custom art to it.
It's also scrapped because it has the <chargeLevels> tag which severely bugs out any BURST type weaponry.

---

stylesrj wrote:Any scripts you're going to fix like why enemy ships run away so quickly... or how at times you're forced to use an Elf to stop them from escaping?"

In all of the event files, there is a large block of xml which pretty much modifies the escape timer on enemies, so I'm pretty sure Eric can just remove that block.
I think it's this;

Code: Select all

<!---Finds Silent Escapes --->
<mod:findLike type="ship">
      <mod:findLike type="escape">
         <mod:selector timer="80" />
         <!--<mod:removeTag />-->
      </mod:findLike>

<!-- all silent ships seem to escape at 80 -->

<mod-append:escape min="3" max="10" chance="0.7">
         <text load="SHIP_WANTS_TO_ESCAPE"/>
         <ship hostile="true"/>
            <choice hidden="true" req="engi">
               <text>(Elven Crew) Ask an Elf to try and stop the ship escaping.</text>
                  <event load="FTXMASS_ELVES_HINDER_ESCAPE"/>
            </choice>

<choice>
               <text>Continue.</text>
               <event>
                  <ship hostile="true"/>
               </event>
            </choice>
         </mod-append:escape>
Discord: ATLAS#9226
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:36 pm

stylesrj wrote:Any scripts you're going to fix like why enemy ships run away so quickly... or how at times you're forced to use an Elf to stop them from escaping?

And any story elements that'll be added to the Last Stand? Just wanna know because I like to lump Gencool's mod with my own Christmas overhaul and I'm wondering if there might be compatibility issues if I go about and make changes to my own mod?

There should not be any compatibility issues with your awesome Christmas Ships mod, as I am not going to be changing any major events, just small bugfixing and content restoration. I will look at the Elf and the Ship escape things and try to fix those in addition to restoring the weapons and fixing custom augment names/descriptions.

Arfy wrote:Hi.

I think there was a reason why the Rudolph beam was scrapped because of how overpowered it is. An ion beam does ion damage per frame, so it strips all layers of shields even with a short beam length, the only way to counteract it is put a extremely fast nonsensical speed. it doesn't even have custom art; it uses the Mini-beam art.

The Gift/Present Launcher is also a scrapped idea since it doesn't have any custom art to it.
It's also scrapped because it has the <chargeLevels> tag which severely bugs out any BURST type weaponry.

---

In all of the event files, there is a large block of xml which pretty much modifies the escape timer on enemies, so I'm pretty sure Eric can just remove that block.
I think it's this;

Code: Select all

<!---Finds Silent Escapes --->
<mod:findLike type="ship">
      <mod:findLike type="escape">
         <mod:selector timer="80" />
         <!--<mod:removeTag />-->

<!-- all silent ships seem to escape at 80 -->

<mod-append:escape min="3" max="10" chance="0.7">
         <text load="SHIP_WANTS_TO_ESCAPE"/>
         <ship hostile="true"/>
            <choice hidden="true" req="engi">
               <text>(Elven Crew) Ask an Elf to try and stop the ship escaping.</text>
                  <event load="FTXMASS_ELVES_HINDER_ESCAPE"/>
            </choice>

<choice>
               <text>Continue.</text>
               <event>
                  <ship hostile="true"/>
               </event>
            </choice>
         </mod-append:escape>

Thanks for the feedback, i'll keep what you said in mind. I am probably keeping the Rudolph beam on the ship, despite its power, because it makes sense that the legendary Santa Claus would be overpowered. Also, thanks for pointing out the code, I'll try removing it to see if it works.
Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:26 am

New Version with fixed Gift Launcher and enemy FTL jump times fixed!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/boeootc9t0708 ... 2.ftl?dl=0

The Gift Launcher renamed Tinsel Launcher, and Instead of the (Broken) charging up to 3 shots, it fires 3 shots at once (but has 3x the time of charging one shot)
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm

reminder to everyone to download this, and try to help fix it
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269