Fire spreading illogically

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Derakon

Fire spreading illogically

Postby Derakon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 pm

The fire that my Rockman is standing on appeared after he knocked out a fire directly south of it. Where did the new fire come from, then?

In other words, there was a fire in the southern portion of the O2 room. I sent in my rockman to take it out. He knocked it out. About half a second later, a new fire appeared in the northern portion of the O2 room. There was a (brief) period in which there was no fire in the room whatsoever.
hav1t

Re: Fire spreading illogically

Postby hav1t » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 pm

as a Fireman irl, i can assure you that fire does not act "Logicly" it can jump, backdraft etc.. so I would say unpredictability is logical.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Just b/c the fire is out doesn't mean the heat's not still there to push it forward.

Spock says you fail at fire logic... ;)
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Given that you can have fires burning in areas where there's no air, it seems pretty clear to me that "fire" is actually shorthand for "heat that is damaging your systems". In which case, if there's no fire in a room and no fire next to the room, then there shouldn't be any way for a fire to spontaneously spring up in the room. I stand by my bug report.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:50 pm

It IS fire. It goes out when there's NO air. There's still some air left if it's still burning.

It's an abstraction obviously, and working as intended.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

There's no air to burn in that room. The fire should NOT start.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Meh. It's an abstraction. Maybe there's o2 trapped under the deck or whatever.

This is behavior that a lot of us have seen. I'm certain it's working as intended. Just b/c you got the fire out doesn't mean you're out of the woods. There's still a chance for that fire to spread (albeit very slim)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 pm

orange border around the room says there's no oxygen. Not under the carpet, not in the drawer, not anywere. Crew suffocates, then so should fire. Both need air to function.

It's just a minor imperfection in the code that governs fire spread. You can abstract it to mean the threat and dagner are still there, but it is a flaw.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm

It's not a flaw if it's by design. Which it obviously is.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 pm

"Many people have noticed it happening" does not equate to "behavior is by design". The devs have limited time and may not be aware of the problem, which is why this forum exists. If you have a post from a dev saying "Yeah, we meant for it to work this way", then fine -- otherwise I think you're just putting words into their mouths. Clearly you don't think it's a problem, but you aren't a dev, are you?

Regardless, the problem's been reported, so it's up to the devs to take action on it or not as they see fit and/or have resources. I could well believe that it's a minor enough bug that they simply decide it's not worth dedicating the time to fixing -- I'm sure they have a lot on their plates.