Not enough weapons?

General discussion about the game.
Telemont

Not enough weapons?

Postby Telemont » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:52 am

I'm having a really hard time with this game, because it always seems like there are never enough weapon shops. Over and over again I fail to find good weapons, and end up struggling horribly to make it through each sector, until I eventually get crushed by the boss because I don't have enough scrap to buy things I need.

Seriously, won't someone please ask them to add more weapon shops? Or at least make the federation base a weapon shop?
tazardar

Re: Not enough weapons?

Postby tazardar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi,

You should really consider reading some other posts. The randomness is the number one discussed topic about this game. Some love it, calling it the essence of roguelikes, some hate it, calling it unfair and too much luck dependent. So the devs can't compromize there, because there is no middle ground.

No need to abandon the game though. Modders are going to help you. This forum will be flooded with mods, altering the amount of shops, the droprate of weapons, starting ships and so on, so that you can pick and choose to design the game to your liking. Wait a few days/weeks and check this forum regularly. People are on it.

TAz

Edit: Mods of this forum, please consider making a sticky post with a discussion about the randomness. 2/3 of all topics are about that.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm

If you're not getting enough weapons, then don't focus on weapons. Get drones and a teleport instead, those are just as effective.
Tridus

Postby Tridus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Try to explore as much of the system as you can, so you encounter more shops. Also if you take over a ship without destroying it (killing the crew with transporter invasions, boarding drones, suffocation by taking out the O2 generator, etc) you get both more scrap and a higher chance at a reward like a weapon.

Sometimes you will have bad luck though.
TrashMan

Postby TrashMan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:52 pm

tazardar wrote:Hi,

You should really consider reading some other posts. The randomness is the number one discussed topic about this game. Some love it, calling it the essence of roguelikes, some hate it, calling it unfair and too much luck dependent. So the devs can't compromize there, because there is no middle ground.

Actually there is. To have randomness, but not to such an extent that it renders player imput irrelevant.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 pm

TrashMan wrote:

Actually there is. To have randomness, but not to such an extent that it renders player imput irrelevant.

Which is pretty much exactly where this game lies. Yay!
Telemont

Postby Telemont » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the response!
Maze1125 wrote:If you're not getting enough weapons, then don't focus on weapons. Get drones and a teleport instead, those are just as effective.
Teleport is fun, but you run out of drone parts really fast.
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 pm

No need to abandon the game though. Modders are going to help you. This forum will be flooded with mods, altering the amount of shops, the droprate of weapons, starting ships and so on, so that you can pick and choose to design the game to your liking. Wait a few days/weeks and check this forum regularly. People are on it.

TAz

Edit: Mods of this forum, please consider making a sticky post with a discussion about the randomness. 2/3 of all topics are about that.

actually there is a middle ground

make it so that one can win every play through based entirely on skill, but require different styles.
as in you don't always get what you want, but you get what you need.
Then add a mode in which the enemies are so strong you can only kill ones you have some advantage over and the rest you have to jump away from. I'm sure that would be "rouge-like" enough to make anyone punch their computer screen.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Getting a weapon that can destroy the final boss is a very important part of the journey. I made it twice only to fail to deliver enough damage. Once i also ran out of missiles...

You really have to balance beacon to beacon survival with building an effictive killing machine for one specific fight. At least you can unlock stuff even if you fail.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.