Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Jimli_

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby Jimli_ » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 am

Welp, that ship I've posted so many times in this thread is finally complete. The .ftl file is complete, I'll putting it out tomorrow. Until then, here's the final version of the ship's hull.

ImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:22 pm

looking good!

Also I am more and more interested in making a mod that is basically about every key person in the FTL modding community and Youtube Community (do not know enough of the Reddit community or beyond the modding community to do anyone there). Most of these will be text events and potential enemy encounters. Ranging from the ability to get the person as a crew member (ie: Getting UltraMantis as a crew member as a well.. a Mantis. After defeating him in a dual. Or a textbased event to get RussianRockman in a Civilian sector of a Russian dominant human colony after a few blue events here and there... Perhaps have a Federation Station go AWOL as is occupied by Rebels, clearing it out will find that Sleeper Service locked himself in a room on the station where the Rebels wouldn't find him and requests to join your crew. etc. Won't give to much away on how many will be in or what kind of events it'll be but those are a few examples. Attempting to be a homage to their mods and contributions to the FTL community as well as a spice or flare of their favorite alien race/ ship.)

One of my firsts will be an engagement with the Viper assault-cruiser... originally made by DryEagle.
However DryEagle is famous for being thinking outside the box and exploring in the FTL coding and stuff. However his artwork isn't so elaborate... one of his first mods being the Viper assault cruiser (a recoloured flip slug light cruiser).
So for most of these events and enemy encounters I need new graphics for his ships and weapons... so far I've done both.
Image Image
And I did not forget his "Venom canon"... due to how similar they perform to Captains Editions phase ions (more like a super phase ion of doom and fires) I took the combination of the heavy laser (the original graphic of it) and the phase ion (Sleeper Service for Captains Edition created the Phase Ions, despite the fact I virtually spliced it beyond recognition I feel the need to credit him, it is my main source of inspiration of course)
WIll be adding more venom canons as well... as well as creating some toxin beams and such to give it a more unique weapon load out.
The event will give you a non-viper painted slightly nerfed version
I will credit everyone for their original work and such when need be. For most of the people I want to have most of them are sort of... not online very often in the past 2+ years. I will not attempt to disrespect them or their work nor attempt to pass of the inspiration or reuse of their designs in my mod as my own. In some cases I took a lot of effort to create these such as DryEagles viper cruiser (lots of unique parts and re-shading and gradienting) and such.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:44 pm

(@)_(@)

I must play this glorious thing!! Could you possibly release it as just a vanilla player ship?
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:16 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Also I am more and more interested in making a mod that is basically about every key person in the FTL modding community ...

That edit of the Viper looks really good, R4V3! DryEagle's ship mods were one of the things that first got me into modding too--when I first started out I thought those were some really cool ships, but as I became more familiar with FTL's resources and gibs, I realized where some of his ship hulls came from, heh. That's also a very nice Venom Cannon, quite fearsome looking.

Out of curiosity....will I be in the mod? :P (If I'm not, no big deal)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 pm

I think the venom cannon needs a bit more green.
Otherwise I can't wait to give it a try.
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:45 am

Also I am more and more interested in making a mod that is basically about every key person in the FTL modding community and Youtube Community

Shite, time to start pumping the mods out as quick as I can.

Oh, have you also heard of my new youtube channel?
ImageImageImage
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:22 am

elijahdb wrote:(@)_(@)

I must play this glorious thing!! Could you possibly release it as just a vanilla player ship?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dbtof ... r-R4V3.ftl

I can't test this, so I don't know if I successfully modified the original file with R4V3-0N's graphics from the post above.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 am

NarnKar wrote:
That edit of the Viper looks really good, R4V3! DryEagle's ship mods were one of the things that first got me into modding too--when I first started out I thought those were some really cool ships, but as I became more familiar with FTL's resources and gibs, I realized where some of his ship hulls came from, heh. That's also a very nice Venom Cannon, quite fearsome looking.

Out of curiosity....will I be in the mod? :P (If I'm not, no big deal)

Mhm, Personally for me the ship that got me into modding was um... I think it was a "Pyro Kestrel" cruiser, The "pyro", the "Obsidian cruiser", the "Archon", and a few other ships... as well as some later on like the Rock Sun Fury.
However personally I think the one that really got me into modding was FTL: Foundation of the Federation. Mods like that are what I really like. I did get WhaleCancers permission to work on that mod and once I got time available to myself I will start cracking into it and later on do my Engi Brigade mod. Sadly it's not quite a 1 person job, and my event modding is rather poor and I do not have nearly no time to test what so ever... so testers and people to check for mistakes would vastly improve my modding speed.

But anyway, moving on... Dry Eagle form what I feel is a key figure in early FTL modding, all the youtubers had his mods on their channel, all of them... as well as his mods being one of the only mods being well, having lots of people wanting to update to AE.
He was the phenomena before Captains Edition I guess. But anyway I wanted the Venom canon to be a mix of the heavy laser (my favorite laser in FTL and which I find personally a lil scary looking.) and the phase ions (giving a sharp look to them that instils a lil bit of fear). I wanted the venom cannon to be something scary and cool looking, Despite the fact this art was originally meant to be the Venom mk I, it was a little bit over done and too big/ scary looking, it'll be the mk II and I need to find ways to make a mk I work xD

Also, I will not disclose who will be in my mod or not until I reveal the ship and/or event they'll be involve in...
however to make it as easy to do and produce the most fitting mod for the job I do suggest to list down your favorite faction and most relatable in FTL... and any other words such as interactions with a civilian/ friendly vessel or not
Image -innocent whistling that isn't hinting at anything-

stylesrj wrote:I think the venom cannon needs a bit more green.
Otherwise I can't wait to give it a try.

Perhaps give some green glow on the 'enemy' venom cannon, I made it white-ish as it was primarily an ion weapon and my earlier attempts and a green glow didn't quite work out well, but a second dry never hurts!

elijahdb wrote:(@)_(@)

I do indeed plan on having this as a player ship with 3 layouts as well... here's the other 2 (note: the recolors are not done... however I am lost on what to do for the type B... since this isn't a vanilla ship and no vanilla paint job matches it...)

Jimli_ wrote:
Shite, time to start pumping the mods out as quick as I can.

Oh, have you also heard of my new youtube channel?

No, I have not heard of your new youtube channel, is it better than y our old youtube channel? :)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:05 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I do indeed plan on having this as a player ship

I tried to blindly update the Viper with the graphics provided above, but eight hours later and I still don't see the post. I guess no moderators have come by to verify the post. The new venom cannon above has overlapping frames in three places.

If my post does show up, I hope you don't mind. It seems you have more plans than just these two graphic changes, so it shouldn't really harm your final Viper update.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 am

RAD-82 wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:I do indeed plan on having this as a player ship

I tried to blindly update the Viper with the graphics provided above, but eight hours later and I still don't see the post. I guess no moderators have come by to verify the post. The new venom cannon above has overlapping frames in three places.

If my post does show up, I hope you don't mind. It seems you have more plans than just these two graphic changes, so it shouldn't really harm your final Viper update.

Do you want the gibs at the very least or you've got that sorted? :roll:
Also I see where the animations overlap. It's always the 1 pixel animation problems that usually screw me up in the long run.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.