"I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!" Achievment Broken

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Eldergias

"I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!" Achievment Broken

Postby Eldergias » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:42 am

I have been trying, and failing to get the "I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!" achievement. Two games ago I made it to sector 5, but I found a weapon on a ship I defeated. Though this is not a "system/reactor" upgrade, I figured so be it.

I just made it to sector 5 with no additions to my ship systems or reactor. All I did was upgrade the doors, helm, and sold the "crystal vengence" augmentation. Either "subsystems" count as "systems", in which case the achievement should also specify "subsystems" since "systems" is its own labeled section, or else selling an augmentation counts as a "system/reactor" upgrade. Neither one makes sense with the wording of the achievement. Next time I will try to change nothing what-so-ever, but either the achievement description should be changed to reflect what cannot be changed or else the achievement is broken and needs to be fixed.
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: "I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!" Achievment Broken

Postby Matthew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 am

Subsystems count as systems. Sorry for the confusion. Just any upgrade bought on the Ship Info screen counts. You can get as many weapons / augments / etc. as you'd like :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 am

Eldergias wrote:...All I did was upgrade the doors, helm, and sold the "crystal vengence" augmentation...

Subsytems count as upgrades i'm affraid, the doors and helm upgrades caused you to fail the achievement. Selling the aug has no effect.

You must reach s5 without spending any scrap on upgrades to systems or reactor. Effectively this limits your ship to it's starting level for the first 4 sectors. You may buy/repair at stores (not sure if you may buy systems like teleporter or cloak though, but probably not), and you may swap weapons any way you like. If you think you can go on and win the game in the end, then keep whatever equipment in the cargo hold, and hoard scrap to spend on upgrades in s5.

Probably the easiest ship to do this in would be the Kestrel or Nesasio. Kestrel has nice guns, and the Nesasio has fast engines, LR sensors and a cloak. You can explore sector 1, earn whatever scrap you can, then go straight for the exit of sectors 2-4 stopping only for fuel at stores.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Eldergias

Postby Eldergias » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks for the info! I was able to get the achievement by not upgrading anything.
mojo

Postby mojo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 am

I just got this after purchasing the crew teleporter, so it looks like it's literally just upgrades (and purchasing cloak / etc won't count against it).
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 am

mojo wrote:I just got this after purchasing the crew teleporter, so it looks like it's literally just upgrades (and purchasing cloak / etc won't count against it).

Great news, thanks for confirming this. :) I allways held out on buying additional system fearing they would prevent the achiement.
roryokane

Re: "I don't need no stinkin' upgrades!" Achievement Broken

Postby roryokane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Further information about what disqualifies you for the achievement: you can still get the achievement even if one of the new Advanced Edition events gives you an upgrade. I gave 15 missiles to some people at a distress call, and they upgraded my Reactor by 1 without giving me a choice.

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get the achievement, but I got it in the end:

I reached one other event where I could have upgraded my reactor, when I found some Slugs and Rocks arguing over a debt and paid off the Rocks’ debt for them. The Slugs gave me a choice of upgrading my reactor for a price or doing nothing.

I chose to do nothing because it was possible that having a choice in the matter would mean that accepting the upgrade would prevent me from getting the achievement. Though I suspect that the developer didn’t bother to code in every event whether the upgrade was by choice or not, and just made all events not block the achievement. If anyone tries accepting an event choice that clearly leads to an upgrade, they should post their results.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 pm

I think you're fine if random events lead to upgrades because they're unpredictable and out of your control. You're not allowed to upgrade the ship yourself, that probably means only the ship upgrads menu.
SkiRudySki

Postby SkiRudySki » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:39 pm

Can confirm: if you choose to do an upgrade offered at a random event, you CAN still get the achievement. I had the event where I could offer supplies for a reactor upgrade. I did this, and still go the achievement wooooo!