Bug: Teleporting

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
macil

Bug: Teleporting

Postby macil » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi,

I just had a fairly rage-inducing moment.

I had a boarding party on a ship that was about to explode. However, I managed to get the retrieval teleport to engage and saw my members teleport off the ship -- which then proceeded to explode. The "disappear" animation was completed. My crew were in the "buffer" so-to-speak. I thought it was pretty epic, until my crew did not appear on my ship (4 members dead).

You may want to look into it--I had clearly teleported the crew OFF the ship before it exploded.

Thanks.
Derakon

Re: Bug: Teleporting

Postby Derakon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:31 am

Just to check, were the crew moving when you teleported them? It's a known problem that crew can't teleport unless they're standing still or are moving through the room they're pathing to. Otherwise you could jam a bunch of crew into the teleport room by making them walk back and forth through it and teleport way more than you're supposed to be able to.

...thought: why not just restrict the number of units allowed to be teleported based on the size of the room? Then the size-2 teleporter grabs the first 2 crew in the room that it finds, regardless of how big the room is, and the size-4 teleporter does the same but for 4 crew.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 am

Derakon, he said he saw his crew teleport so it's unlikely he was caught by that.

macil, I'll make sure to look into it. Thanks for mentioning it. Sorry about your crew.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
macil

Postby macil » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify further: I had moved 4 men into a 4 square room so I could teleport them all at once. I waited until they had all assembled into the room and then selected the room for retrieval. The beam up animation engulfed all of them and they disappeared -- then the ship immediately exploded -- and they did not re-appear on my ship.

I am guessing the game still sees the crew on the enemy ship rather than in a "buffer" until they re-appear on your own ship (this time frame may be very short, but I'm guessing the ship exploded at that very moment). I may have caught the tail end of the animation, i.e., even though it appeared visually complete (all crew had beamed up), programatically they were still there, so it flagged them for death.

The crew should be considered on "your ship" as soon as the "beam up (off the enemy ship)" animation visually completes--even if they have not yet "beamed down (onto your ship)".

Anywho, water under the bridge now. :)
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

macil wrote:Thanks for the replies.

To clarify further: I had moved 4 men into a 4 square room so I could teleport them all at once. I waited until they had all assembled into the room and then selected the room for retrieval. The beam up animation engulfed all of them and they disappeared -- then the ship immediately exploded -- and they did not re-appear on my ship.

I am guessing the game still sees the crew on the enemy ship rather than in a "buffer" until they re-appear on your own ship (this time frame may be very short, but I'm guessing the ship exploded at that very moment). I may have caught the tail end of the animation, i.e., even though it appeared visually complete (all crew had beamed up), programatically they were still there, so it flagged them for death.

The crew should be considered on "your ship" as soon as the "beam up (off the enemy ship)" animation visually completes--even if they have not yet "beamed down (onto your ship)".

Anywho, water under the bridge now. :)

In my experience, this usually actually is how the game treats beamed members - as soon as the "teleport" animation starts on the other ship, if I immediately pause, I can often select my own teleport room and assign them to places like the health room. Is there any chance that the last of the enemy ship's hull was lost before the teleport back had started?
ScottG

Postby ScottG » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:08 pm

I had something similar happen last night. I had two mantises on the command ship that were getting pummeled badly. One died from the enemy just before I was able to return them and the other disappeared from the enemy ship and was drawn in my ship. He died a fraction of a second later. It seems that while they may be removed from the enemy ship they are still "there" for a bit or the game has not quite applied to damage that is pending.

I killed the final guy anyway but I was hoping to rampage a bit more on his ship... ;)

BTW, great game. Me and two of my friends are hooked. I frequently play "with" one them over skype posting notable screenshots to steam as I go.

scott.
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:In my experience, this usually actually is how the game treats beamed members - as soon as the "teleport" animation starts on the other ship, if I immediately pause, I can often select my own teleport room and assign them to places like the health room. Is there any chance that the last of the enemy ship's hull was lost before the teleport back had started?

The enemy ship should immediately gib as soon as the last bit of hull is left, which should in turn make it impossible to interact with its rooms (e.g. for setting teleporter commands).

Regarding ScottG's post, I'm pretty sure I had a crewmember die on my ship after having been teleported back from his away mission. A bit annoying, that. I admit I was cutting it pretty fine, but still.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Derakon wrote:
Icehawk78 wrote:Regarding ScottG's post, I'm pretty sure I had a crewmember die on my ship after having been teleported back from his away mission. A bit annoying, that. I admit I was cutting it pretty fine, but still.

I've had that happen as well, more than once. Extremely frustrating.
Orso

Postby Orso » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Same here: lost a couple of Mantis teleporting back from enemy ship just before the fatal volley was shot.
The shots arrived, the ship exploded, and the two little green beings got lost in the warp.

RIP assault couple :cry: