Enemy ships can warp away without a pilot

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
jbowman

Enemy ships can warp away without a pilot

Postby jbowman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:09 am

I was in some random encounter and got the message "The enemy ship is trying to get away! They're powering their engines...", etc. So I transported my two crew to their piloting room. I was fighting them (and winning handily), so they shouldn't have been able to use that room. However, right before I killed their last crew member, the ship jumped away, taking my two crew members with them...!

Enemy ships should obey the same rules as your ship - if you don't have a pilot you can't jump.
TJJ

Re: Enemy ships can warp away without a pilot

Postby TJJ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:53 am

Combat on the bridge doesn't prevent piloting. (evasion & jump charging)

It's by design; otherwise it ends up being too easy to totally shutdown a ship's evasion ability.

The same rule applies to your crew too.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

DrNoid

Postby DrNoid » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Personally, I think combat on a ship should disable evasion unless you have an auto pilot, and jumping unless you have the upgraded auto pilot (2 upgrades = 3 levels in Piloting)
That would make the Piloting upgrades actually useful.
ParanoikCZE

Postby ParanoikCZE » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

DrNoid wrote:Personally, I think combat on a ship should disable evasion unless you have an auto pilot, and jumping unless you have the upgraded auto pilot (2 upgrades = 3 levels in Piloting)
That would make the Piloting upgrades actually useful.

++
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:02 pm

The Autopilot is very usefull when you have a small crew and need to repair lots of damaged systems, and when you get boarded and MUST run away into the medbay while decompressing the ship.

Autopilot upgrades are fine as is. You pay to have a semi-capable AI pilot the ship when the pilot is away instead of it being a sitting duck. You don't get better evasion, you get some small chance in hell to dodge shots without a pilot.

I agree that it isn't logical that someone can fight and pilot a ship at the same time, but it's a game limitation. There's no way in the game to kick and drag a boarder out of the room either.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm

This has already been reported, and is considered not a bug: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2492
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.