Game turning my computer off

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Rattregoondoof

Game turning my computer off

Postby Rattregoondoof » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 am

Yes for some reason the game is seriously turning my entire computer off (I am not kidding). I also would like to clarify the game itself is NOT crashing its completely turning my computer off. I really like the game and want to continue playing it but this is incredibly annoying. I know its the game and not something else because it only happens while I am playing the game. I have not messed with any of the default settings (I did download it through steam and have not changed any setting there either). The only other program I have running is google chrome and that is only watching youtube or blip videos while I play. I have no idea why this happens. Not sure if its relevant but I use windows 8 too so if that helps in some way. The game also severely slows down flash so that might be part of the cause. Can anybody help me with this?
5thHorseman

Re: Game turning my computer off

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 am

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason it's heating up your processor and the machine is shutting down to save itself from a meltdown.

No clue why it would do that for FTL and no other game.

You may be able to find more in the Windows Event Viewer logs.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:09 pm

Unless you're using Captain's Edition Infinite module, it has to be your computer. Try checking the heat sink or the cooling fan.

Otherwise, take it to your local tech people and see if they can help.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:46 am

I had heat-related shutdowns with vanilla FTL on a laptop.
Apparently nothing else was that demanding. :roll:

The laptop wasn't sitting on a rigid flat surface, so there was poor ventilation underneath.

Stuck a wooden board under it. Problem solved.