Untested workaround for monitors with less than 1280x720

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Jarmustard

Untested workaround for monitors with less than 1280x720

Postby Jarmustard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

This suggestion was emailed to us to make the game at least playable on netbooks and other systems with a resolution that's less than the requirements. It seems to let you easily scroll around the screen. Keep in mind it is untested and is not an official suggestion, just something that was brought to our attention that others may find useful.

I was so desperate to play I eventually stumbled across a rather smooth solution that I would like to share with you. It should work for other Windows users as well; from what I found in my research it does not appear to be a driver or hardware dependant feature, although it may react differently for other users (it worked on both of our low end Windows XP laptops - one with an integrated Intel GPU, and some generic integrated GPU in the other).

For Windows XP users:
1.) Right click on your desktop and select "Properties".
2.) Under the "Settings" tab, click on "Advanced" to open up the advanced menu.
3.) Select the "Monitor" tab of the advanced menu.
4.) Un-check the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot support" and click OK to apply.
5.) Now back in the Properties menu, under the Settings tab you will be able to select higher resolutions than your monitor natively supports. The options it presents seem to depend on what your GPU can offer. I found that selecting a resolution with the same vertical height as my monitor gave the best results (in my case 1280*768) although this may not be an available option for other computers.

With the higher resolution it enables a sort of screen scrolling function. By moving the cursor to the edge of the screen it pans a section of view across the higher resolution (eg in my case displaying a 1024*768 section of the new 1280*768 resolution).

Panning is so much easier than moving the window back and forth!

It appears you can also do this on Windows 7, although I haven't tried it out and have no idea if it does the scrolling thing too:
1.) Right click on your desktop and select "Screen Resolution".
2.) Click on the "Advanced Settings" link.
3.) Select the "Monitor" tab of the advanced settings menu.
4.) Un-check the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" and click Apply to apply it.
5.) Select the "Adapter" tab of the advanced settings menu.
6.) Click "List All Modes" then select the desired resolution, colour depth and refresh rate from the list.
(Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/25 ... tings.html)