5-10 second lag every jump

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Sabinn

5-10 second lag every jump

Postby Sabinn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:45 am

on Windows 8.1 the "My Games" folder is located on a network share (on my QNAP NAS).

Every jump there is a 5-10 second application freeze after a battle or directly after I FTL to a new beacon (presumably when the .sav file is being written).
Task Manager says FTL is "Not Responding" during the freeze.
Performance Monitor displays a 100% HDD usage spike during the freeze.

I am willing to move "My Games" to my local hdd but I am not willing to move "My Documents" which needs to stay on the NAS. Is there a way assign .sav files to a specific folder?

I have a Steam and Humble Bundle copy of FTL. What is the fix?
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: 5-10 second lag every jump

Postby Matthew » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:23 am

There's no way to currently move the save file. Without us making that change, I can't think of a fix for that issue. Terribly sorry about this. I can refund your purchase for the Humble Bundle copy of FTL if you email me at techsupport@ftlgame.com.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Vhati

Re: 5-10 second lag every jump

Postby Vhati » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Matthew wrote:There's no way to currently move the save file.

Article: FTLWiki - Portable USB, Setting save location in Windows
Using a batch file and a small amount of setup, one can change the save location of the game, which is especially useful for installation on a USB drive.
[...]
2) Create the folder that you wish to store your saves in, and create a folder named "Documents" inside of it (or "My Documents" on WinXP). If the subfolder doesn't exist, FTL will create one named "user" and store things there.

3) Create a batch file containing these commands:

SET USERPROFILE=DesiredSaveDirectory
CD /D "FTLInstallationDirectory"
START FTLGame.exe